Wii + DVD playback

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Hi everyone,

I am considering buying a Wii console. As far as I can tell the unit will not play DVD out of the box.

I have been reading up on software that will allow the Wii to do this but have realised that there are plenty of scams in this regard.

Can someone kindly point me in the right direction please.

P.S. Isn't it strange that a console with the sufficient hardware to play DVD doesn't come with this functionality? Is there some reason for this or was I mislead? Just seems really strange.

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
It is rather strange, Btk, but I don't know if movies would look very good at 480p, which is what I think the Wii puts out.

I've always been a little perturbed by the Xbox not including wireless capability. It's already a relatively expensive unit, but to pay another $80 or so for wireless is shameful, especially when the Wii has it included at no additional cost (and the Wii is the cheapest!).

Pick your poison. It seems none of the consoles are willing to be the "everything you need" solution.

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Thanks for your reply Platypus.

Your right, I've got a great telly so why watch DVD movies at a low resolution. lol.

I guess I'm going to have to try to win the boss over and get the console.... and a new DVD player :)

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Cheers Kraynor,

The Wii was for my better half, she thinks it will be an excellent way to get her fitness fix. I was just being hopeful about DVD playback capabilities.

We have an Xbox in the house, I have momentarily taken possession of it from the young bloke to watch movies. Lol.

Wii for the lady of the house and a nice new DVD player burner / HDD recorder for me sounds enticing.

A crafty move on my part because I will probably spend more time on the Wii than her.

Muaahaahaa

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Since you've already got an Xbox, you could just wait for Natal to come out, there are surely going to be a handful of fitness games for that on release. Would cost you less in the long run.

TRENDING THREADS