Silent Hill Homecoming bad performance and sporadic stutterings

CefVil

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
As the title says, SH Homecoming is giving me headaches with sudden lag, sporadic stuttering and 5-10 seconds long mini lock ups while on cut scenes, after a monster pops up or while opening the save screen.

My specs are:

Phenom II X3 710 @2.6 per core
2GB DDR2 800 RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate
Nivida GeForce GTS 250 @1gb
Forceware 185.85 drivers

So far the game is playable with nice FPS most of the time, but these little annoyances kinda kill off the spooks and the tense atmosphere one should get while playing a Silent Hill title at 5am.

By the way, stuttering and such never occur while playing F.E.A.R. 2 or Street Fighter IV with max settings... so any suggestions on how to fix these SH issues will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance :D

.C.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
Try to get near a save spot where you can run this test repeatedly. Try changing your graphics settings and see if any one has a particular effect. I had a problem somewhat like this for AvP2 on my 8800GT. Out of a bunch of settings I found out for whatever reason I had to turn a certain option off. Once I did that I was pegged at 60FPS 24/7. Before it would drop to low 20's, again strange because its a pretty old game on a pretty powerful card. Also try using defraggler and see if your game directory is fragmented.

CefVil

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
Hey bildo123 thanks for answering, I already defragmented my HD, but as it is almost new it only presented 1% of fragmentation, and about settings in the game it looks like I'll have to mess up with the config file of the game as it only has low, medium and high in the in-game menu.

I'll post if anything comes up

.C.

CefVil

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
Well another console port/poorly coded game ruining the experience, I'll add it to my list just below GTA IV... :pfff:

No wonder why other heavier games work much better.

Thanks anyway

Regards

.C.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
That's a shame. I wanted to actually get the Silent Hill:HC for PC too...I'm sorry you become the sacrificial lamb. I don't have any of the latest consoles so that would have been perfect (probably look better too).

CefVil

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
Indeed a shame it is bildo123, I adore the Silent Hill series, but last night after annoying lag and some related deaths I decided to uninstall the game. :(

Maybe I'll give it a second chance when I upgrade my video card, but again it's ridiculous as I've been playing Call of Juarez 2 fluently and with flawless FPS and no stuttering.

It's a bad port like GTA IV so the odds of something ugly happening to you too when playing vary, you can try but again it could be a headache once the bugs begin to pop out.

If you decide to try I wish you better luck than mine.

.C.