Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

802.11b device on a 802.11g Network

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 9, 2004 9:06:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Just a quick question...I'm thinking of upgrading my wireless network from b
to g, but have a D-Link wireless print server (802.11b) that I don't want to
give up...If I substitute a g access point/router for my b access
point/router and a g PC card for my laptop's b PC card, will the network
speed drop to 11 Mbps because the b print server remains on the network?

Thanks for any guidance you guys can give...

TP
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 9, 2004 11:16:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

In article <LxR%c.151587$Fg5.56921@attbi_s53>,
Anthony Piro <apiro@comcast.net> wrote:
:Just a quick question...I'm thinking of upgrading my wireless network from b
:to g, but have a D-Link wireless print server (802.11b) that I don't want to
:give up...If I substitute a g access point/router for my b access
:p oint/router and a g PC card for my laptop's b PC card, will the network
:speed drop to 11 Mbps because the b print server remains on the network?

No, but it will drop to much lower than 54 Mbps. If *any* 11b
device associates with an AP, then the AP always (on every
packet) sends out 11b compatable flow control (and a little extra bit
too, so even 11b transmissions are slowed down). That cuts into
the speed of even 11g <-> 11g transmissions a lot.
--
Everyone has a "Good Cause" for which they are prepared to spam.
-- Roberson's Law of the Internet
September 13, 2004 6:29:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

In article <LxR%c.151587$Fg5.56921@attbi_s53>, "Anthony Piro" <apiro@comcast.net> wrote:
>Just a quick question...I'm thinking of upgrading my wireless network from b
>to g, but have a D-Link wireless print server (802.11b) that I don't want to
>give up...If I substitute a g access point/router for my b access
>point/router and a g PC card for my laptop's b PC card, will the network
>speed drop to 11 Mbps because the b print server remains on the network?
>
>Thanks for any guidance you guys can give...
>
>TP
>

Yes the printer will slow the g network even when you aren't using the
printer. Anser is of course, keep the b AP on the network for the pronter,
set up the G AP to allow only G connects (since you already own a b AP
anyway).

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 14, 2004 1:34:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 14:29:41 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless ,
rico_001@hotmail.com (Rico) wrote:

>>will the network
>>speed drop to 11 Mbps because the b print server remains on the network?
>
>Yes the printer will slow the g network even when you aren't using the
>printer.

NOT necessarily true. Newer routers are capable of segregating the B and G
traffic so that you don't see this degradation.

--
Mark McIntyre
CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html&gt;
CLC readme: <http://www.ungerhu.com/jxh/clc.welcome.txt&gt;


----== Posted via Newsfeed.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
September 14, 2004 1:35:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"Mark McIntyre" <markmcintyre@spamcop.net> wrote in message
news:f11ck05m13mnbr3lkmdm6eg03o9rcubf7i@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 14:29:41 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless ,
> rico_001@hotmail.com (Rico) wrote:
>
> >>will the network
> >>speed drop to 11 Mbps because the b print server remains on the network?
> >
> >Yes the printer will slow the g network even when you aren't using the
> >printer.
>
> NOT necessarily true. Newer routers are capable of segregating the B and G
> traffic so that you don't see this degradation.

How? The performance degradation is not a router issue. It's at layer 1 and
layer 2. Can you point me to an article that describes this?

>
> --
> Mark McIntyre
> CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html&gt;
> CLC readme: <http://www.ungerhu.com/jxh/clc.welcome.txt&gt;
>
>
> ----== Posted via Newsfeed.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet
News==----
> http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000
Newsgroups
> ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption
=---
!