Got my first bill today

I'm new to this. It says I did 17 downloads. I thought Get It Now only
costed air time, no fees for getting free samples and stuff. I guess each
game and ring tone group I used costed me money. Hmmm!

Horseface

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 04:46:00 GMT, "Horseface"
<mammy-joe-gentry@comcast.net> wrote:

>I'm new to this. It says I did 17 downloads. I thought Get It Now only
>costed air time, no fees for getting free samples and stuff.

Free samples are free. It all depends on what that other "stuff" is
you downloaded.

Oh, and I thought I'd be able to save money by combining my home phone
Verizon bill with my wireless. Then it said in fine print that it has to be
paid before you save 10%. Then it said in finer print that by "paid," they
mean "paid for six consecutive months." This is bull.

Horseface

"Horseface" <mammy-joe-gentry@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm new to this. It says I did 17 downloads. I thought Get It Now only
> costed air time, no fees for getting free samples and stuff. I guess each
> game and ring tone group I used costed me money. Hmmm!
>
> Horseface

I think you need to read before you sign on the dotted line.

> Oh, and I thought I'd be able to save money by combining my home phone
> Verizon bill with my wireless. Then it said in fine print that it has
> to be paid before you save 10%. Then it said in finer print that by
> "paid," they mean "paid for six consecutive months." This is bull.
>
> Horseface
>

> "Horseface" <mammy-joe-gentry@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I'm new to this. It says I did 17 downloads. I thought Get It Now
>> only costed air time, no fees for getting free samples and stuff. I
>> guess each game and ring tone group I used costed me money. Hmmm!
>>
>> Horseface

Mitchell Regenbogen, Brooklyn, New York, mreg@panix.com
"Knowledge is Good."

Killer Madness <killermo@cnet.com> wrote:
> Hahaha, now watch...you'll get loads of people telling you that you should
> have read the bill more carefully or made sure you knew what you were
> getting. Like you're gonna stand in the store and read fine print you can
> barely read without a magnifying glass. People like that piss me off.
> They're cheap and very anal retentive.

So you're saying no one should bother reading the entire contract? That's
intelligent. Contracts are legally binding. That's a damned good reason to
read the entire contract.

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

What phone do you have? You can put on any and all get it now apps on your
phone for free, with unlimited uses and all, any and all get it now for free
without paying. GIN is a joke and so are people that pay for apps! if your
familiar with irc go to wundernet.nu and join #phonephreakz to find out how

for all the times verizon screws you, you can make up for it ten fold with
free stuff they want you to pay for.

Steven J Sobol wrote:

> So you're saying no one should bother reading the entire contract? <...>

No, that's not what he said at all. Please read a posting before
replying to it.

The Grammer Genious <schultzp@erols.com> wrote:
> Steven J Sobol wrote:
>
>> So you're saying no one should bother reading the entire contract? <...>
>
> No, that's not what he said at all. Please read a posting before
> replying to it.

That's exactly what he said. I did read. He thinks people shouldn't
have to read the fine print. I'll agree that the fine print shouldn't be
fine print, but anyone who doesn't read the entire agreement they're
signing is asking to get screwed.

I have the LG VX6000. The only stuff I downloaded were demos of games.
However, they came in different packages. I listened to ring tones, but I
had to download the packages (like Modtones, or whatever), and I guess
hearing the tones is free, but accessing Modtones isn't.

Horseface

"Brian" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
> What phone do you have? You can put on any and all get it now apps on your
> phone for free, with unlimited uses and all, any and all get it now for
free
> without paying. GIN is a joke and so are people that pay for apps! if your
> familiar with irc go to wundernet.nu and join #phonephreakz to find out
how

> for all the times verizon screws you, you can make up for it ten fold with
> free stuff they want you to pay for.
>
> "Horseface" <mammy-joe-gentry@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > I'm new to this. It says I did 17 downloads. I thought Get It Now only
> > costed air time, no fees for getting free samples and stuff. I guess
each
> > game and ring tone group I used costed me money. Hmmm!
> >
> > Horseface

Just like i predicted....dude, if you actually read EVERY fine print to
EVERY contract you've signed and understood everyone of them you wouldn't
have any time on your hands to even be in here posting. A cellular contract
would literally take about an hour to read. A contract is made to be broken.
And once again this is why cable companies (at least the one I work for) are
superior then cellular companies. No fine print contracts or bullshit to put
up with like the cellular greedy scams.

sjsobol@JustThe.net
> PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
> Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 22:34:52 -0400, "Killer Madness"
<killermike@qwerty.com> wrote:

>Well, you must have not read the contract with the cable company since you
>have so many problems with them.

First off, you quoted my ENTIRE message, so I have no clue what you
are referring to - I moved out of my apartment, closed my cable
account, someone else moved in, and the cable company started billing
me. Tell me how that is MY fault. Tell me how that is in the contract.

>Put it this way, a contract is NOT required with the cable company and those new digital cable boxes that customer's
>abuse on a daily basis cost about $400 each.

You contradict yourself. You said I signed a contract, but a contract
isn't required. Which is it?

Killer Madness <killermike@qwerty.com> wrote:
> Just like i predicted....dude, if you actually read EVERY fine print to
> EVERY contract you've signed and understood everyone of them you wouldn't
> have any time on your hands to even be in here posting.

I refuse to sign contracts with that much fine print. (And believe me, I've
seen 'em.)

The claim "contracts are made to be broken" is utter bullshit.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Steven J Sobol wrote:

> I refuse to sign contracts with that much fine print. (And believe me, I've
> seen 'em.)

I don't remember exactly how much fine print Verizon's wireless contract
has, but it sure seemed, to me, to be very one sided. And, the contract
disclaims responsibility and liability for the company more than
anything else, as I recall. After I read the contract, I was left with
the feeling that my only right was to pay on time. Since I wanted the
service, I signed the contract.

I have had a Verizon (Bell Atlantic) land line since the 60's. Somehow,
over the years, customer service has changed. For instance,
appointments to run a second line not kept, trouble tickets closed
before the "trouble" is fixed, and, don't get me started on the six or
seven times I was stood up when I had appointments with Verizon in
relation to having dsl installed through another provider. Because of
the above problems, now that VOIP is available, I am dropping Verizon
and will use VOIP as a backup to our cell phones - at a fraction of the
price for Verizon land lines.

Briefly had Verizon dsl, too. After four years of my having 1.5/384 dsl
with another provider, Verizon finally offered dsl to my number, and at
a discount. Before I started, I "confirmed" that I would get similar
speeds to what I had had for years, and was told that my line would
qualify for the 1.5/128. I was also told that I would qualify for the
reduced price of $30 mo., since I had Verizon wireless. Instead, I was
stuck with the 768/128 speeds and had to pay the higher price. I am now
using cable.

We mostly use our cell phones when we are down on the middle peninsula
of Virginia. Only Cingular and Verizon offer service in that area, and
only Verizon actually gives us a usable signal at the house - so Verizon
wins hands down. I don't have another cell provider to compare to, but
I do sometimes have dropped calls and poor connections; I accept the
occasional problems, and have never complained to Verizon to date.

One thing I do not like is the way Verizon allots minutes when a family
plan line is added in the middle of the month; and no, I wasn't informed
of how this was done when I placed my order; and no, I didn't read the
contract because it was done over the phone and now, a week later, I
still haven't received the contract in the mail. Somehow, with eleven
days in the cycle left, my wife lost over a hundred minutes of usage
when I added a family share line for myself. In fact, had my wife used
a greater percentage of minutes, she would have been charged for going
over her minutes even though she was still under her monthly usage
amount. I hope I have explained the above correctly; I am still having
trouble wrapping my head around the fact that by increasing our plan, we
lost minutes.

I realize Verizon has the "best network", but damn, does everything have
to be in their favor? Would it kill Verizon to throw it's customers a
bone now and then? As usual, I will do what is best for me and my
circumstances; if something better comes along, I will take advantage of it.

I enjoy reading this newsgroup, and have gotten a lot of good
information from reading it.

Tom

"Horseface" <mammy-joe-gentry@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Oh, and I thought I'd be able to save money by combining my home phone
> Verizon bill with my wireless. Then it said in fine print that it has to
be
> paid before you save 10%. Then it said in finer print that by "paid,"
they
> mean "paid for six consecutive months." This is bull.
>
> Horseface

Called Verizon today about saving 10%. Turns out I won't be able to save
10%, even though three different Verizon people told me I would be able to.
I don't have some special plan that would be needed to save it.

Horseface

> "Horseface" <mammy-joe-gentry@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > I'm new to this. It says I did 17 downloads. I thought Get It Now only
> > costed air time, no fees for getting free samples and stuff. I guess
each
> > game and ring tone group I used costed me money. Hmmm!
> >
> > Horseface

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Horseface wrote:
> Called Verizon today about saving 10%. Turns out I won't be able to save
> 10%, even though three different Verizon people told me I would be able to.
> I don't have some special plan that would be needed to save it.
>
> Horseface

This is the real problem with Verizon customer service, be it cell,
pots, or dsl - you can never count on information from a particular
individual to be correct. It's a lot like calling the IRS, following
their advice,and then finding out you owe money because you filed your
taxes wrong, based on faulty advice.

I do believe Verizon, even the IRS, would like to give good service,
it's just not happening as often as it should.

Tom

Tom <tom@cox.net> wrote:
> Steven J Sobol wrote:
>
>> I refuse to sign contracts with that much fine print. (And believe me, I've
>> seen 'em.)
>
> I don't remember exactly how much fine print Verizon's wireless contract
> has, but it sure seemed, to me, to be very one sided. And, the contract
> disclaims responsibility and liability for the company more than
> anything else, as I recall.

Yeah, lots of contracts do. I ignore such disclaimers because they won't
typically hold up in court if the company does something heinously wrong.

> I have had a Verizon (Bell Atlantic) land line since the 60's. Somehow,
> over the years, customer service has changed. For instance,
> appointments to run a second line not kept, trouble tickets closed
> before the "trouble" is fixed, and, don't get me started on the six or
> seven times I was stood up when I had appointments with Verizon in
> relation to having dsl installed through another provider. Because of
> the above problems, now that VOIP is available, I am dropping Verizon
> and will use VOIP as a backup to our cell phones - at a fraction of the
> price for Verizon land lines.

Well, Verizon's landline division is like the landline divisions of all
telcos. All landline providers stink to high heaven. SBC's landline division,
as I've mentioned here many times, tried to screw me out of close to $200 in
fees for services they did not provide, and as a result I won't do business
with Cingular. I suspect Cingular's customer service is FAR better than the
landline provider's customer service, and probably far better than that of
BellSouth (the other company that co-owns Cingular), but due to my horrible
experiences with one of the parent companies, it will be a cold day in Hell
before I get service from Cingular.

tron

NEVER, and I mean NEVER combine your bills with Verizon. There's virtually
no advantage for you AT ALL. Most promotions exclude combined billing, and
you will be bounced from VZ to VZW and so on if there's ever a
problem...those are some of the problems you WILL face if you combine.

"Horseface" <mammy-joe-gentry@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm new to this. It says I did 17 downloads. I thought Get It Now only
> costed air time, no fees for getting free samples and stuff. I guess each
> game and ring tone group I used costed me money. Hmmm!
>
> Horseface

You didn't read ANY of the screens on your phone? Anytime I've bought GIN
software it always tells me one or two times the price and I have to press
"ok" to agree to paying it.

It's NOT fine print, it's a screen you have to go though to even start the
download.

-Wes

"Tron" <tron2001@hotmail.com> wrote in

> NEVER, and I mean NEVER combine your bills with Verizon. There's
> virtually no advantage for you AT ALL. Most promotions exclude
> combined billing, and you will be bounced from VZ to VZW and so on if
> there's ever a problem...those are some of the problems you WILL face
> if you combine.

And NEVER give them direct access to ANY of your money account numbers
(credit cards, bank account drafting, debit cards).....NEVER.

Pay your bills MANUALLY with your check, through the mails.....That makes
it mail fraud, by the way.

Larry

Verizon throw you a bone? You mean like a benefit or help you out? Your
kidding right?

7pm start nights
Fridays included in weekend
Roll over minutes
Extra hundred free minutes for good standing customers

Tell me people, does Verizon REFUSE to give any of these benefits out
because right now and only right now they have a good network? Don't burn
your bridges you cross over Verizon...you won't have the best network
forever...so start giving some benefits to customer's or eventually when
other network surpass your network quality they won't go running right away.
O yea, they'll have to pay your high early termination fee. People, PLEASE
DO NOT TELL ME YOU WOULD NOT LIKE SOME OF EVEN ONE OF THESE BENEFITS. Why
the hell don't you complain and request them like I have for years only to
get nothing in return besides non english speaking customer service and
incompetent service! Hey, if you don't expect more for your money, then
you're an idiot.

"Tom" <tom@cox.net> wrote in message news:pM_Dc.17609$WI2.6015@lakeread05...
> [...]
> days in the cycle left, my wife lost over a hundred minutes of usage
> when I added a family share line for myself. In fact, had my wife used
> a greater percentage of minutes, she would have been charged for going
> over her minutes even though she was still under her monthly usage
> amount. I hope I have explained the above correctly; I am still having
> trouble wrapping my head around the fact that by increasing our plan, we
> lost minutes.
>
> I realize Verizon has the "best network", but damn, does everything have
> to be in their favor? Would it kill Verizon to throw it's customers a
> bone now and then? As usual, I will do what is best for me and my
> circumstances; if something better comes along, I will take advantage of
it.

> I enjoy reading this newsgroup, and have gotten a lot of good

The bottom line, cable companies have much better procedures and policies
then cellular companies anyday! No early termination fee because there's no
contracts! Good promotions all the time, free cable box (worth $400)
included in most packages. Too broad of technologies, but I really would
like to see some policies in the cable company used on a cellular company.
One reason it won't happen is that the cellular companies management teams
are much more greedy and only out for a quick buck while they can take
advantage. Hey, all of our roll over minutes and 7pm start nights is going
in some one's pocket making it fatter and fatter. But you like that.

"Evan Platt" <evan@TheObvious.espphotography.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 22:34:52 -0400, "Killer Madness"
> <killermike@qwerty.com> wrote:
>
> >Well, you must have not read the contract with the cable company since
you
> >have so many problems with them.
>
> First off, you quoted my ENTIRE message, so I have no clue what you
> are referring to - I moved out of my apartment, closed my cable
> account, someone else moved in, and the cable company started billing
> me. Tell me how that is MY fault. Tell me how that is in the contract.
>
> >Put it this way, a contract is NOT required with the cable company and
those new digital cable boxes that customer's
> >abuse on a daily basis cost about $400 each.
>
> You contradict yourself. You said I signed a contract, but a contract
> isn't required. Which is it?
> --
> To reply, remove TheObvious from my e-mail address.

Problem with Verizon...no way! You're kidding!?

"Tron" <tron2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> NEVER, and I mean NEVER combine your bills with Verizon. There's
virtually
> no advantage for you AT ALL. Most promotions exclude combined billing,
and
> you will be bounced from VZ to VZW and so on if there's ever a
> problem...those are some of the problems you WILL face if you combine.
>

> "Horseface" <mammy-joe-gentry@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > I'm new to this. It says I did 17 downloads. I thought Get It Now only
> > costed air time, no fees for getting free samples and stuff. I guess
each
> > game and ring tone group I used costed me money. Hmmm!
> >
> > Horseface

It says I have to pay if I push the access the web button. It did tell me I
had to pay when I downloaded four ring tones. It did NOT tell me I had to
pay to access the screens to browse ring tones in other groups than
Modtones.

Horseface

"Wesley Frater" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
> You didn't read ANY of the screens on your phone? Anytime I've bought GIN
> software it always tells me one or two times the price and I have to press
> "ok" to agree to paying it.
>
> It's NOT fine print, it's a screen you have to go though to even start the
> download.
>
> -Wes
>
> "Horseface" <mammy-joe-gentry@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > I'm new to this. It says I did 17 downloads. I thought Get It Now only
> > costed air time, no fees for getting free samples and stuff. I guess
each
> > game and ring tone group I used costed me money. Hmmm!
> >
> > Horseface

Horseface <mammy-joe-gentry@comcast.net> wrote:
> It says I have to pay if I push the access the web button. It did tell me I
> had to pay when I downloaded four ring tones. It did NOT tell me I had to
> pay to access the screens to browse ring tones in other groups than
> Modtones.

On my Kyocera 3035, when I chose to download a GetItNow! application, I'd
be given one or more options (usually X number of uses, or a monthly
subscription or whatever) with the price clearly displayed on the phone.
I couldn't use Modtones with the monophonic 3035 but I could use Ringster
and I was given the option of buying a specific number of ringers (one at
a time or in a package). No fine print. Everything was pretty clear.

Well, you did, and now you have to pay. Period.

Have a good day.