Is there a games recorder out there that wont slowfps?!

coolkid9998

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
hi, i am trying to record videos for crysis and i am playing on dx9,1440x900,everything on low. i get about 60-70 fps avg while fraps is showing in-game fps. but when i record myself playing, it drops down to the 20's. i have recorded my friends on the game through spectating and there is no problem. it only drops when i record myself. is there something i have to set differently or do i just need a different recording software?

my specs are-
8800 gts 512mb
intel core 2 duo 5550@ 1.83 ghz
windows vista home premium
4gb ram

what should i do?
thanks.

coolkid9998

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
cpu from 1.8 to 3ghz?could you do that? idk how to overclock i dont want to mess up the pc. is it possible for a pc noob to overclock if given the appropriate directions? are you sure thats what would fix the prob?

randomizer

Champion
FRAPS will always cap the framerate to the recording framerate at the most. Usually it incurs an additional performance penalty though. Recording at 25FPS means you will be capped at 25FPS max, but will probably come under that by a few FPS usually. Recording at 30FPS is pretty optimal. 40FPS will require a fast HDD and CPU, because of the sheer amount of data that is being captured and written to the HDD. For me, I often found recording at 40FPS ended up slowing me down to 20FPS because my HDD simply couldn't keep up. Try out different settings, and don't forget the magic option for recording at half size. It's all about experimentation.

Remember that the higher the recording framerate and higher the resolution, the larger the file size, and the longer it will take to encode into something alot smaller in size.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I personally have found no issues with Fraps regarding the FPS during the recording.

However, becareful as to what you set as the hotkey... I accidently filled my HDD by hitting the record hotkey while playing a game, and only discovered when Windows warned me I was out of space.

coolkid9998

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
ok thanks all very useful info ;D but keep the answers coming...sorry dont mean to change my own subject but where can i find out how to overclock my cpu so it can run a high fps recording with fraps?

TRENDING THREADS