Help with Diablo's seals please

Hi all,
A friend of mine recently gave me this game and told me about this
website to be filled with resourceful players. Well, without further
ado, I started the game and picked the barbarian since he was in the
middle of the group. I think I've been doing well, I am (he is) level
33 and onto the third quest of Act IV, "Find Diablo in his sanctuary".
The transparent winged dude near the Waypoint said that I will have to
unlock 5 seals before the devil will show up. I succesfully unlocked 4
of them, but the 5th one could not be unlocked (clicked).

So what do I miss here? I clicked all the hung skeletons & trapped
souls, killed all the enemies, completed all previous quests, and
talked to every clickable people.

Further help with character development is also appreciated. I must
have died more than 20x while opening those stupid seals. Bad thing is
I will have to do it all over again. This really bugs me and I just
want to proceed further to know the rest of the story, no spoiler
please. Anyways, like I said I am the barbarian, level 33, can't
remember exact attributes, but up to level 30, I've been increasing my
strength, dexterity, and vitality equally, never put points into
energy. Level 30 and up I put points into energy exclusively so I can
use whirlwind without having to rely too much on mana potions. Before
entering Diablo's lair, I didn't die often, but I died about once every
five minutes there, sometimes even at full health I could drop
instantly.

Knowing that this game is made by Vivendi Universal, I can confidently
guess that Act 4 is not the last one. Besides, there oughta be another
dude to kill, Baal. I wonder why they don't make Diablo the last boss,
since it is the game name. But I guess it can be explained by the fact
that Act 4 took place in Hell'ish setting same as Vivendi's old game
series, Quest for Glory, in which the fourth installment also took
place in a Hell'ish setting. Heh, this game is Vivendi's remake of
their Quest for Glory series. Each installment of QfG corresponds to
each act of Diablo. QfG1 took place in a grassland setting, QfG2 in a
desert, QfG3 in a jungle, QfG4 in an undead land. Since there are 5
installments of QfG, I bet there is an Act 5 here too! Oh yeah, in QfG
you can choose a character too, Fighter, Wizard, or Thief, and a fourth
character, Paladin, if you acquire enough of certain attributes. Which
leads me to another despair, I already died too many times in Act 4,
will I be able to do Act 5 at all?

Thanks in advance.
14 answers Last reply
More about help diablo seals please

    <spwebonly@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > A friend of mine recently gave me this game and told me about this
    > website to be filled with resourceful players. Well, without further
    > ado, I started the game and picked the barbarian since he was in the
    > middle of the group. I think I've been doing well, I am (he is) level
    > 33 and onto the third quest of Act IV, "Find Diablo in his sanctuary".
    > The transparent winged dude near the Waypoint said that I will have to
    > unlock 5 seals before the devil will show up. I succesfully unlocked 4
    > of them, but the 5th one could not be unlocked (clicked).

    The seal in the upper corner is sort of strange sometimes. If clicking on
    it doesn't work then move between the seal and the corner of the hallway and
    click on it at about the 10 o'clock position. Keep trying at every angle
    and it will open.
    Act 5 is in the expansion pack.

    <spwebonly@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > Hi all,
    > A friend of mine recently gave me this game and told me about

    > this website to be filled with resourceful players.

    Firstly this is a NEWSGROUP and not a website / forum / etc.
    You might be viewing it via a website which is copying the info from the
    newsgroup... but its not really a part of that website... the website is
    merely mirroring the newsgroups posts ;¬)
    If you get Mozilla Thunderbird or use Microsofts Outlook-express with your
    ISPs newsgroup then you can access this newsgroup "directly"... and you can
    also use the Newsgroup through other websites like Google groups, etc

    Even your ISPs news-server is just a "mirror" though ;¬)

    > The transparent winged dude near the Waypoint said that I will have to
    > unlock 5 seals before the devil will show up. I successfully unlocked 4
    > of them, but the 5th one could not be unlocked (clicked).

    His name is Hadriel ;¬)

    ....and you can unlock the seal if you just try it from lots of different
    angles (some seals are buggy - bad programming)

    [snip]
    > Further help with character development is also appreciated.

    Goto my clans website and click "Web links" then "Diablo 2".
    There are loads of character-build guides and calculators, etc.

    (Link is in my sig at bottom)

    Also, on the same website is a forum with a summoner-necro build in it (and
    a few other things... cant remember what)

    [snip]
    > Before
    > entering Diablo's lair, I didn't die often, but I died about once every
    > five minutes there, sometimes even at full health I could drop
    > instantly.

    Thats called "Iron maiden" ;¬)
    Any melee attacks damage is reflected back at the attacker and multiplied
    ALOT (About 300% I thinx). As a melee character when you get cursed with
    this from the Oblivion Knights (mages) then just run away until it
    wears-off.

    Here is a picture of Iron-maiden cast on some monsters, when its cast on
    you... run away!
    http://www.battle.net/images/battle/diablo2exp/images/skills/ironmaiden01.jpg

    [snip]
    > Knowing that this game is made by Vivendi Universal, I can confidently
    > guess that Act 4 is not the last one. Besides, there oughta be another
    > dude to kill, Baal. I wonder why they don't make Diablo the last boss,
    > since it is the game name.

    Diablo2 is a follow-on from Diablo.
    The end-boss on Diablo2 is.... Diablo ;¬)

    Once you buy the "upgrade" (Lord of Destruction) then it adds act-5 and its
    end-boss is Baal.

    [snip]
    > Which
    > leads me to another despair, I already died too many times in Act 4,
    > will I be able to do Act 5 at all?

    Yes, probably. (Atleast in Normal and Nightmare modes... you will die alot
    in Hell mode as Barbarian).

    Act5 doesn't have mages until Worldstone Chamber.

    > Thanks in advance.

    NP in retrospect

    --
    Trammel is a member of DWC (http://dwc.no-ip.org)
    (Please reply to group only)

    spwebonly@yahoo.com writes:
    >Hi all,
    >A friend of mine recently gave me this game and told me about this
    >website to be filled with resourceful players.

    Website? This is a Usenet newsgroup.

    [Seals]
    >I succesfully unlocked 4
    >of them, but the 5th one could not be unlocked (clicked).

    As the others wrote, just try it starting from different places. Some
    other things have that problem as well.

    >Anyways, like I said I am the barbarian, level 33, can't
    >remember exact attributes, but up to level 30, I've been increasing my
    >strength, dexterity, and vitality equally, never put points into
    >energy. Level 30 and up I put points into energy exclusively so I can
    >use whirlwind without having to rely too much on mana potions.

    Wear a mana leech item or several (e.g., Cathan's ring, if you find
    it), and use a weapon with enough physical damage to allow you to
    leech all the mana back that you use in an attack. Also, use Battle
    Orders to increase your mana and life.

    >Before
    >entering Diablo's lair, I didn't die often, but I died about once every
    >five minutes there, sometimes even at full health I could drop
    >instantly.

    Sounds like you have been cursed with Iron Maiden (you then get a
    curse symbol over your head). When you are cursed with Iron Maiden,
    do not use melee attacks with physical damage. Use Leap Attack
    (non-melee) or a bow (non-melee). Berserk (non-physical) might also
    work, but I have not tried it.

    >Besides, there oughta be another
    >dude to kill, Baal.

    Not in Diablo II classic (D2C).

    >I wonder why they don't make Diablo the last boss,
    >since it is the game name.

    They did. There is an expansion that's named after Baal: "Lord of
    Destruction".

    > But I guess it can be explained by the fact
    >that Act 4 took place in Hell'ish setting same as Vivendi's old game
    >series, Quest for Glory, in which the fourth installment also took
    >place in a Hell'ish setting. Heh, this game is Vivendi's remake of
    >their Quest for Glory series. Each installment of QfG corresponds to
    >each act of Diablo. QfG1 took place in a grassland setting, QfG2 in a
    >desert, QfG3 in a jungle, QfG4 in an undead land. Since there are 5
    >installments of QfG, I bet there is an Act 5 here too!

    Yes, sounds like the makers of Diablo II made an hommage to that game.

    >I already died too many times in Act 4,
    >will I be able to do Act 5 at all?

    Sure, should not be a big issue, if you have the expansion. With a
    little training, Normal difficulty (what you are playing now) is easy.
    Have fun!

    - anton
    --
    BillChin's Diablo II FAQ: http://www.geocities.com/wchin8/FAQD2.html

    Anton Ertl wrote:
    > spwebonly@yahoo.com writes:
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>A friend of mine recently gave me this game and told me about this
    >>website to be filled with resourceful players.
    >

    > Website? This is a Usenet newsgroup.

    He is posting through Google.

    <spwebonly@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht
    > Hi all,
    > A friend of mine recently gave me this game and told me about this
    > website to be filled with resourceful players. Well, without further
    > ado, I started the game and picked the barbarian since he was in the
    > middle of the group. I think I've been doing well, I am (he is) level
    > 33 and onto the third quest of Act IV, "Find Diablo in his sanctuary".
    > The transparent winged dude near the Waypoint said that I will have to
    > unlock 5 seals before the devil will show up. I succesfully unlocked 4
    > of them, but the 5th one could not be unlocked (clicked).
    >
    > So what do I miss here? I clicked all the hung skeletons & trapped
    > souls, killed all the enemies, completed all previous quests, and
    > talked to every clickable people.

    I assume you've done the other quests like Hellforge previous to the
    Sanctuary ?
    I'm not sure if that is a precondition in order to open the 5th seal, but
    uoy never know.

    > Further help with character development is also appreciated. I must
    > have died more than 20x while opening those stupid seals. Bad thing is
    > I will have to do it all over again. This really bugs me and I just
    > want to proceed further to know the rest of the story, no spoiler
    > please. Anyways, like I said I am the barbarian, level 33, can't
    > remember exact attributes, but up to level 30, I've been increasing my
    > strength, dexterity, and vitality equally, never put points into
    > energy. Level 30 and up I put points into energy exclusively so I can
    > use whirlwind without having to rely too much on mana potions. Before
    > entering Diablo's lair, I didn't die often, but I died about once every
    > five minutes there, sometimes even at full health I could drop
    > instantly.

    Most inportant is Fire and lighting resistance. That should be max against
    Big D. otherwise you won't stand a chance against his bad hot breath.
    Also a never can be frozen item is a good help if I remember correctly.
    Tactic should be hit and run, especially running in circles around him so
    fast boots is also a must.
    Good luck and don't give up.

    >> unlock 5 seals before the devil will show up. I succesfully unlocked 4
    >> of them, but the 5th one could not be unlocked (clicked).
    >>
    >> So what do I miss here? I clicked all the hung skeletons & trapped
    >> souls, killed all the enemies, completed all previous quests, and
    >> talked to every clickable people.
    >
    > I assume you've done the other quests like Hellforge previous to the
    > Sanctuary ?
    > I'm not sure if that is a precondition in order to open the 5th seal, but
    > uoy never know.

    It's not you don't need to do the hellforge quest at all and if you are in
    an mp game it's probably best not to if you want the gems and runes.

    --
    In a World Full of Insanity
    Here I Stand.

    "Anton Ertl" <anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at> wrote in message

    > Use Leap Attack (non-melee)

    Sorry dude, but that will get him killed. Leap Attack has counted as a melee
    attack since 1.10 was first released.

    > or a bow (non-melee). Berserk (non-physical) might also
    > work, but I have not tried it.

    Berserk will work.

    Thanks for the patience & replies. Knowing the presence of that spell
    really helps, I used berserk everytime I was under the influence of it.
    Managed to kill Diablo after about 10 return trips to town to purchase
    health potions. Hehe, if they have made the bosses to regain health
    when no players are present, I would not have been able to kill him.

    So that's what the fourth CD is for. I inserted the Install CD and it
    never prompted me to insert this 4th CD. Cool I can continue my
    adventure next weekend.

    Several of you guys suggested that I should not increase my energy and
    use items that give mana. My only mana giving item is a ring from
    Ormus in Act 3, +7 to mana among other attributes. If I don't increase
    my energy, I will have to drink a lot of mana potions. I guess that
    works, but I prefer to fill up my belt with health potions and
    rejuvenation potions for emergency.

    Thanks for directing me to the online build guides. It will certainly
    be useful sometime in the future. At this moment, I'd rather go on my
    own to test the water and learn by mistakes. I am not new to RPG
    myself, even though most of the other RPGs I've played do not allow the
    players as much degree of freedom to customize their characters.

    --Scott

    On 12 Jun 2005 02:28:55 -0700, spwebonly@yahoo.com wrote:

    >I succesfully unlocked 4
    >of them, but the 5th one could not be unlocked (clicked).

    Sometimes you have to approach it from a particular angle.

    >Further help with character development is also appreciated. I must
    >have died more than 20x while opening those stupid seals. Bad thing is
    >I will have to do it all over again. This really bugs me and I just
    >want to proceed further to know the rest of the story, no spoiler
    >please. Anyways, like I said I am the barbarian, level 33, can't
    >remember exact attributes, but up to level 30, I've been increasing my
    >strength, dexterity, and vitality equally, never put points into
    >energy. Level 30 and up I put points into energy exclusively so I can
    >use whirlwind without having to rely too much on mana potions.

    Put no more points into energy. It is a terrible waste of points for
    a barb. Just use +mana items instead, especially charms. Also,
    always have Battle Orders active.

    >Before
    >entering Diablo's lair, I didn't die often, but I died about once every
    >five minutes there, sometimes even at full health I could drop
    >instantly.

    That's the Iron Maiden curse, courtesy of the Oblivion Knights, as
    explained in other posts. It looks like fireflies dive-bombing your
    head. Just don't use a physical melee attack in the Chaos Sanctuary,
    as once under IM, you will instantly kill yourself. As a barb, you
    can use Double Throw, Berserk or Leap Attack instead. Or even a bow,
    or singly thrown weapons like throwing axes, javelins or throwing
    knives (will be slower than Double Throw, of course).

    >Which
    >leads me to another despair, I already died too many times in Act 4,
    >will I be able to do Act 5 at all?

    It's actually easier than killing Diablo solo. D's LBOD (Lightning
    Blast of Death) is a pink flame he breathes on you. If you are right
    next to him, it usually can't hurt you, but if you aren't, don't try
    to run away from it. Run _around_ it. If you are quick, he won't be
    able to turn fast enough to lay it on you.

    -- Roy L

    I think it was royls@telus.net that wrote something like...

    >>Before
    >>entering Diablo's lair, I didn't die often, but I died about once every
    >>five minutes there, sometimes even at full health I could drop
    >>instantly.
    >
    >That's the Iron Maiden curse, courtesy of the Oblivion Knights, as
    >explained in other posts. It looks like fireflies dive-bombing your
    >head. Just don't use a physical melee attack in the Chaos Sanctuary,
    >as once under IM, you will instantly kill yourself. As a barb, you
    >can use Double Throw, Berserk or Leap Attack instead. Or even a bow,
    >or singly thrown weapons like throwing axes, javelins or throwing
    >knives (will be slower than Double Throw, of course).

    Didn't they change it so that Leap Attack was effected by Iron Maiden?
    I don't play Barb's enough to be certain but I could have sworn I
    remember such becoming the case in 1.10 or something.

    Ashen Shugar
    The moon by day, and the sun by night.
    Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
    Let the Lord of Chaos rule!

    Wanabe wrote:

    > <spwebonly@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht
    > > Hi all,
    > > A friend of mine recently gave me this game and told me about this
    > > website to be filled with resourceful players. Well, without further
    > > ado, I started the game and picked the barbarian since he was in the
    > > middle of the group. I think I've been doing well, I am (he is) level
    > > 33 and onto the third quest of Act IV, "Find Diablo in his sanctuary".
    > > The transparent winged dude near the Waypoint said that I will have to
    > > unlock 5 seals before the devil will show up. I succesfully unlocked 4
    > > of them, but the 5th one could not be unlocked (clicked).
    > >
    > > So what do I miss here? I clicked all the hung skeletons & trapped
    > > souls, killed all the enemies, completed all previous quests, and
    > > talked to every clickable people.
    > >

    > I assume you've done the other quests like Hellforge previous to the
    > Sanctuary ?
    > I'm not sure if that is a precondition in order to open the 5th seal, but
    > uoy never know.
    >
    > > Further help with character development is also appreciated. I must
    > > have died more than 20x while opening those stupid seals. Bad thing is
    > > I will have to do it all over again. This really bugs me and I just
    > > want to proceed further to know the rest of the story, no spoiler
    > > please. Anyways, like I said I am the barbarian, level 33, can't
    > > remember exact attributes, but up to level 30, I've been increasing my
    > > strength, dexterity, and vitality equally, never put points into
    > > energy. Level 30 and up I put points into energy exclusively so I can
    > > use whirlwind without having to rely too much on mana potions. Before
    > > entering Diablo's lair, I didn't die often, but I died about once every
    > > five minutes there, sometimes even at full health I could drop
    > > instantly.
    > >

    > Most inportant is Fire and lighting resistance. That should be max against
    > Big D. otherwise you won't stand a chance against his bad hot breath.
    > Also a never can be frozen item is a good help if I remember correctly.
    > Tactic should be hit and run, especially running in circles around him so
    > fast boots is also a must.
    > Good luck and don't give up.

    With maxed fire and lightning resist plus Cannot Be Frozen and a lot of
    health you don't really need to hit and run. You'll need at least two
    column's in your belt of Full Rejuvination potions (the big purple ones)
    but in Normal you can stand toe to toe with the big D (I used
    Concerntrate with a Steel socketed axe) and come out on top without
    dying. A merc (I like the rogue) with a good weapon can help too!

    Watchman :)
    --
    'Anyone who isn't confused doesn't really know what's going on'

    > So that's what the fourth CD is for. I inserted the Install CD and it
    > never prompted me to insert this 4th CD. Cool I can continue my
    > adventure next weekend.

    Normal DII have 3 cd's: Install, Play and cinematics.

    What is the text on the 4th cd?

    If you bought battlechest, it might be "Lord of Destruction", and it needs
    to be installed seperately after installing DII, because it is a later
    released addon.

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 06:31:23 GMT, deathsabyss@yahoo.com.au (Ashen
    Shugar) wrote:

    >I think it was royls@telus.net that wrote something like...
    >
    >>>Before
    >>>entering Diablo's lair, I didn't die often, but I died about once every
    >>>five minutes there, sometimes even at full health I could drop
    >>>instantly.
    >>
    >>That's the Iron Maiden curse, courtesy of the Oblivion Knights, as
    >>explained in other posts. It looks like fireflies dive-bombing your
    >>head. Just don't use a physical melee attack in the Chaos Sanctuary,
    >>as once under IM, you will instantly kill yourself. As a barb, you
    >>can use Double Throw, Berserk or Leap Attack instead. Or even a bow,
    >>or singly thrown weapons like throwing axes, javelins or throwing
    >>knives (will be slower than Double Throw, of course).
    >
    >Didn't they change it so that Leap Attack was effected by Iron Maiden?
    >I don't play Barb's enough to be certain but I could have sworn I
    >remember such becoming the case in 1.10 or something.

    I think he implied he is playing 1.00, or did I get that wrong?

    -- Roy L

    I think it was royls@telus.net that wrote something like...

    >On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 06:31:23 GMT, deathsabyss@yahoo.com.au (Ashen
    >Shugar) wrote:
    >
    >>I think it was royls@telus.net that wrote something like...

    >>>That's the Iron Maiden curse, courtesy of the Oblivion Knights, as
    >>>explained in other posts. It looks like fireflies dive-bombing your
    >>>head. Just don't use a physical melee attack in the Chaos Sanctuary,
    >>>as once under IM, you will instantly kill yourself. As a barb, you
    >>>can use Double Throw, Berserk or Leap Attack instead. Or even a bow,
    >>>or singly thrown weapons like throwing axes, javelins or throwing
    >>>knives (will be slower than Double Throw, of course).
    >>
    >>Didn't they change it so that Leap Attack was effected by Iron Maiden?
    >>I don't play Barb's enough to be certain but I could have sworn I
    >>remember such becoming the case in 1.10 or something.
    >
    >I think he implied he is playing 1.00, or did I get that wrong?

    Hmm, while I didn't get that impression myself, it did sound like he
    didn't have the LOD expansion installed. It does seem like he's
    playing single player in which case he may very well have not patched
    the game. In which case you could be right about him playing 1.00

    Guess we'll have to ask them. ; )

    Ashen Shugar
    The moon by day, and the sun by night.
    Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.