New-to-me OEM computer

I just bought a used computer with an OEM copy of XP Pro. It came with no
media (CD). It is a couple years old (2002) and some components I may end up
upgrading (drive in particular, perhaps motherboard). I searched around on
this site and see that OEM licenses are really sticky regarding putting XP on
a "2nd" computer. My questions are, a) I've seen "Windows XP Pro Pre-install
kits" for sale on the 'net, is that sufficient for reinstalling/restoring XP
on this machine when/if it tanks, and b) what are my limitations/options for
upgrading the hardware?

I really wish MS would put this info in an easily-found location on their
homepage.

Should you purchase an OEM license version of XP?
http://www.tek-tips.com/gfaqs.cfm/pid/779/fid/4004

Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

OEM versions of Windows XP:

-- cannot upgrade over an existing Windows installation
-- cannot be transferred to a different computer in the future
-- may not be reused if changing to a different model motherboard
-- the license cannot be sold or transferred to another user
-- are not eligible for free Microsoft technical support
-- cost less than "retail versions" due to the above limitations

Retail versions of Windows XP:

-- can upgrade over an existing Windows installation
-- can be transferred to a different computer in the future
-- the license can be sold or transferred to another user
-- are eligible for free Microsoft technical support
-- cost more than "OEM versions" due to the above capabilities

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

In news:59A130A4-3EB7-48AA-84CE-766C2051C277@microsoft.com,
LGoTA <LGoTA@discussions.microsoft.com> respectfully replied ;-)
> I just bought a used computer with an OEM copy of XP Pro. It came
> with no media (CD). It is a couple years old (2002) and some
> components I may end up upgrading (drive in particular, perhaps
> motherboard). I searched around on this site and see that OEM
> licenses are really sticky regarding putting XP on a "2nd" computer.
> My questions are, a) I've seen "Windows XP Pro Pre-install kits" for
> sale on the 'net, is that sufficient for reinstalling/restoring XP on
> this machine when/if it tanks, and b) what are my limitations/options
> for upgrading the hardware?
>
> I really wish MS would put this info in an easily-found location on
> their homepage.

It is likely the Windows XP Pro Pre-install kit is not authentic. This
version is for licensed System Builders and not sold to consumers. You
should be very careful purchasing XP from eBay, fly by night vendors selling
only by download [this is blatant pirating] and from anywhere that sells at
a price that is too cheap to believe. Stick with well known vendors that
sell legitimate products.

Click on the link below, or copy and paste the link into the address box
if using the web based newsgroup.
Move XP to new hardware.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

--