802.11b device on a 802.11g Network

Just a quick question...I'm thinking of upgrading my wireless network from b
to g, but have a D-Link wireless print server (802.11b) that I don't want to
give up...If I substitute a g access point/router for my b access
point/router and a g PC card for my laptop's b PC card, will the network
speed drop to 11 Mbps because the b print server remains on the network?

Thanks for any guidance you guys can give...

TP
4 answers Last reply
More about device network

    In article <LxR%c.151587$Fg5.56921@attbi_s53>,
    Anthony Piro <apiro@comcast.net> wrote:
    :Just a quick question...I'm thinking of upgrading my wireless network from b
    :to g, but have a D-Link wireless print server (802.11b) that I don't want to
    :give up...If I substitute a g access point/router for my b access
    :point/router and a g PC card for my laptop's b PC card, will the network
    :speed drop to 11 Mbps because the b print server remains on the network?

    No, but it will drop to much lower than 54 Mbps. If *any* 11b
    device associates with an AP, then the AP always (on every
    packet) sends out 11b compatable flow control (and a little extra bit
    too, so even 11b transmissions are slowed down). That cuts into
    the speed of even 11g <-> 11g transmissions a lot.
    --
    Everyone has a "Good Cause" for which they are prepared to spam.
    -- Roberson's Law of the Internet

    In article <LxR%c.151587$Fg5.56921@attbi_s53>, "Anthony Piro" <apiro@comcast.net> wrote:
    >Just a quick question...I'm thinking of upgrading my wireless network from b
    >to g, but have a D-Link wireless print server (802.11b) that I don't want to
    >give up...If I substitute a g access point/router for my b access
    >point/router and a g PC card for my laptop's b PC card, will the network
    >speed drop to 11 Mbps because the b print server remains on the network?
    >
    >Thanks for any guidance you guys can give...
    >
    >TP

    Yes the printer will slow the g network even when you aren't using the
    printer. Anser is of course, keep the b AP on the network for the pronter,
    set up the G AP to allow only G connects (since you already own a b AP
    anyway).

    fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

    On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 14:29:41 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless ,
    rico_001@hotmail.com (Rico) wrote:

    >>will the network
    >>speed drop to 11 Mbps because the b print server remains on the network?
    >
    >Yes the printer will slow the g network even when you aren't using the
    >printer.

    NOT necessarily true. Newer routers are capable of segregating the B and G
    traffic so that you don't see this degradation.

    --
    Mark McIntyre

    "Mark McIntyre" <markmcintyre@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 14:29:41 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless ,
    > rico_001@hotmail.com (Rico) wrote:
    >
    > >>will the network
    > >>speed drop to 11 Mbps because the b print server remains on the network?
    > >
    > >Yes the printer will slow the g network even when you aren't using the
    > >printer.
    >
    > NOT necessarily true. Newer routers are capable of segregating the B and G
    > traffic so that you don't see this degradation.

    How? The performance degradation is not a router issue. It's at layer 1 and
    layer 2. Can you point me to an article that describes this?

    > --
    > Mark McIntyre
    > CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html>
    > CLC readme: <http://www.ungerhu.com/jxh/clc.welcome.txt>