Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need help with the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 2:46:14 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

OK... I just got a new Dell Dimension 3000 with Windows XP (Home Edition)
and I want to transfer files to it from my old Dell XPS D333 (with Windows
98). I'm trying to use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard that comes
with Windows XP, but I've run into a problem. I have to use a serial file
transfer cable, because my old computer doesn't have a network connection. I
made a Windows XP CD, so I can use the wizard on my old computer, and I
start to use the wizard on each computer... but I only get as far as the
window where you set up your serial connection. I click on "autoconnect" on
each computer, but it just keeps searching for hours without detecting a
connection. Can anyone think of any obvious mistakes I may have made? I'm
using an RS-232C cable (female DB9 to female DB9) and I connected it to the
only 9 pin connectios available on each computer. Any help would be much
appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Bob
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 2:46:15 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Robert Coppola wrote:
> OK... I just got a new Dell Dimension 3000 with Windows XP (Home
> Edition) and I want to transfer files to it from my old Dell XPS D333
> (with Windows 98). I'm trying to use the Files and Settings Transfer
> Wizard that comes with Windows XP, but I've run into a problem. I
> have to use a serial file transfer cable, because my old computer
> doesn't have a network connection. I made a Windows XP CD, so I can
> use the wizard on my old computer, and I start to use the wizard on
> each computer... but I only get as far as the window where you set up
> your serial connection. I click on "autoconnect" on each computer,
> but it just keeps searching for hours without detecting a connection.
> Can anyone think of any obvious mistakes I may have made? I'm using
> an RS-232C cable (female DB9 to female DB9) and I connected it to the
> only 9 pin connectios available on each computer. Any help would be
> much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Couldn't you use FAST to export to a directory you make on the old machine..
Burn that directory to CD then copy that to the new machine and import your
profile information that way?

(Also, from 98 to XP - this transfer is going to give you minimal advantages
over just copying the files you want (docs, etc) yourself.)

--
<- Shenan ->
--
The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
getting into before you jump in with both feet.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 3:03:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Sorry, but I don't even know what FAST is, so I don't know. (^_^);; I don't
have a CD burner on my old machine, either.

Bob


"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:eIC294gQFHA.1932@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Robert Coppola wrote:
>> OK... I just got a new Dell Dimension 3000 with Windows XP (Home
>> Edition) and I want to transfer files to it from my old Dell XPS D333
>> (with Windows 98). I'm trying to use the Files and Settings Transfer
>> Wizard that comes with Windows XP, but I've run into a problem. I
>> have to use a serial file transfer cable, because my old computer
>> doesn't have a network connection. I made a Windows XP CD, so I can
>> use the wizard on my old computer, and I start to use the wizard on
>> each computer... but I only get as far as the window where you set up
>> your serial connection. I click on "autoconnect" on each computer,
>> but it just keeps searching for hours without detecting a connection.
>> Can anyone think of any obvious mistakes I may have made? I'm using
>> an RS-232C cable (female DB9 to female DB9) and I connected it to the
>> only 9 pin connectios available on each computer. Any help would be
>> much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
>
> Couldn't you use FAST to export to a directory you make on the old
> machine.. Burn that directory to CD then copy that to the new machine and
> import your profile information that way?
>
> (Also, from 98 to XP - this transfer is going to give you minimal
> advantages over just copying the files you want (docs, etc) yourself.)
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->
> --
> The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
> yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
> responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
> getting into before you jump in with both feet.
>
April 16, 2005 3:03:49 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

In news:o LX7e.6126$go4.712@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net,
Robert Coppola <robertcoppola@earthlink.net> had this to say:

My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

> Sorry, but I don't even know what FAST is, so I don't know. (^_^);; I
> don't have a CD burner on my old machine, either.

Okay... Two things maybe three... To answer the question that you posed in
this one... FAST is what you were using. Files And Settings Transfer
wizard...

Next... This cable you're using? Is it a crossover cable? If it's a direct
cable it's never going to find your connection. Can you make a normal
networked connection through it? Probably not if the XP wizard isnt' finding
it.

Where does this leave you? Easy really... No burner? Too big for floppies...

(Grab a screwdriver... - Phillips head)

Make a directory on your C: drive on the 98 box.
Run FAST.
Save to that directory.
Turn off PC.
Remove side panel (you might have to remove both) and remove your harddrive.
Set the jumpers to Slave.
Make sure new PC is off too.
Open the new computer.
Find spare power plug that's long enough to reach.
Hang the OLD drive off the ribbon cable in the available socket in the NEW
computer.
Turn on NEW PC.
Import your settings from there.
Continue until that's done.
Turn off NEW PC.
Change jumpers back to Master.
Put drive back in OLD computer.
Put screws and cases and power supply extensions back in place.
Reboot new PC.
Do what you plan on doing with the old one. (Consider donating it but clean
the drive completely to avoid ID theft.)
Carry on and enjoy life.

Galen
--
Signature changed for a moment of silence.
Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.
!