WiFi Access??

Who provides the best and largest selection for WiFi access? I'm mostly in
the New York area (City and Also Rockland county)
19 answers Last reply
More about wifi access

    "Josh Grameson" <moon248@borderlessgroup.com> wrote in

    > Who provides the best and largest selection for WiFi access? I'm
    > mostly in the New York area (City and Also Rockland county)

    Starbucks. Works great!

    > > Who provides the best and largest selection for WiFi access? I'm
    > > mostly in the New York area (City and Also Rockland county)

    > Starbucks. Works great!

    Which is T-Mobile, if I remember correctly.
    reply address bot resistant and human safe

    "SmartyPants" <schmartypantz@(remove_this)yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > Who provides the best and largest selection for WiFi access? I'm
    > > > mostly in the New York area (City and Also Rockland county)
    >
    > > Starbucks. Works great!
    >
    > Which is T-Mobile, if I remember correctly.
    > reply address bot resistant and human safe

    While T-Mobile is associated with them, they had nothing to do with
    implementing them. Anyone with wifi, no matter what carrier they use, can
    use the starbucks hotspots.

    "Josh Grameson" <moon248@borderlessgroup.com> wrote in message
    > Who provides the best and largest selection for WiFi access? I'm mostly in
    > the New York area (City and Also Rockland county)

    While not complete by any means (there are many more out there, but this is
    a start, I will look for my other lists and post them later),
    As a start, check out: http://www.wififreespot.com

    The Wi-Fi-FreeSpot Directory is a listing of Wi-Fi locations that offer Free
    Wireless Internet Access - Wi-Fi - utilizing 802.11 technology.

    The locations listed in the Wi-Fi-FreeSpot Directory are locations like
    cafes, restaurants, coffeeshops, libraries, airports, downtown business
    districts, malls, retail stores, etc. that are open to the public.

    "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102GSSPAMMENOT@NOSPAMHotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Josh Grameson" <moon248@borderlessgroup.com> wrote in message
    > > Who provides the best and largest selection for WiFi access? I'm mostly
    in
    > > the New York area (City and Also Rockland county)
    > >

    > While not complete by any means (there are many more out there, but this
    is
    > a start, I will look for my other lists and post them later),

    Here's the other post I was looking for with some good info and useful
    links..

    WiFi Explained

    http://www.istart.co.nz/index/HM20/PC0/PV21902/EX245/AR24499?printable

    FREE internet on the road:

    http://www.wi-fihotspotlist.com/

    http://www.wififreespot.com/

    http://www.t-mobile.com/hotspot/

    http://www.wifi411.com/

    http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/post/forum/38.cfm

    Peter Pan <Marcs1102GSSPAMMENOT@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:
    : "SmartyPants" <schmartypantz@(remove_this)yahoo.com> wrote in message
    : news:NKWCc.11$4h7.57245@twister.nyc.rr.com...
    : > > > Who provides the best and largest selection for WiFi access? I'm
    : > > > mostly in the New York area (City and Also Rockland county)
    : >
    : > > Starbucks. Works great!
    : >
    : > Which is T-Mobile, if I remember correctly.
    :
    : While T-Mobile is associated with them, they had nothing to do with
    : implementing them. Anyone with wifi, no matter what carrier they use, can
    : use the starbucks hotspots.

    What you mean is, T-Mobile cell service has nothing at all to do with
    T-Mobile Hotspot (WiFi), which is true - I'm a Verizon Wireless
    customer but also a subscriber to T-Mobile Hotspot. If I did use
    T-Mobile for cell service, I would get a $10/month discount, but then
    I'd actually have to use their cell service. But, it is the same
    company providing the Cell and WiFi service.

    Speaking of which, T-Mobile Hotspot is pretty good. I've used it for
    about a year. I'm posting this from one. I'm not even at a Starbucks
    - I'm next door to one at a pizza joint and picking up the WiFi from
    here.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    "Andrew" <usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com> wrote in message
    > Peter Pan <Marcs1102GSSPAMMENOT@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:
    > : "SmartyPants" <schmartypantz@(remove_this)yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > : news:NKWCc.11$4h7.57245@twister.nyc.rr.com...
    > : > > > Who provides the best and largest selection for WiFi access? I'm
    > : > > > mostly in the New York area (City and Also Rockland county)
    > : >
    > : > > Starbucks. Works great!
    > : >
    > : > Which is T-Mobile, if I remember correctly.
    > :
    > : While T-Mobile is associated with them, they had nothing to do with
    > : implementing them. Anyone with wifi, no matter what carrier they use,
    can
    > : use the starbucks hotspots.
    >
    > What you mean is, T-Mobile cell service has nothing at all to do with
    > T-Mobile Hotspot (WiFi), which is true - I'm a Verizon Wireless
    > customer but also a subscriber to T-Mobile Hotspot. If I did use
    > T-Mobile for cell service, I would get a $10/month discount, but then
    > I'd actually have to use their cell service. But, it is the same
    > company providing the Cell and WiFi service.
    >
    > Speaking of which, T-Mobile Hotspot is pretty good. I've used it for
    > about a year. I'm posting this from one. I'm not even at a Starbucks
    > - I'm next door to one at a pizza joint and picking up the WiFi from
    > here.
    >
    > Andrew

    Unfortunately you are mixing things up, and confusing apples and oranges.
    I'm saying T-mobile had absolutely NOTHING to do with the initial
    use/implementation of WiFi/Hotspots/802.11b etc.
    WiFi and Hotspots have been around for many years and have absolutely
    NOTHING to do with marketing and t-mobile users thinking that they are the
    only company that has exclusive control of the name, and you have to be a
    t-mobile customer or can't use any implementation of WiFi/Hotspots/802.11
    etc unless you are a t-mobile user. They came along later, did marketing
    stuff with already existing and not affiliated implementations.

    In this specific example of starbucks, they (starbucks) had Wi-FI and
    hotspots a long time before t-mobile ever got involved.
    Think about it, WiFi, Hotspots, 802.11b etc have been around for a LONG LONG
    time before the cell carriers started stealing the name for marketing,
    claiming that ONLY their users could use them, and had nothing to do with
    starting them.

    Interestingly enough, Verizon (and some other carriers) ALSO have what they
    call WiFi.

    Consider this, many many people use WiFi hotspots and don't even have a
    cell-phone! you do **NOT** need cell service to be able to use WiFi/Hotspots
    etc.

    > : While T-Mobile is associated with them, they had nothing to do with
    > : implementing them. Anyone with wifi (and money) , no matter what (cell)
    carrier they use, can
    > : use the starbucks hotspots.

    > Speaking of which, T-Mobile Hotspot is pretty good. I've used it for
    > about a year. I'm posting this from one. I'm not even at a Starbucks
    > - I'm next door to one at a pizza joint and picking up the WiFi from
    > here.

    Yes, I have been told that the service is very good.
    reply address bot resistant and human safe

    Peter Pan <Marcs1102GSSPAMMENOT@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:
    : Unfortunately you are mixing things up, and confusing apples and oranges.
    : I'm saying T-mobile had absolutely NOTHING to do with the initial
    : use/implementation of WiFi/Hotspots/802.11b etc.

    <snip history lesson>

    OK - so what? I think the original question wasn't, "Who originated
    HotSpots or WiFI?" but "Who has the best WiFi Access (in NYC)?" In
    trying to determine where to get the best WiFi access, do you think
    most people consider who originated WiFi? Most people could care
    less.

    : Consider this, many many people use WiFi hotspots and don't even have a
    : cell-phone! you do **NOT** need cell service to be able to use WiFi/Hotspots
    : etc.

    Indeed, you don't need a cell phone for WiFi service. What you do
    need is a wireless card for your laptop - 802.11b (or 802.11g which is
    backward compatible with b) will work at 99.9% of the hotpots. Newer
    laptops come with a built-in (internal) WiFi card, but if you have an
    older laptop, you can buy a wireless card fairly cheaply and add it to
    the PC Card slot. PC Card WiFi cards are cheap nowadays.

    Borders Books also is a T-Mobile WiFi partner - I think they are
    offering free day subscriptions to try the service out if you don't
    want to go to Starbucks.

    Andrew
    --

    > Peter Pan <Marcs1102GSSPAMMENOT@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:
    > : Unfortunately you are mixing things up, and confusing apples and
    oranges.
    > : I'm saying T-mobile had absolutely NOTHING to do with the initial
    > : use/implementation of WiFi/Hotspots/802.11b etc.
    >
    > <snip history lesson>
    >
    > OK - so what? I think the original question wasn't, "Who originated
    > HotSpots or WiFI?" but "Who has the best WiFi Access (in NYC)?" In
    > trying to determine where to get the best WiFi access, do you think
    > most people consider who originated WiFi? Most people could care
    > less.
    >
    > : Consider this, many many people use WiFi hotspots and don't even have a
    > : cell-phone! you do **NOT** need cell service to be able to use
    WiFi/Hotspots
    > : etc.
    >
    > Indeed, you don't need a cell phone for WiFi service. What you do
    > need is a wireless card for your laptop - 802.11b (or 802.11g which is
    > backward compatible with b) will work at 99.9% of the hotpots. Newer
    > laptops come with a built-in (internal) WiFi card, but if you have an
    > older laptop, you can buy a wireless card fairly cheaply and add it to
    > the PC Card slot. PC Card WiFi cards are cheap nowadays.
    >
    > Borders Books also is a T-Mobile WiFi partner - I think they are
    > offering free day subscriptions to try the service out if you don't
    > want to go to Starbucks.
    >
    > Andrew

    The point is that you do **NOT** need the t-mobile stuff/service at all! It
    is a marketing scam to try and scam money out of people! I can take my
    laptop with wifi card, or pda that does wifi, or park my car with my laptop
    and wifi card in the lot, and just walk into a startbucks (maybe buy some
    coffee to drink and cake to eat), and use it, without ever having to pay
    t-mobile a thing, register with t-mobile, have a t-mobile cellphone etc. It
    is just a marketing scam by t-mobile, making you *think* you have to pay
    them, or have on of their cellphones to use the WiFi at starbucks. T-mobile
    has absolutely NOTHING to do with the hotspots other than a marketing
    agreement to try and scam money out of people that think they have to pay em
    to use the free hotspots.

    Peter Pan <Marcs1102GSSPAMMENOT@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:
    : The point is that you do **NOT** need the t-mobile stuff/service at
    : all!

    Never said you did! I said all you need is an 802.11b/g card.

    : It is a marketing scam to try and scam money out of people! I can take my
    : laptop with wifi card, or pda that does wifi, or park my car with my laptop
    : and wifi card in the lot, and just walk into a startbucks (maybe buy some
    : coffee to drink and cake to eat), and use it, without ever having to pay
    : t-mobile a thing, register with t-mobile, have a t-mobile cellphone
    : etc.

    Er, no, you still need to pay T-Mobile to use their Hotspots. They
    are not free. You can pay them by the hour, monthly, or get an annual
    contract. If you happen to have a T-Mobile cell phone, you save
    $10/month on WiFi, however. I don't have a T-Mobile cell phone, so I
    have to pay them $29.99/month to use their Hotspots.

    It's not a "scam" - just a business choice to offer WiFi service.
    T-Mobile is betting I guess it will help their cell business. I think
    T-Mobile Hotspots are considerd profitable, however...

    : It
    : is just a marketing scam by t-mobile, making you *think* you have to pay
    : them, or have on of their cellphones to use the WiFi at starbucks. T-mobile
    : has absolutely NOTHING to do with the hotspots other than a marketing
    : agreement to try and scam money out of people that think they have to pay em
    : to use the free hotspots.

    Obviously you've never used a T-Mobile hotspot - or you are cracking
    into their system, which I doubt.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    Peter Pan <Marcs1102GSSPAMMENOT@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:

    : FREE internet on the road:
    : ======================================================

    : http://www.t-mobile.com/hotspot/

    As I've said a few times, T-Mobile Hotspots aren't "free".

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    So I don't need the login/pw for starbucks?? (this would be interesting
    cause I thing that Starbucks also tries to milk some $$ for this.) And what
    about the other places T-Mobile claims to be granting you access to (such as
    airports, borders...)?

    > So I don't need the login/pw for starbucks?? (this would be interesting
    > cause I thing that Starbucks also tries to milk some $$ for this.) And
    what
    > about the other places T-Mobile claims to be granting you access to (such
    as
    > airports, borders...)?

    For the t-mobile vpn at starbucks you do, if you are on other networks on
    the same hotspot you don't.

    The first thing the t-mobile software does is change your ssid search for to
    tmobile and change your system to only connect to this ssid.

    Hotspot owners, to get the free advertising and directory listing, have to
    agree to allow any t-mobile user to access the t-mobile vpn, but it does not
    limit them from running other vpn's or provide their own service or others
    on the same hotspot.

    Considering your software is changed to only allow t-mobile, I guess the
    saying "once you go t-mobile, you never go back" makes more sense :)

    Sorry, no free lunch with t-mobile specific software. To answer your
    question, you DO need your t-mobile login/pw for the t-mobile network (but
    not for starbucks other vpn's)

    PS a VPN = Virtual Private Network, lets you have multiple virtual networks
    on one actual hotspot.

    Josh Grameson <moon248@borderlessgroup.com> wrote:
    : So I don't need the login/pw for starbucks?? (this would be interesting
    : cause I thing that Starbucks also tries to milk some $$ for this.) And what
    : about the other places T-Mobile claims to be granting you access to (such as
    : airports, borders...)?

    You do need a login/pw for T-Mobile's Hotspots - and T-Mobile is
    Starbucks' WiFi partner. T-Mobile charges anywhere from about $6/hour
    to $39.99/month for a month-to-month contract or $29.99/month if you
    sign up for a year. You can sign up right at Starbucks (or any other
    T-Mobile hotspot) with your computer. Turn the computer on, let it
    pick up the "tmobile" SSID, allow your computer to connect to it, and
    then open Internet Explorer - and you'll get the T-Mobile login
    screen. From there you can sign up with your credit card - and you'll
    get a login/pw.

    If you use Windows XP, you don't need any special software from
    T-Mobile to get on to their network. (Make sure you have done a
    Windows Update though to get the latest patches and service packs, a
    few of which may make WiFi access easier.) T-Mobile offers some
    software for your computer but you don't need it. You can still use
    any other Hotspots your computer happens to be picking up at Starbucks
    or anywhere else - you are not locked into T-Mobile's hotspots by
    signing up, you just have to pick whichever network your computer can
    see. But, many Hotspots are restricted access - for example, if the
    Starbucks is next to a business that has its own WiFi network, your
    computer might see it but you may be unable to get on it if they have
    it secured.

    T-Mobile Hotspots work the same whether you are at Starbucks, Borders,
    Kinkos, or an airport. You use the same login/pw at all. Actually,
    Starbucks has nothing to do with it. If you plop down at a business
    directly next to a Starbucks, you can probably pick up T-Mobile's
    signal and never set foot in the Starbucks and they'd never know. I
    do it all the time. But you still need the T-Mobile login/pw.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    "Andrew" <usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com> wrote in message
    <snip>
    > T-Mobile Hotspots work the same whether you are at Starbucks,
    Borders,
    > Kinkos, or an airport. You use the same login/pw at all. Actually,
    > Starbucks has nothing to do with it. If you plop down at a business
    > directly next to a Starbucks, you can probably pick up T-Mobile's
    > signal and never set foot in the Starbucks and they'd never know. I
    > do it all the time. But you still need the T-Mobile login/pw.
    >
    > Andrew
    > --
    > ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
    > ----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
    > ----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address

    You know this is not to do with StarBucks or even T-Mobile but last
    week I went out and set up a wireless G router (in my private office)
    and one of the things I forgot to do (set up each Mac address for use)
    was to secure it. I went in to where it shows my users and low and
    behold there was this "blank" entry. I was so amused that someone
    tapped into it so quickly. Alas I kicked them off but I was amused at
    the way passerby's can pick up on that signal. Reminded me of the
    sales guy that came in last month with a detection device for hotspots
    ($40) and he said they were a big seller. I can see why. Free Net
    access.

    Elector

    Elector <elector@my-deja.com> wrote:
    : You know this is not to do with StarBucks or even T-Mobile but last
    : week I went out and set up a wireless G router (in my private office)
    : and one of the things I forgot to do (set up each Mac address for use)
    : was to secure it. I went in to where it shows my users and low and
    : behold there was this "blank" entry. I was so amused that someone
    : tapped into it so quickly. Alas I kicked them off but I was amused at
    : the way passerby's can pick up on that signal. Reminded me of the
    : sales guy that came in last month with a detection device for hotspots
    : ($40) and he said they were a big seller. I can see why. Free Net
    : access.

    Yep - you should at least setup MAC filtering. I also have WEP setup,
    though it was a bit of a pain to do. In any case, dedicated hackers can
    still break into either of these with the right equipment, but it
    keeps the "honest" people out. :-)

    I suspect most people who setup a WiFi network at home never consider
    security at all.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in

    > You know this is not to do with StarBucks or even T-Mobile but last
    > week I went out and set up a wireless G router (in my private office)
    > and one of the things I forgot to do (set up each Mac address for use)
    > was to secure it. I went in to where it shows my users and low and
    > behold there was this "blank" entry. I was so amused that someone
    > tapped into it so quickly. Alas I kicked them off but I was amused at
    > the way passerby's can pick up on that signal. Reminded me of the
    > sales guy that came in last month with a detection device for hotspots
    > ($40) and he said they were a big seller. I can see why. Free Net
    > access.
    >
    > Elector

    If you're in my neighborhood, just look for W4CSC (my ham call) on your
    list of stations the card is receiving. I've been providing a hotspot for
    the neighborhood since 802.11a days with little trouble. I'm near the AFB
    main gate in N Charleston, SC. If you go out on the roof of the enlisted
    barracks, you'll find a couple of Pringle's can antennas pointed at my
    house...(c; It's my way of "supporting our troops".

    The wireless router is about 60' up under a plastic bucket under my ham
    antennas. I can use it from the car with no external antenna for over a
    mile!

    Larry W4CSC
    help yourselves.

    > If you go out on the roof of the enlisted
    > barracks, you'll find a couple of Pringle's can antennas pointed at my
    > house...(c; It's my way of "supporting our troops"...

    Larry, that is super cool of you. Thanks for doing a good deed for a bunch
    of people who need good things done for them.

    On a similar note, http://www.freenetworks.org is a starting point for
    free wifi access.
    reply address bot resistant and human safe

Verizon County WiFi and Home Networking Internet Service Providers