Sign in with
Your question

Not good performance in oblivion

Last response: in Video Games
July 7, 2009 9:07:33 PM

I just bought oblivion on my new pc, and expected it to run really well. I'm currently only getting between 30-50 fps, and the game crashed for the first time today. I run it at 1920x1080 at full settings. The only mods I have running are a UI mod, and a few for increased performance (which isn't working). About a week ago my drivers were all up to date, but idt that be a problem because it's an old game. And idt the problem is my computer because I can run crysis on high at 30 fps.

My Specs:
Intel Core i7 920 cpu @ 2.67
3 gig ram
Diamond ATI Radeon 4870 1 gig ddr5ram
650 watt psu
EX58-UD4P Gigabyte mobo
July 7, 2009 9:52:18 PM

Are you using 1st person mode or 3rd person, I find FPS go down from 60-50 if Im in 3rd person mode.

My oblivion is modded to the hilt, including things like quarls Texture pack, most of the expansions body replacers the dragon mount etc etc etc. Im only playing at 1680x1050 at the moment but get up around 60fps out and about in jungles etc. I had no noticeably bad gameplay at 2048x1536 either, although it has to be said I didnt bother to run fraps to measure it - it was "perfectly acceptable" so I didnt need to. I seem to remember I butchered some of the config files to increase tree view distances and water and allsorts of stuff really hammering it in the name of image quality and had no performance issues...

Is your oblivion patched up to the latest version?

My rig is as per sig and Im using vista 64.
July 7, 2009 11:04:49 PM

My oblivion is fully patched, and i'm using the 1st person.
I tried switching it down to 1680x1050 and am gonna try and see if that works.
Related resources
July 10, 2009 3:55:39 PM

I lowered it to 1680x1050 and am still not getting a gain in performance.
July 14, 2009 5:52:58 PM

If you lowered the video resolution and still get the same performance then it is a safe bet that the performance bottleneck is not the video card, so the question becomes, where is it.

My guess would be the CPU. while you're running an i7 which is nice, my guess is oblivion does not use all 4 cores, and possibly not even 2 of them. At that point it becomes a issue of clock rate, and your running at 2.67 is mediocre at best.
July 15, 2009 7:01:43 AM

Youraputz said:
If you lowered the video resolution and still get the same performance then it is a safe bet that the performance bottleneck is not the video card, so the question becomes, where is it.

My guess would be the CPU. while you're running an i7 which is nice, my guess is oblivion does not use all 4 cores, and possibly not even 2 of them. At that point it becomes a issue of clock rate, and your running at 2.67 is mediocre at best.

I didnt have any problems with oblivion back when I was running an e6600 which was 2.4.

Easy way to check for that is to run system monitor in the background with a historical chart for both processors and alt tab out mid game to see if either core is being hit heavily.

From what I remember there is a setting in one of the configuration files that you can change that allegedly allows oblivion to make better use of multiple cores, but its one you have to manually edit in a text editor from what I remember.

Check out the processor use and see what thats at. Oblivion never taxes my processor much (I can track cpu use as I game with my g15 keyboard) my processor is at 3ghz. Ive still yet to play a game where the processor is making full use of both cores and stressing them both.
July 30, 2009 3:30:19 PM

That's normal for a stock core 920 and weak GPU.
July 30, 2009 7:59:23 PM

I wouldn't really calla 4870 a weak gpu. But anyways...if anybody knows how to do the thing dtq was talking about in making oblivion use the other cores, please post on here
July 30, 2009 8:41:40 PM

im playing oblivion maxed at 1920 1200 with hdr and i get perfect frame rate, never once seen it drop. I have a i7 920, 6g ram, and 4850 1gig. I dont know what my frame rates are exacty but if i had to make an good guess id say around 40fps average. Are you running aa and bloom or just hdr? i noticed a frame rate hit when i ran 8x aa and bloom, frame rates may have ducked into the mid teens in the forest, it was very laggy.
July 31, 2009 4:34:19 PM

LOL okay buddy you're on some drugs or something that is just pathetic
!