Windows 7 Pre-Order Prices - Are They One Time, Or Will They Stay?

Oct 22nd £150 for the Full Retail Version.
The £64.99 offer @ Amazon is also the Full Retail Version.
But for current Vista owners might find that £79.99 upgrade an option in the not too distant future.

The standard retail pricing for Windows 7 will be £149.99 for Home Premium, £219.99 for Professional and £229.99 for Ultimate. The notional prices for the unobtainable upgrades for existing Windows owners are £79.99, £189.99 and £199.99 respectively.

However, UK shoppers will initially be able to buy the standalone product at upgrade prices for a limited period. "[The full retail price] is more than people would expect to pay," said Painell. "We will be offering fully packaged product at upgrade prices from the launch to the beginning of next year."

The operating system can also be pre-ordered at promotional prices of £49.99 for Home Premium and £99.99 for Professional. There is no pre-order promotion for Ultimate.

Taken from the article @ ZDnet NewsMicrosoft sets UK prices for Windows 7

myriad46

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
I just built a system with Vista 64 and got the coupon to get Windows 7. Since this is coming with an OEM copy, I am assuming the "upgrade" version will function. IN the past, I believed that you could not "upgrade" and OEM copy. Is this still true? Will there be a free standing OEM of Win 7 after the release date?