can't install win2k or winXp

chedJuer

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
I have MSI K7T266 Pro2. I tried to install win2000 pro or winXp but it gives me a problem. The error happened after I created a partition to install the Win2k or winXP. It gave me the same problem that “Setup was unable to format the partition, The disk may be damages, make sure the drive is switched on and properly connected to your computer….”. However, I have not any problem when I installed win98 even I use the same hard disk(IDE).
Could you give me any suggestions that I can solve this problem.
Thanks.

chedjuerz

soulprovider

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
Make sure you've got the onboard virus boot protection disabled and anything else that might be protectiong your MBR

<b>Vorsprung durch Dontwerk</b>.....<i>as they say at VIA</i>

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
Heya Ched;

this is a fine barrel of pickles you got yourself into -=P

Naw this shouldnt be too hard to fix.

Im guessing your IDE cable is bad it happens and it happens often, it is also possible that your hard drive just bit the dust, that also happens, i would suggest exploring both options, replace the cabe with one that you know works first, then explore the possibility that the drive went bad.

on another train of thought it is possible that the Hard drive isnt large enough to work with either O/S, i dont believe anything smaller then 2.1GB will run under win2k or XP, i was thinking there is a NTFS limitation, i could be wrong but thats what im thinking...

It is also possible that some how you accidently set the jumper on the hard drive wrong...no one is perfect, double check it to be sure.

Explore these options, and i hope i have helped.

XeeN

dwellman

Splendid
Dec 14, 2002
I've had the same problem in the past, always with Fujitsu drives, though.

Try these. After EACH step try to install Windows XP, again.

Chipset IDE problem:
1. With Via chipsets, it is wise to disable UDMA in the BIOS when installing Windows 2000/XP. Basically, you should run the BIOS in failsafe mode. When installing operating systems, it is NOT a good time to be overclocking. Therefore, DON'T do it. While you're at it, you may wish to disable COM and Parallel ports, if you do not already do so (after choosing "failsafe" or analogous option), but it has nothing to do with HDD.

Disk configuration, internal controller, or surface damage:
2. Try FDISK /MBR

3a. Try installing windows on that disk in a different system.

3b. Try formatting the disk with an operating system, then run a comprehensive Scandisk. See if Scandisk detects bad sectors.

4. Try installing a different OS (Linux, win9x)

If things go well in the different box, then try :

Cable issue:
5. Different IDE cables (make sure using 80 pin instead of 40)

Ominous hardware conflict:
7. Take everything out of you system except HDD, RAM, Video)

RAM insability:
6. Check your RAM (If you have two dimms take one out then try to install. If the install fails, try the other DIMM) If you only have one DIMM, try to beg, borrow, or-- otherwise-- finagle another.

chedJuer

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
thanks for your advice, It still doesn't work when I changed both IDE cable and the HD.
I have been successed to install only win2k Pro into the HD that have 2GB.

chedJuer

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
i have some questions cause i don't quite sure what you mean cause i am the biginer in this field:
1:when you said "to disable UDMA in the BIOS". Is it the same as disable the "PCI IDE BusMaster". if not, what the key word that i have to look for in the bios so i can disable UDMA. I have been look the UDMA but i couldn't find it.
2.Run the BIOS in "failsave mode", do you mean to run the "Default Mode" or not?

thanks for your help
chedJuer

dwellman

Splendid
Dec 14, 2002
OK, I see you have an AMI BIOS. Crappy menus, but no performance difference.

Yes, DEFAULT Mode would be analogous to "Failsafe"

You might be able to enable/disable/change UDMA (sometimes UATA) settings via the following:

From the AMI BIOS NEW SETUP UTILITY (BIOS main menu): Standard CMOS Features -> Primary IDE Master

If there is an option to change DMA settings, change for the rest (Primary IDE Slave, Secondary Master, Secondary Slave)

Let me know if you are still stuck,

Dave

dwellman

Splendid
Dec 14, 2002
I've installed Win2K on a 1GB disk. The only limiting factor for fialure of an install using NTFS would be the fault of the BIOS and/or IDE controller, not the size of the hard drive. Older systems, which tend to have smaller hard drives, may not be able recognise (boot) NTFS. Therefore, it would seem that Win2K would not install on a smaller hard drive; when, in actuality, the BIOS simply does not recognise the file system.

The main perpetrator of this issue is Pheonix BIOS (now part of AMI) using UMC or ALI chipsets, so its rare.

Mainboards incorporating AWARD BIOS always seemed to work without issue. They also tend to be modular, which means one may easily swap a chip in case of a mishap.

Anyway... regards,

Dave

chedJuer

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
I am not sure this will relate why i can't install win2k or winXp. I got this motherboard from my friend. He told me that he flashed the bios one time. He said he didn't remember that before or after he flashed, he was still able to install the win2k or winXp. But the last thing he did on this M/B, he tried to install Linux(Gentoo version). After that he told me that he could not install either win2K or winXP. Only win98 can be installed in that board.
Do you think the gentoo cause the bios mess up?
I might try to flash the bios.

chedJuer

dwellman

Splendid
Dec 14, 2002
I fear I must agree with the consensus of the rest of the group: that your hard drive is bad (MBR most likely-- You did try, with a DOS prompt: FDSIK /MBR ?). You are able to install Windows 98, but not Windows 2000/XP. Using the same sub-system, however, you are able to install Windows 2000/XP using a different hard drive. Therefore, without performing comprehensive diagnostics, I can only assume the weak link is your hard drive.

Really, operating system software cannot affect hardware status anymore than a speck of dust affect the trajectory of a bullet.

Some viruses (Chernobyl, for example) are reputed to be able to affect the system BIOS on certain MBs. Incorrect drivers or overclocking (of course) also has potential to disrupt integrated circut functionality.

Intel giveth and Microsoft taketh away.