Serial Port RS232

I would like to send esc chr sequences and content to a serial printer via
the rs232 com1 port on my XP Pro pc . This goes without any problems on a
windows 98 SE pc , but on my XP pc I get a device timeout . The program is a
dos QBasic code .Appreciating any help .

Hans
11 answers Last reply
More about serial port rs232

    Hi,

    If you are trying to talk directly to the serial port, it won't work. WinXP
    doesn't allow direct hardware addressing by a program.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "hans.vdpl" <hans.vdpl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I would like to send esc chr sequences and content to a serial printer via
    > the rs232 com1 port on my XP Pro pc . This goes without any problems on a
    > windows 98 SE pc , but on my XP pc I get a device timeout . The program is
    > dos QBasic code .Appreciating any help .
    >
    > Hans

    Fine , but how do I get around this problem ? I need to be able to talk to
    this port on an XP platform .
    Thanks for any help/hint/solution

    Hans

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > If you are trying to talk directly to the serial port, it won't work. WinXP
    > doesn't allow direct hardware addressing by a program.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "hans.vdpl" <hans.vdpl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I would like to send esc chr sequences and content to a serial printer via
    > > the rs232 com1 port on my XP Pro pc . This goes without any problems on a
    > > windows 98 SE pc , but on my XP pc I get a device timeout . The program is
    > > dos QBasic code .Appreciating any help .
    > >
    > > Hans

    Hi Hans,
    Maybe UserPort will assist you.
    http://www.embeddedtronics.com/design&ideas.html

    <QUOTE>
    UserPort is a simple kernel mode driver for Windows NT/2000/XP that will
    give programs access to I/O ports. This makes it possible to access the
    hardware I/O ports directly under Windows NT/2000/XP just like 95/98/ME.
    Under XP, you may have to set the compatibility mode for the executable
    to "Windows 98" mode. We do not support Minidaq running on Windows
    NT/2000/XP operating systems due to using a 3rd party driver, however it
    does seem to run fine with the systems we have here in the lab.
    </QUOTE>

    Tot ziens, Eric

    hans.vdpl wrote:
    > Fine , but how do I get around this problem ? I need to be able to talk to
    > this port on an XP platform .
    > Thanks for any help/hint/solution
    >
    > Hans
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>If you are trying to talk directly to the serial port, it won't work. WinXP
    >>doesn't allow direct hardware addressing by a program.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Best of Luck,
    >>
    >>Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    >>http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >>Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    >>www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >>"hans.vdpl" <hans.vdpl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I would like to send esc chr sequences and content to a serial printer via
    >>>the rs232 com1 port on my XP Pro pc . This goes without any problems on a
    >>>windows 98 SE pc , but on my XP pc I get a device timeout . The program is
    >>>dos QBasic code .Appreciating any help .
    >>>
    >>>Hans

    Rick, really?
    I suspect I'm either not understanding the question or the answer, not
    sure which. Nor do I know if it's "direct access" for sure, but I thought
    it was:

    The following commands both worked just now, from a Command Prompt within
    windows; I didn't try from a booted command prompt:
    copy fname lpt1:
    copy fname lpt2:
    Then I slapped both into a batch file and ran it, and got the same results
    except the batch file I could add the command to FF the paper & so I didn't
    have to manually press the FF button on the printer.

    Oh, XP Pro SP2/updates, one Serial connected, one USB connected. printer.

    Wouldn't QDOS do the same thing? It seems not, from your response.

    Why do I care?
    Because I'm in the process of writing some similar basic routines and plan
    to print to a printer at completion. They're batch files with calls to
    ..exe's to do the "real" work.

    Guess I'd better go test it; but even if it works it'll leave me with the
    curiousity; what am I missing?. Comments please?

    TIA,

    Pop

    > Hi,
    >
    > If you are trying to talk directly to the serial port, it won't work.
    > WinXP doesn't allow direct hardware addressing by a program.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "hans.vdpl" <hans.vdpl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I would like to send esc chr sequences and content to a serial printer via
    >> the rs232 com1 port on my XP Pro pc . This goes without any problems on a
    >> windows 98 SE pc , but on my XP pc I get a device timeout . The program
    >> is a
    >> dos QBasic code .Appreciating any help .
    >>
    >> Hans

    Hi,

    The command prompt within Windows uses the device drivers to execute the
    commands - keep in mind that this is not DOS even though it looks like it,
    it's just an emulator. A program written to directly address the hardware
    via the program code without going through this layer won't work in
    protected mode.

    --

    "Pop" <nobody@devnull.spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > Rick, really?
    > I suspect I'm either not understanding the question or the answer, not
    > sure which. Nor do I know if it's "direct access" for sure, but I thought
    > it was:
    >
    > The following commands both worked just now, from a Command Prompt within
    > windows; I didn't try from a booted command prompt:
    > copy fname lpt1:
    > copy fname lpt2:
    > Then I slapped both into a batch file and ran it, and got the same results
    > except the batch file I could add the command to FF the paper & so I
    > didn't have to manually press the FF button on the printer.
    >
    > Oh, XP Pro SP2/updates, one Serial connected, one USB connected. printer.
    >
    > Wouldn't QDOS do the same thing? It seems not, from your response.
    >
    > Why do I care?
    > Because I'm in the process of writing some similar basic routines and plan
    > to print to a printer at completion. They're batch files with calls to
    > .exe's to do the "real" work.
    >
    > Guess I'd better go test it; but even if it works it'll leave me with the
    > curiousity; what am I missing?. Comments please?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Pop

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> If you are trying to talk directly to the serial port, it won't work.
    >> WinXP doesn't allow direct hardware addressing by a program.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "hans.vdpl" <hans.vdpl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>>I would like to send esc chr sequences and content to a serial printer
    >>>via
    >>> the rs232 com1 port on my XP Pro pc . This goes without any problems on
    >>> windows 98 SE pc , but on my XP pc I get a device timeout . The program
    >>> is a
    >>> dos QBasic code .Appreciating any help .
    >>>
    >>> Hans

    I agree, and I understand your points. But, if my batch files work OK, why
    wouldn't QBasic or whatever he said he was using? I think I mis-named it in
    my previous post, BTW.

    As I said it seems to work fine in the tests I'm doing here; what is it that
    would be giving QBasic problems? I know Basic fairly well though I don't
    have a version installed here and using the LPT shouldn't be much of a
    problem? Or am I using my blind eye again?

    I'm not debating or intimating that you are wrong: I just want to know
    what's up.

    I looked briefly without success: Do you think there is a better group to
    ask this question in ? I'd like to do some followup for my own benefit.

    Regrads,
    Pop
    --
    Let someone else do it
    I'm retired!

    > Hi,
    >
    > The command prompt within Windows uses the device drivers to execute the
    > commands - keep in mind that this is not DOS even though it looks like it,
    > it's just an emulator. A program written to directly address the hardware
    > via the program code without going through this layer won't work in
    > protected mode.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Pop" <nobody@devnull.spamcop.net> wrote in message
    >> Rick, really?
    >> I suspect I'm either not understanding the question or the answer, not
    >> sure which. Nor do I know if it's "direct access" for sure, but I
    >> thought it was:
    >>
    >> The following commands both worked just now, from a Command Prompt within
    >> windows; I didn't try from a booted command prompt:
    >> copy fname lpt1:
    >> copy fname lpt2:
    >> Then I slapped both into a batch file and ran it, and got the same
    >> results except the batch file I could add the command to FF the paper &
    >> so I didn't have to manually press the FF button on the printer.
    >>
    >> Oh, XP Pro SP2/updates, one Serial connected, one USB connected. printer.
    >>
    >> Wouldn't QDOS do the same thing? It seems not, from your response.
    >>
    >> Why do I care?
    >> Because I'm in the process of writing some similar basic routines and
    >> plan to print to a printer at completion. They're batch files with calls
    >> to .exe's to do the "real" work.
    >>
    >> Guess I'd better go test it; but even if it works it'll leave me with the
    >> curiousity; what am I missing?. Comments please?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >>
    >> Pop
    >>
    >> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> If you are trying to talk directly to the serial port, it won't work.
    >>> WinXP doesn't allow direct hardware addressing by a program.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Best of Luck,

    >>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >>> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    >>> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>>
    >>> "hans.vdpl" <hans.vdpl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Hi
    I will try out the answers given
    and report in due time
    tx
    hans

    "hans.vdpl" wrote:

    > I would like to send esc chr sequences and content to a serial printer via
    > the rs232 com1 port on my XP Pro pc . This goes without any problems on a
    > windows 98 SE pc , but on my XP pc I get a device timeout . The program is a
    > dos QBasic code .Appreciating any help .
    >
    > Hans

    Hi Pop,

    To put it simply as I can, some program code, depending on the language and
    how it is assembled, will load the address of the intended port and attempt
    to write directly to it. In WinXP this is not allowed in the normal runtime
    environment, though you could do this through the underlying 16-bit
    subsystem in Win9x systems. In XP, only the drivers can address the
    hardware, so you must go through them when writing program code. In the case
    of the lpt1 port (378h), you can run the command emulator as it translates
    the output to go through the driver. In the case of Qbasic, if the code is
    written to load the address of the port and directly output data to it, it
    won't work.

    --

    >I agree, and I understand your points. But, if my batch files work OK, why
    >wouldn't QBasic or whatever he said he was using? I think I mis-named it
    >in my previous post, BTW.
    >
    > As I said it seems to work fine in the tests I'm doing here; what is it
    > that would be giving QBasic problems? I know Basic fairly well though I
    > don't have a version installed here and using the LPT shouldn't be much of
    > a problem? Or am I using my blind eye again?
    >
    > I'm not debating or intimating that you are wrong: I just want to know
    > what's up.
    >
    > I looked briefly without success: Do you think there is a better group to
    > ask this question in ? I'd like to do some followup for my own benefit.
    >
    > Regrads,
    > Pop
    > --
    > Let someone else do it
    > I'm retired!

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> The command prompt within Windows uses the device drivers to execute the
    >> commands - keep in mind that this is not DOS even though it looks like
    >> it, it's just an emulator. A program written to directly address the
    >> hardware via the program code without going through this layer won't work
    >> in protected mode.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Pop" <nobody@devnull.spamcop.net> wrote in message
    >>> Rick, really?
    >>> I suspect I'm either not understanding the question or the answer, not
    >>> sure which. Nor do I know if it's "direct access" for sure, but I
    >>> thought it was:
    >>>
    >>> The following commands both worked just now, from a Command Prompt
    >>> within windows; I didn't try from a booted command prompt:
    >>> copy fname lpt1:
    >>> copy fname lpt2:
    >>> Then I slapped both into a batch file and ran it, and got the same
    >>> results except the batch file I could add the command to FF the paper &
    >>> so I didn't have to manually press the FF button on the printer.
    >>>
    >>> Oh, XP Pro SP2/updates, one Serial connected, one USB connected.
    >>> printer.
    >>>
    >>> Wouldn't QDOS do the same thing? It seems not, from your response.
    >>>
    >>> Why do I care?
    >>> Because I'm in the process of writing some similar basic routines and
    >>> plan to print to a printer at completion. They're batch files with
    >>> calls to .exe's to do the "real" work.
    >>>
    >>> Guess I'd better go test it; but even if it works it'll leave me with
    >>> the curiousity; what am I missing?. Comments please?
    >>>
    >>> TIA,
    >>>
    >>> Pop
    >>>
    >>> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message

    Ah yes, of course; I should have been able to visualize that but didn't. It
    means I have a little more empirical work to do; and you've likely saved me
    from some frustration down the road. Best laid plans and all that stuff.

    Thanks for your time and patience,

    Pop
    --
    Let someone else do it
    I'm retired!

    > Hi Pop,
    >
    > To put it simply as I can, some program code, depending on the language
    > and how it is assembled, will load the address of the intended port and
    > attempt to write directly to it. In WinXP this is not allowed in the
    > normal runtime environment, though you could do this through the
    > underlying 16-bit subsystem in Win9x systems. In XP, only the drivers can
    > address the hardware, so you must go through them when writing program
    > code. In the case of the lpt1 port (378h), you can run the command
    > emulator as it translates the output to go through the driver. In the case
    > of Qbasic, if the code is written to load the address of the port and
    > directly output data to it, it won't work.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Pop" <nobody@devnull.spamcop.net> wrote in message
    >>I agree, and I understand your points. But, if my batch files work OK,
    >>why wouldn't QBasic or whatever he said he was using? I think I mis-named
    >>it in my previous post, BTW.
    >>
    >> As I said it seems to work fine in the tests I'm doing here; what is it
    >> that would be giving QBasic problems? I know Basic fairly well though I
    >> don't have a version installed here and using the LPT shouldn't be much
    >> of a problem? Or am I using my blind eye again?
    >>
    >> I'm not debating or intimating that you are wrong: I just want to know
    >> what's up.
    >>
    >> I looked briefly without success: Do you think there is a better group
    >> to ask this question in ? I'd like to do some followup for my own
    >> benefit.
    >>
    >> Regrads,
    >> Pop
    >> --
    >> Let someone else do it
    >> I'm retired!
    >>
    >> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> The command prompt within Windows uses the device drivers to execute the
    >>> commands - keep in mind that this is not DOS even though it looks like
    >>> it, it's just an emulator. A program written to directly address the
    >>> hardware via the program code without going through this layer won't
    >>> work in protected mode.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Best of Luck,

    >>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >>> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    >>> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>>
    >>> "Pop" <nobody@devnull.spamcop.net> wrote in message

    >"hans.vdpl" <hans.vdpl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I would like to send esc chr sequences and content to a serial printer via
    >> the rs232 com1 port on my XP Pro pc . This goes without any problems on a
    >> windows 98 SE pc , but on my XP pc I get a device timeout . The program is
    >> dos QBasic code .Appreciating any help .

    QBasic uses the com port like a file and opens and closes it.
    This works in 2K, but is apparently broken in XP and hangs. It
    doesn't appear to be they usual hardware access issue. You can
    "echo" bytes to the com port in XP pro using a batch file if
    needed. You probably can also "type" the bytes or the txt info to
    the com port. The below page shows one way I do it.

    http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/byte.htm

    Hello,
    I tried out the user port driver, and eventually the whole system crashed .
    Userport does apparently not like ntfts .Also the userport.sys had not been
    installed properly
    There is another driver giveio.sys and I will give that a try .

    tx
    Hans
    "Eric P." wrote:

    > Hi Hans,
    > Maybe UserPort will assist you.
    > http://www.embeddedtronics.com/design&ideas.html
    >
    > <QUOTE>
    > UserPort is a simple kernel mode driver for Windows NT/2000/XP that will
    > give programs access to I/O ports. This makes it possible to access the
    > hardware I/O ports directly under Windows NT/2000/XP just like 95/98/ME.
    > Under XP, you may have to set the compatibility mode for the executable
    > to "Windows 98" mode. We do not support Minidaq running on Windows
    > NT/2000/XP operating systems due to using a 3rd party driver, however it
    > does seem to run fine with the systems we have here in the lab.
    > </QUOTE>
    >
    > Tot ziens, Eric
    >
    > hans.vdpl wrote:
    > > Fine , but how do I get around this problem ? I need to be able to talk to
    > > this port on an XP platform .
    > > Thanks for any help/hint/solution
    > >
    > > Hans
    > >
    > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    > >

    > >>Hi,
    > >>
    > >>If you are trying to talk directly to the serial port, it won't work. WinXP
    > >>doesn't allow direct hardware addressing by a program.
    > >>
    > >>--
    > >>Best of Luck,
    > >>
    > >>Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    > >>http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > >>Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > >>www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >>Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >>
    > >>"hans.vdpl" <hans.vdpl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Microsoft Windows XP