Older monitor/newer Display driver

a b C Monitor
April 14, 2005 6:59:05 AM

This is the first step I can think to approach the use of an older monitor
, a Compaq V45 monitor , an Nvidia 56.73 Display driver . The display driver
loaded with a clean install of Windows XP Home Edition .
I downloaded a RAM file (DVD file) and the movie plays quite dark and
appears to have some rectangular sections in it sometimes instead of a
continuous picture , and what I think are artifacts , little 4 sided figures
with varied colours and shapes in them .
I want to know if it will be safe to install the latest 71.84 Nvidia
Display driver considering the monitor is old . Windows has the resolution
set to 800 x 600 @75MHz refresh rate .
--
signature
Anonymous

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 02:59:05 -0700, Umwhat wrote:

> This is the first step I can think to approach the use of an older monitor
> , a Compaq V45 monitor , an Nvidia 56.73 Display driver . The display driver
> loaded with a clean install of Windows XP Home Edition .
> I downloaded a RAM file (DVD file) and the movie plays quite dark and
> appears to have some rectangular sections in it sometimes instead of a
> continuous picture , and what I think are artifacts , little 4 sided figures
> with varied colours and shapes in them .
> I want to know if it will be safe to install the latest 71.84 Nvidia
> Display driver considering the monitor is old . Windows has the resolution
> set to 800 x 600 @75MHz refresh rate .

The monitor displays whatever information the display adapter sends to it.

The new display driver should not be a problem as it is for the display
adapter. The only caveat is selecting display settings (desktop size and
colors) that both the adapter and the monitor can support.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

In news:03B3B5C3-0AC4-44FA-A6FE-2879631F8D0E@microsoft.com,
Umwhat <me.somewhere@somewhere else.com> had this to say:

> This is the first step I can think to approach the use of an older
> monitor , a Compaq V45 monitor , an Nvidia 56.73 Display driver .
> The display driver loaded with a clean install of Windows XP Home
> Edition . I downloaded a RAM file (DVD file) and the movie plays
> quite dark and appears to have some rectangular sections in it
> sometimes instead of a continuous picture , and what I think are
> artifacts , little 4 sided figures with varied colours and shapes in
> them . I want to know if it will be safe to install the latest 71.84
> Nvidia
> Display driver considering the monitor is old . Windows has the
> resolution set to 800 x 600 @75MHz refresh rate .

You should be fine to use the updated drivers though that's likely not the
fix for your problem. I'd download and use the newest drivers anyways but,
more than likely, the RAM file itself is either a compressed/partial copy or
poorly recorded which is why you're seeing the problems. The updated drivers
probably aren't going to fix that.

Galen
a b C Monitor
April 14, 2005 6:16:02 PM

The file was downloaded from TBN , it was one of a dozen DVD files up to
400MB's and I had to use RealPlayer 10.5 to watch the movie . I'll go and ask
at RealPlayer website too . Thankyou for your time .

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:03B3B5C3-0AC4-44FA-A6FE-2879631F8D0E@microsoft.com,
> Umwhat <me.somewhere@somewhere else.com> had this to say:

> > This is the first step I can think to approach the use of an older
> > monitor , a Compaq V45 monitor , an Nvidia 56.73 Display driver .
> > The display driver loaded with a clean install of Windows XP Home
> > Edition . I downloaded a RAM file (DVD file) and the movie plays
> > quite dark and appears to have some rectangular sections in it
> > sometimes instead of a continuous picture , and what I think are
> > artifacts , little 4 sided figures with varied colours and shapes in
> > them . I want to know if it will be safe to install the latest 71.84
> > Nvidia
> > Display driver considering the monitor is old . Windows has the
> > resolution set to 800 x 600 @75MHz refresh rate .
>
> You should be fine to use the updated drivers though that's likely not the
> fix for your problem. I'd download and use the newest drivers anyways but,
> more than likely, the RAM file itself is either a compressed/partial copy or
> poorly recorded which is why you're seeing the problems. The updated drivers
> probably aren't going to fix that.
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
April 14, 2005 6:17:02 PM

OK , thankyou I'll try the newer driver .

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 02:59:05 -0700, Umwhat wrote:
>
> > This is the first step I can think to approach the use of an older monitor
> > , a Compaq V45 monitor , an Nvidia 56.73 Display driver . The display driver
> > loaded with a clean install of Windows XP Home Edition .
> > I downloaded a RAM file (DVD file) and the movie plays quite dark and
> > appears to have some rectangular sections in it sometimes instead of a
> > continuous picture , and what I think are artifacts , little 4 sided figures
> > with varied colours and shapes in them .
> > I want to know if it will be safe to install the latest 71.84 Nvidia
> > Display driver considering the monitor is old . Windows has the resolution
> > set to 800 x 600 @75MHz refresh rate .
>
> The monitor displays whatever information the display adapter sends to it.
>
> The new display driver should not be a problem as it is for the display
> adapter. The only caveat is selecting display settings (desktop size and
> colors) that both the adapter and the monitor can support.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

April 15, 2005 12:58:38 PM

In news:8BB265A4-B93D-454F-B618-6560EC5B07F6@microsoft.com,
Umwhat <me.somewhere@somewhere else.com> had this to say:

> The file was downloaded from TBN , it was one of a dozen DVD files up
> to 400MB's and I had to use RealPlayer 10.5 to watch the movie . I'll
> go and ask at RealPlayer website too . Thankyou for your time .

Another thing now that I think about it. Glad you posted back... Sometimes
codecs get updates as well and some players handle different file formats
better than others. Either updating to the newer codecs (if applicable) or
trying an alternate player MIGHT make a difference though you could play
around with slowing down hardware acceleration as well.

Here's a handy (and I'm told spyware/malware free) codec pack that's usually
updated often:

K-LiteCodecPack.com : Download Codecs, Videos and MP3s:
http://www.k-litecodecpack.com/

Galen
a b C Monitor
April 15, 2005 6:05:53 PM

Installing latter video drivers has nothing to do with the age of the
display. I have a 13" display that is almost 15 years old that I use to
troubleshoot client video issues. As long as you set the display to run at
800x600 and no faster than 75Hz then you're fine.

--
Walter Clayton
http://www.dts-l.org

"Umwhat" <me.somewhere@somewhere else.com> wrote in message
> This is the first step I can think to approach the use of an older
> monitor
> , a Compaq V45 monitor , an Nvidia 56.73 Display driver . The display
> driver
> loaded with a clean install of Windows XP Home Edition .
> I downloaded a RAM file (DVD file) and the movie plays quite dark and
> appears to have some rectangular sections in it sometimes instead of a
> continuous picture , and what I think are artifacts , little 4 sided
> figures
> with varied colours and shapes in them .
> I want to know if it will be safe to install the latest 71.84 Nvidia
> Display driver considering the monitor is old . Windows has the resolution
> set to 800 x 600 @75MHz refresh rate .
> --
> signature
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
April 16, 2005 9:32:01 PM

I did think not to set the monitor any higher than the WIndows
set refresh rate but once it showed a refresh rate of 100MHz . I don't
remember how I got it to do that but I tried to change it back to 70 or 75
MHz and the change made the monitor screen go black with the pattern across
it . I have installed the latest Nvidia Display driver and all is well .
Thankyou for feedback
Nicholas
"Walter Clayton" wrote:

> Installing latter video drivers has nothing to do with the age of the
> display. I have a 13" display that is almost 15 years old that I use to
> troubleshoot client video issues. As long as you set the display to run at
> 800x600 and no faster than 75Hz then you're fine.
>
> --
> Walter Clayton
> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Umwhat" <me.somewhere@somewhere else.com> wrote in message
> > This is the first step I can think to approach the use of an older
> > monitor
> > , a Compaq V45 monitor , an Nvidia 56.73 Display driver . The display
> > driver
> > loaded with a clean install of Windows XP Home Edition .
> > I downloaded a RAM file (DVD file) and the movie plays quite dark and
> > appears to have some rectangular sections in it sometimes instead of a
> > continuous picture , and what I think are artifacts , little 4 sided
> > figures
> > with varied colours and shapes in them .
> > I want to know if it will be safe to install the latest 71.84 Nvidia
> > Display driver considering the monitor is old . Windows has the resolution
> > set to 800 x 600 @75MHz refresh rate .
> > --
> > signature

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 12, 2005 3:05:01 AM

I'll just leave the driver as it is for now @ Windows installed v56.72 .
I have been using the default IGP chipset settings too but now that I
have matching Memory sticks and 512MB's of memory I think I can try to
overclock the IGP . I have the standard MSI cooling fan on the IGP chipset .
The default setting is 66 and I think that means it will make the IGP
FSB speed 122MHZ . The settings for the IGP setup enable let me set them as
high as 120 which makes the IGP speed 240MHz .
I find it difficult to believe people say they get an IGP speed of 385MHz
but they do report so .
I think the board system just cuts out to protect itself if anything goes
wrong so I think it is safe for me to go ahead .

"Umwhat" wrote:

> I did think not to set the monitor any higher than the WIndows
> set refresh rate but once it showed a refresh rate of 100MHz . I don't
> remember how I got it to do that but I tried to change it back to 70 or 75
> MHz and the change made the monitor screen go black with the pattern across
> it . I have installed the latest Nvidia Display driver and all is well .
> Thankyou for feedback
> Nicholas
> "Walter Clayton" wrote:
>
> > Installing latter video drivers has nothing to do with the age of the
> > display. I have a 13" display that is almost 15 years old that I use to
> > troubleshoot client video issues. As long as you set the display to run at
> > 800x600 and no faster than 75Hz then you're fine.
> >
> > --
> > Walter Clayton
> > Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
> > http://www.dts-l.org
> >

> > "Umwhat" <me.somewhere@somewhere else.com> wrote in message
> > > This is the first step I can think to approach the use of an older
> > > monitor
> > > , a Compaq V45 monitor , an Nvidia 56.73 Display driver . The display
> > > driver
> > > loaded with a clean install of Windows XP Home Edition .
> > > I downloaded a RAM file (DVD file) and the movie plays quite dark and
> > > appears to have some rectangular sections in it sometimes instead of a
> > > continuous picture , and what I think are artifacts , little 4 sided
> > > figures
> > > with varied colours and shapes in them .
> > > I want to know if it will be safe to install the latest 71.84 Nvidia
> > > Display driver considering the monitor is old . Windows has the resolution
> > > set to 800 x 600 @75MHz refresh rate .
> > > --
> > > signature

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 12, 2005 4:35:46 PM

On Wed, 11 May 2005 23:05:01 -0700, Umwhat wrote:

> I'll just leave the driver as it is for now @ Windows installed v56.72 .
> I have been using the default IGP chipset settings too but now that I
> have matching Memory sticks and 512MB's of memory I think I can try to
> overclock the IGP . I have the standard MSI cooling fan on the IGP chipset .
> The default setting is 66 and I think that means it will make the IGP
> FSB speed 122MHZ . The settings for the IGP setup enable let me set them as
> high as 120 which makes the IGP speed 240MHz .
> I find it difficult to believe people say they get an IGP speed of 385MHz
> but they do report so .
> I think the board system just cuts out to protect itself if anything goes
> wrong so I think it is safe for me to go ahead .
>
> "Umwhat" wrote:

Experimenting can be fun. Personally I think adding a graphics card suited
to your needs/expectations is a better option if you want better
performance than what the onboard video offers.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Yeah you be right , soon I will install a video card
I installed the newer Display driver , silly me , I should have just done
it , anyway before the newer driver the screen displayed rushing diagonal
lines across it and now it doesn't .

Thanks for reply
getting chilly in Auckland NZ

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Wed, 11 May 2005 23:05:01 -0700, Umwhat wrote:
>
> > I'll just leave the driver as it is for now @ Windows installed v56.72 .
> > I have been using the default IGP chipset settings too but now that I
> > have matching Memory sticks and 512MB's of memory I think I can try to
> > overclock the IGP . I have the standard MSI cooling fan on the IGP chipset .
> > The default setting is 66 and I think that means it will make the IGP
> > FSB speed 122MHZ . The settings for the IGP setup enable let me set them as
> > high as 120 which makes the IGP speed 240MHz .
> > I find it difficult to believe people say they get an IGP speed of 385MHz
> > but they do report so .
> > I think the board system just cuts out to protect itself if anything goes
> > wrong so I think it is safe for me to go ahead .
> >
> > "Umwhat" wrote:
> >

> Experimenting can be fun. Personally I think adding a graphics card suited
> to your needs/expectations is a better option if you want better
> performance than what the onboard video offers.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 17, 2005 6:48:17 AM

oh , I changed the monitor to a older monitor again but updated the driver
too , this time to a philips CM0200 14B ,

i forgot

better tell the teacher

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Wed, 11 May 2005 23:05:01 -0700, Umwhat wrote:
>
> > I'll just leave the driver as it is for now @ Windows installed v56.72 .
> > I have been using the default IGP chipset settings too but now that I
> > have matching Memory sticks and 512MB's of memory I think I can try to
> > overclock the IGP . I have the standard MSI cooling fan on the IGP chipset .
> > The default setting is 66 and I think that means it will make the IGP
> > FSB speed 122MHZ . The settings for the IGP setup enable let me set them as
> > high as 120 which makes the IGP speed 240MHz .
> > I find it difficult to believe people say they get an IGP speed of 385MHz
> > but they do report so .
> > I think the board system just cuts out to protect itself if anything goes
> > wrong so I think it is safe for me to go ahead .
> >
> > "Umwhat" wrote:
> >

> Experimenting can be fun. Personally I think adding a graphics card suited
> to your needs/expectations is a better option if you want better
> performance than what the onboard video offers.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
May 17, 2005 12:26:06 PM

On Tue, 17 May 2005 02:48:17 -0700, Umwhat wrote:

> oh , I changed the monitor to a older monitor again but updated the driver
> too , this time to a philips CM0200 14B ,
>
> i forgot
>
> better tell the teacher

:)

As long as you have things moving along in the right direction, that's
good.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

yes , I just reinstalled the newest monitor I have .

!