Auto Disconnect

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

I've read several threads about Auto Disconnect but not about what surprised
me today. During a long download from McAfee, after 20 minutes the Auto
Disconnect dialog box came up. If I hadn't been there to say "stay
connected", it would have disconnected although the connection was definitely
not idle - it was downloading. Win 98 used to do this too but I thought it
would be fixed by now. Is there a setting to help?
--
Steve

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:999822BE-EB1E-4E1C-B819-068C8F14B97F@microsoft.com,
Steve <sojcjj(notthis)@arvig.net> had this to say:

> I've read several threads about Auto Disconnect but not about what
> surprised me today. During a long download from McAfee, after 20
> minutes the Auto Disconnect dialog box came up. If I hadn't been
> there to say "stay connected", it would have disconnected although
> the connection was definitely not idle - it was downloading. Win 98
> used to do this too but I thought it would be fixed by now. Is there
> a setting to help?

Idle seems to be based on use actions (mouse movement or keypresses) and not
on network activity. Why? I have no idea. But that's the way it seems to
work. You can disable it through your network properties if you want and
leave it to always on but you won't have the auto-disconnect feature. Again,
no clue why, it's just how it works. It's based on actual keypresses and
mouse movement as opposed to traffic status. You could always get a canary
and put crackers on the keyboard when you're away? Other than that I don't
know what to say, I just turn the feature off personally.

Galen

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 09:03:08 -0700, "Steve" <sojcjj(notthis)@arvig.net> wrote:

>I've read several threads about Auto Disconnect but not about what surprised
>me today. During a long download from McAfee, after 20 minutes the Auto
>Disconnect dialog box came up. If I hadn't been there to say "stay
>connected", it would have disconnected although the connection was definitely
>not idle - it was downloading. Win 98 used to do this too but I thought it
>would be fixed by now. Is there a setting to help?

Start->connect to->show all connections->pick the connection you use->options
tab->idle time before hanging up = NEVER