Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How good is my Computer for gaming?

Last response: in Video Games
July 11, 2009 4:04:52 AM

I've had this computer for a couple years now, its plays games, but I wanted to see how good it is compared to what it could be. I've noticed that I cannot play Left 4 dead and Oblivion, due to the fact that not only does my graphics card not being able to keep up with the shading, but my processor is having trouble as well.

Here are my stats-

Intel Celeron M CPU
430 @ 1.73 GHz
2.99GB of RAM
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Service Pack 3
32.7 GB Space, 9 GB Free currently
Defragmented Regularly, files cleaned out weekly

Any other info needed, just ask me.

P.S. What is GHz do and stand for anyway?

More about : good computer gaming

July 11, 2009 7:27:33 AM

well... what do yo think.

you alrdeady gave an awsner, you cant play oblivion nor l4d.
and seeing as you havent posted your gpu, i'm going to assume
its a igp.

PS. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+is+GHz+
July 11, 2009 4:24:11 PM

Ninjaboi said:
I've had this computer for a couple years now, its plays games, but I wanted to see how good it is compared to what it could be. I've noticed that I cannot play Left 4 dead and Oblivion, due to the fact that not only does my graphics card not being able to keep up with the shading, but my processor is having trouble as well.

Here are my stats-

Intel Celeron M CPU
430 @ 1.73 GHz
2.99GB of RAM
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Service Pack 3
32.7 GB Space, 9 GB Free currently
Defragmented Regularly, files cleaned out weekly

Any other info needed, just ask me.

P.S. What is GHz do and stand for anyway?

Ghz Gigahertz = speed of cpu per second..
Don't mean to be the bearer of bad news,,but you can not possible play the latest games with that rig,,
you have sufficient ram ,, xp/sp3 is ok ,,..:(  but the rest tooo weak,,in today's market one needs at least a 2.6 ghz cpu to run most video cards which would be at least an 8800gt....:( 
Related resources
July 12, 2009 6:49:26 AM

dokk2 said:
Ghz Gigahertz = speed of cpu per second..
Don't mean to be the bearer of bad news,,but you can not possible play the latest games with that rig,,
you have sufficient ram ,, xp/sp3 is ok ,,..:(  but the rest tooo weak,,in today's market one needs at least a 2.6 ghz cpu to run most video cards which would be at least an 8800gt....:( 

Thank you for telling me what ghz is XD. Its ok, i knew that my computer was not very good with games anyway, seeing is how that the computer was BUILT for office uses. It is a laptop, and was not even $1300, so i got what I paid for. ( technically i didnt pay for it, but I worked for it. ) I'm supposed to be saving money to get another computer and giving this one to my Mom, and the new one has these stats. ( Very nice too XD. )

GeForce 9600XT
2.87GHz
3.98GB of RAM ( which im guessing is 4 )
Microsoft Windows XP Home edition
Over 200 GB space
19"Widescreen Monitor
New, not used

I love it so, and i want it so! =D

P.S. Does the new computer sound like its capable of playing good games like Oblivion and L4D? If so, im 100% sure of getting it some day! Thanks for the reply.
July 12, 2009 2:14:51 PM

How much are you paying for the pc? The specs do not seem very up-to-date. I don't know what chip it has, but i'm guessing an old pentuim 4, which will struggle with modern games. I have not heard of an nvidia made 9600xt, are you sure its not made by ati?

Basically, you need to state your budget and let people at Toms help you out. If you are looking for a gaming pc the new one will not cut it.
July 13, 2009 2:39:11 AM

emyyhh said:
How much are you paying for the pc? The specs do not seem very up-to-date. I don't know what chip it has, but i'm guessing an old pentuim 4, which will struggle with modern games. I have not heard of an nvidia made 9600xt, are you sure its not made by ati?

Basically, you need to state your budget and let people at Toms help you out. If you are looking for a gaming pc the new one will not cut it.

Honestly its been like 4 months since i've read on the pc specs, and i was not sure that i was giving correct data. It might be out of date, or i might of messed up with my description of it XD sorry.
The budget would settle well at $4000, if that sounds reasonable. I'm looking for a desktop gaming computer, that is able to play the most up-to-date games with about maybe 30 frames normal on High graphics. ( Such as Left4dead and Fallout 3 ). If the budget doesnt call for that, its ok, im well able to settle for a desktop with the capabilites to at least PLAY these games on low graphics and only maybe 20 frames. ( But thats as low as my standards really go lol ). Thank you for the quick replys. I'm new to this website and it seems like already im getting 5x faster replys than the big "corprate" ones. :sol: 
July 14, 2009 1:43:48 AM

emyyhh said:

9800gt....
July 14, 2009 1:52:24 AM

Ninjaboi said:
Honestly its been like 4 months since i've read on the pc specs, and i was not sure that i was giving correct data. It might be out of date, or i might of messed up with my description of it XD sorry.
The budget would settle well at $4000, if that sounds reasonable. I'm looking for a desktop gaming computer, that is able to play the most up-to-date games with about maybe 30 frames normal on High graphics. ( Such as Left4dead and Fallout 3 ). If the budget doesnt call for that, its ok, im well able to settle for a desktop with the capabilites to at least PLAY these games on low graphics and only maybe 20 frames. ( But thats as low as my standards really go lol ). Thank you for the quick replys. I'm new to this website and it seems like already im getting 5x faster replys than the big "corprate" ones. :sol: 

Hmmmm?? You do not need to spend $4000.00,you need to take into consideration the life of a given setup and the,if possible,upgrade path of your chosen selections..
The single most important part of a computer today is the psu,power supply,almost any video card today in the $200-$300 price range will do what you want,given your above statement regarding fps [30] you would be quite happy for quite a while..:) 
July 14, 2009 11:23:38 PM

dokk2 said:
Hmmmm?? You do not need to spend $4000.00,you need to take into consideration the life of a given setup and the,if possible,upgrade path of your chosen selections..
The single most important part of a computer today is the psu,power supply,almost any video card today in the $200-$300 price range will do what you want,given your above statement regarding fps [30] you would be quite happy for quite a while..:) 

Yay! Thats a relief. I went to a computer guru a couple months ago and he said 4000 dollars wouldnt cut it for a computer like that XD. If the 300 dollar video card is what you say it will do, ill trust that and buy one. I only have a laptop, and my brother owns the only desktop. I also wanted a computer that would hold maybe 300 GB of space, so I could hold all the games and files to it. ( I have like 200 GB or so of games, and maybe 20 GB of documents and files ). So yeah, my pc only holds 35 GB of space, and thats not enough. So How much do you think this below would cost?

1. Video card capable of playing L4D and Oblivion at 30 fps.
2. 300 GB space on hard drive
3. PSU capable of playing video card
4. 19" Desktop flatscreen
5. 3.50 or so RAM

$ for these separate or all together would be fine for a reply. Thanks for the video card info though, really helpful :) 
July 15, 2009 1:11:05 AM

Hmmm,computer dosen't hold any space at all it is the hard drive:) ,,..
Now then ,,as I mentioned before the first item to start with is your psu,then the video.and the ram,,you could get a decent video card for at the most $300.00 or less including taxes,
a 500GB Hdd less than $125.00,,psu around $120.00 or less 450-600 watts,flatscreen 19" to 22" maybe $250.00 max,4gig of ram around $120.00,,= less than $1000.00,to that you will need to add a motherboard and a cpu maybe another 300 to 500$,of course this is all dependent upon where you live and the available stock/parts/cost and if you buy locally or order from the web,and if you put it together yourself or have it preassembled for instance I am upgrading from an Asus M2N-E to a Gigabyte 790fx-UD5P,because of the number of cpu's that it will/may support now and,hopefully in the future AM2+ and AM3..
Anyhow your best bet is to snoop around in the forums here at Tom's and at say Hardwaresecrets.com and Anandtech.com,thus you will gain some more tech info and get an idea of what kind of hardware is being used and with what results..
Good luck and don't stop asking questions..:) 
July 15, 2009 2:54:10 AM

dokk2 said:
Hmmm,computer dosen't hold any space at all it is the hard drive:) ,,..
Now then ,,as I mentioned before the first item to start with is your psu,then the video.and the ram,,you could get a decent video card for at the most $300.00 or less including taxes,
a 500GB Hdd less than $125.00,,psu around $120.00 or less 450-600 watts,flatscreen 19" to 22" maybe $250.00 max,4gig of ram around $120.00,,= less than $1000.00,to that you will need to add a motherboard and a cpu maybe another 300 to 500$,of course this is all dependent upon where you live and the available stock/parts/cost and if you buy locally or order from the web,and if you put it together yourself or have it preassembled for instance I am upgrading from an Asus M2N-E to a Gigabyte 790fx-UD5P,because of the number of cpu's that it will/may support now and,hopefully in the future AM2+ and AM3..
Anyhow your best bet is to snoop around in the forums here at Tom's and at say Hardwaresecrets.com and Anandtech.com,thus you will gain some more tech info and get an idea of what kind of hardware is being used and with what results..
Good luck and don't stop asking questions..:) 

Wow, i feel like ive been hagled.....if you read the very first post i made at the top, i got those for 1200 dollars, and what your telling me seems to be not only cheaper, but way better lol. I didnt get this online, i got it from a store nearby, and ill tell you the people there also sold me a LAN cord so I can play with my brother, and it was so bad that it disconnected us every hour lol. Then we buy a 5 dollar one and the other one was 25 bucks, and its far better and far cheaper. We'll, thats life. Thank you for the info man, your very knowlegable. :) 
July 15, 2009 12:28:58 PM

One last thing check out Newegg.com and tigerdirect.com they are both reasonable online retailers and sometimes you will not be charged any shipping on your original purchase,tho you will probably have to ante up on a RMA,also they sometimes have detailed info on given products as well as user reviews...:) 
July 16, 2009 6:40:22 AM

I think quake 3 is the only game for you, and or maybe Dota
July 16, 2009 4:46:04 PM

TerminatorXT said:
I think quake 3 is the only game for you, and or maybe Dota

We'll I do play Half-Life 2, Mods for it, Counter Strike, Warcraft 3, Tremulous, Neverwinter Nights 1, Savage XR, and Perfect world. I'm not sure if they are graphic intensive, but im able to play most on normal quality graphics. ( Except Half Life 2 and Perfect world )
July 16, 2009 4:47:47 PM

dokk2 said:
One last thing check out Newegg.com and tigerdirect.com they are both reasonable online retailers and sometimes you will not be charged any shipping on your original purchase,tho you will probably have to ante up on a RMA,also they sometimes have detailed info on given products as well as user reviews...:) 

Thanks Man!
July 16, 2009 6:01:58 PM

if you have 4000 to spend just go to ibuypower where you can buy great high end pcs in the 1500-2000 range, if you don't want to have to put it together yourself
July 16, 2009 11:30:52 PM

Q6600 ~$200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Antec 900 ~$108

2x2 GB DDR2 G.Skill ~$47

Corsair 550W ~$56

GTX 275 ~$220

GIGABYTE Mobo + a free 750GB hard drive ~$200

I just put that together in like 5 minutes ... you could probably build somethin better than that and i probably forgot some computer parts lol. But that totals to like $831 ... this system won't be future proof, but it will run all the games you listed.

July 17, 2009 6:42:30 AM

cartmanclone said:
if you have 4000 to spend just go to ibuypower where you can buy great high end pcs in the 1500-2000 range, if you don't want to have to put it together yourself

Thank you extremely! :D 
July 17, 2009 6:44:46 AM

jchan said:
Q6600 ~$200

Antec 900 ~$108

2x2 GB DDR2 G.Skill ~$47

Corsair 550W ~$56

GTX 275 ~$220

GIGABYTE Mobo + a free 750GB hard drive ~$200

I just put that together in like 5 minutes ... you could probably build somethin better than that and i probably forgot some computer parts lol. But that totals to like $831 ... this system won't be future proof, but it will run all the games you listed.

Ya this is pretty much what I needed. I might up some things for a better version, but other than that this helps a lot! Thanks!
July 17, 2009 3:32:59 PM

how long can you wait?

if you could wait until October then I could give you a list of parts and an estimate for the price of it. the reason why I'm saying this is because the Core 2 line is being replaced in September and the DirectX11 graphics cards come out around the same time. And supposedly quite a few games will get patches for DX11 along with a few games coming out before 2010 so it will be a wait worth while.
July 18, 2009 5:29:29 PM

Helloworld_98 said:
how long can you wait?

if you could wait until October then I could give you a list of parts and an estimate for the price of it. the reason why I'm saying this is because the Core 2 line is being replaced in September and the DirectX11 graphics cards come out around the same time. And supposedly quite a few games will get patches for DX11 along with a few games coming out before 2010 so it will be a wait worth while.

Hmm...i can wait a bit XD. Thanks!
July 19, 2009 7:05:16 AM

You need a much better processor / graphics card if you want to play those games.
July 21, 2009 6:59:08 PM

Also if you decide you do wanna spend $4000 on a gaming pc. go to www.digitalstormonline.com or www.falcon-nw.com those are crazy well-built high end boutique computers. you could spend $3000 on one of those incredible machines and spend the other $1000 on a 30in monitor and you would be the envy of almost everyone on the Tom's forums. Seriously, that guy that said $4000 wasn't enough for a gaming pc is a sleeze bag that's tryin to rip you off.

As other people have said, ask around on the forums, read articles and possibly wait till October for the new hardware.

Any of these comps will play Oblivion and L4D at the highest settings at easily 100+ fps

cheers
July 27, 2009 2:41:55 AM

I would be happy to build you a custom gaming rig.... and I can assure you it will run everything your wanting it to, and atleast be a very good computer for you for several years.

I can do it for $2500 or under depending if you would like a 28" monitor, gaming keyboard, mouse, 4-8gb of high speed ram, bluray player/burner. For around $2500 or less depending what options and hard ware you want, custom water cooling from the Danger Den, you can have me build you a I7 build, or a Phenom II 955 B.E. with crossfire 4890's

If your interested, if your in the U.S. I can even have it shipped to you. I am in Northern IL and would be happy to work with you. I do not make a killing on any of my builds and charge a very fair price. I have several custom builds for sale at the moment, 2 quad core builds, and a dual core for sale also. Here is one of my builds up for sale right now.

It is a Phenom II 940 B.E. Quad core at 3.6ghz stable

Asus m379-t deluxe, AM2+/Am3 mother board with the 750 SB

2 Western digital 640 gb hardrives in raid 0

1 seagate 1.5 TB 7200 rpm, with 32 mb cach

4 gb of g.skill 1066mhz ram

bluray player

samsung dvd/burner/ cd

custom water cooling from the Danger Den

4870 512mb grafix card.

And a custom case that I built from scratch out of Aluminum and Granite.

This build and the other two builds I have right now will more then play what you wanting them to.

Or I can build you a custom rig that you want. We order the parts off of Newegg, and you see what they cost, and even can take the rebates if any. No mark ups, just pay me for my labor.

August 4, 2009 5:45:27 AM

I don't think it's good for gaming.
a b 4 Gaming
December 20, 2010 5:32:39 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!