Got my first bill today

I'm new to this. It says I did 17 downloads. I thought Get It Now only
costed air time, no fees for getting free samples and stuff. I guess each
game and ring tone group I used costed me money. Hmmm!

Horseface
29 answers Last reply
More about bill today

    On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 04:46:00 GMT, "Horseface"
    <mammy-joe-gentry@comcast.net> wrote:

    >I'm new to this. It says I did 17 downloads. I thought Get It Now only
    >costed air time, no fees for getting free samples and stuff.

    Free samples are free. It all depends on what that other "stuff" is
    you downloaded.

    Oh, and I thought I'd be able to save money by combining my home phone
    Verizon bill with my wireless. Then it said in fine print that it has to be
    paid before you save 10%. Then it said in finer print that by "paid," they
    mean "paid for six consecutive months." This is bull.

    Horseface

    "Horseface" <mammy-joe-gentry@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I'm new to this. It says I did 17 downloads. I thought Get It Now only
    > costed air time, no fees for getting free samples and stuff. I guess each
    > game and ring tone group I used costed me money. Hmmm!
    >
    > Horseface

    I think you need to read before you sign on the dotted line.

    > Oh, and I thought I'd be able to save money by combining my home phone
    > Verizon bill with my wireless. Then it said in fine print that it has
    > to be paid before you save 10%. Then it said in finer print that by
    > "paid," they mean "paid for six consecutive months." This is bull.
    >
    > Horseface
    >

    > "Horseface" <mammy-joe-gentry@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> I'm new to this. It says I did 17 downloads. I thought Get It Now
    >> only costed air time, no fees for getting free samples and stuff. I
    >> guess each game and ring tone group I used costed me money. Hmmm!
    >>
    >> Horseface

    Mitchell Regenbogen, Brooklyn, New York, mreg@panix.com
    "Knowledge is Good."

    Killer Madness <killermo@cnet.com> wrote:
    > Hahaha, now watch...you'll get loads of people telling you that you should
    > have read the bill more carefully or made sure you knew what you were
    > getting. Like you're gonna stand in the store and read fine print you can
    > barely read without a magnifying glass. People like that piss me off.
    > They're cheap and very anal retentive.

    So you're saying no one should bother reading the entire contract? That's
    intelligent. Contracts are legally binding. That's a damned good reason to
    read the entire contract.

    What phone do you have? You can put on any and all get it now apps on your
    phone for free, with unlimited uses and all, any and all get it now for free
    without paying. GIN is a joke and so are people that pay for apps! if your
    familiar with irc go to wundernet.nu and join #phonephreakz to find out how

    for all the times verizon screws you, you can make up for it ten fold with
    free stuff they want you to pay for.

    Steven J Sobol wrote:

    > So you're saying no one should bother reading the entire contract? <...>

    No, that's not what he said at all. Please read a posting before
    replying to it.

    The Grammer Genious <schultzp@erols.com> wrote:
    > Steven J Sobol wrote:
    >
    >> So you're saying no one should bother reading the entire contract? <...>
    >
    > No, that's not what he said at all. Please read a posting before
    > replying to it.

    That's exactly what he said. I did read. He thinks people shouldn't
    have to read the fine print. I'll agree that the fine print shouldn't be
    fine print, but anyone who doesn't read the entire agreement they're
    signing is asking to get screwed.

    I have the LG VX6000. The only stuff I downloaded were demos of games.
    However, they came in different packages. I listened to ring tones, but I
    had to download the packages (like Modtones, or whatever), and I guess
    hearing the tones is free, but accessing Modtones isn't.

    Horseface

    "Brian" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
    > What phone do you have? You can put on any and all get it now apps on your
    > phone for free, with unlimited uses and all, any and all get it now for
    free
    > without paying. GIN is a joke and so are people that pay for apps! if your
    > familiar with irc go to wundernet.nu and join #phonephreakz to find out
    how

    > for all the times verizon screws you, you can make up for it ten fold with
    > free stuff they want you to pay for.
    >
    > "Horseface" <mammy-joe-gentry@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > I'm new to this. It says I did 17 downloads. I thought Get It Now only
    > > costed air time, no fees for getting free samples and stuff. I guess
    each
    > > game and ring tone group I used costed me money. Hmmm!
    > >
    > > Horseface

    Just like i predicted....dude, if you actually read EVERY fine print to
    EVERY contract you've signed and understood everyone of them you wouldn't
    have any time on your hands to even be in here posting. A cellular contract
    would literally take about an hour to read. A contract is made to be broken.
    And once again this is why cable companies (at least the one I work for) are
    superior then cellular companies. No fine print contracts or bullshit to put
    up with like the cellular greedy scams.

    "Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
    > Killer Madness <killermo@cnet.com> wrote:
    > > Hahaha, now watch...you'll get loads of people telling you that you
    should
    > > have read the bill more carefully or made sure you knew what you were
    > > getting. Like you're gonna stand in the store and read fine print you
    can
    > > barely read without a magnifying glass. People like that piss me off.
    > > They're cheap and very anal retentive.
    >
    > So you're saying no one should bother reading the entire contract? That's
    > intelligent. Contracts are legally binding. That's a damned good reason to
    > read the entire contract.
    >
    > --
    > JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
    > Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /
    sjsobol@JustThe.net
    > PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
    > Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.

    On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 22:34:52 -0400, "Killer Madness"
    <killermike@qwerty.com> wrote:

    >Well, you must have not read the contract with the cable company since you
    >have so many problems with them.

    First off, you quoted my ENTIRE message, so I have no clue what you
    are referring to - I moved out of my apartment, closed my cable
    account, someone else moved in, and the cable company started billing
    me. Tell me how that is MY fault. Tell me how that is in the contract.

    >Put it this way, a contract is NOT required with the cable company and those new digital cable boxes that customer's
    >abuse on a daily basis cost about $400 each.

    You contradict yourself. You said I signed a contract, but a contract
    isn't required. Which is it?

    Killer Madness <killermike@qwerty.com> wrote:
    > Just like i predicted....dude, if you actually read EVERY fine print to
    > EVERY contract you've signed and understood everyone of them you wouldn't
    > have any time on your hands to even be in here posting.

    I refuse to sign contracts with that much fine print. (And believe me, I've
    seen 'em.)

    The claim "contracts are made to be broken" is utter bullshit.

    Steven J Sobol wrote:

    > I refuse to sign contracts with that much fine print. (And believe me, I've
    > seen 'em.)

    I don't remember exactly how much fine print Verizon's wireless contract
    has, but it sure seemed, to me, to be very one sided. And, the contract
    disclaims responsibility and liability for the company more than
    anything else, as I recall. After I read the contract, I was left with
    the feeling that my only right was to pay on time. Since I wanted the
    service, I signed the contract.

    I have had a Verizon (Bell Atlantic) land line since the 60's. Somehow,
    over the years, customer service has changed. For instance,
    appointments to run a second line not kept, trouble tickets closed
    before the "trouble" is fixed, and, don't get me started on the six or
    seven times I was stood up when I had appointments with Verizon in
    relation to having dsl installed through another provider. Because of
    the above problems, now that VOIP is available, I am dropping Verizon
    and will use VOIP as a backup to our cell phones - at a fraction of the
    price for Verizon land lines.

    Briefly had Verizon dsl, too. After four years of my having 1.5/384 dsl
    with another provider, Verizon finally offered dsl to my number, and at
    a discount. Before I started, I "confirmed" that I would get similar
    speeds to what I had had for years, and was told that my line would
    qualify for the 1.5/128. I was also told that I would qualify for the
    reduced price of $30 mo., since I had Verizon wireless. Instead, I was
    stuck with the 768/128 speeds and had to pay the higher price. I am now
    using cable.

    We mostly use our cell phones when we are down on the middle peninsula
    of Virginia. Only Cingular and Verizon offer service in that area, and
    only Verizon actually gives us a usable signal at the house - so Verizon
    wins hands down. I don't have another cell provider to compare to, but
    I do sometimes have dropped calls and poor connections; I accept the
    occasional problems, and have never complained to Verizon to date.

    One thing I do not like is the way Verizon allots minutes when a family
    plan line is added in the middle of the month; and no, I wasn't informed
    of how this was done when I placed my order; and no, I didn't read the
    contract because it was done over the phone and now, a week later, I
    still haven't received the contract in the mail. Somehow, with eleven
    days in the cycle left, my wife lost over a hundred minutes of usage
    when I added a family share line for myself. In fact, had my wife used
    a greater percentage of minutes, she would have been charged for going
    over her minutes even though she was still under her monthly usage
    amount. I hope I have explained the above correctly; I am still having
    trouble wrapping my head around the fact that by increasing our plan, we
    lost minutes.

    I realize Verizon has the "best network", but damn, does everything have
    to be in their favor? Would it kill Verizon to throw it's customers a
    bone now and then? As usual, I will do what is best for me and my
    circumstances; if something better comes along, I will take advantage of it.

    I enjoy reading this newsgroup, and have gotten a lot of good
    information from reading it.

    Tom

    "Horseface" <mammy-joe-gentry@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Oh, and I thought I'd be able to save money by combining my home phone
    > Verizon bill with my wireless. Then it said in fine print that it has to
    be
    > paid before you save 10%. Then it said in finer print that by "paid,"
    they
    > mean "paid for six consecutive months." This is bull.
    >
    > Horseface

    Called Verizon today about saving 10%. Turns out I won't be able to save
    10%, even though three different Verizon people told me I would be able to.
    I don't have some special plan that would be needed to save it.

    Horseface wrote:
    > Called Verizon today about saving 10%. Turns out I won't be able to save
    > 10%, even though three different Verizon people told me I would be able to.
    > I don't have some special plan that would be needed to save it.
    >
    > Horseface

    This is the real problem with Verizon customer service, be it cell,
    pots, or dsl - you can never count on information from a particular
    individual to be correct. It's a lot like calling the IRS, following
    their advice,and then finding out you owe money because you filed your
    taxes wrong, based on faulty advice.

    I do believe Verizon, even the IRS, would like to give good service,
    it's just not happening as often as it should.

    Tom

    Tom <tom@cox.net> wrote:
    > Steven J Sobol wrote:
    >
    >> I refuse to sign contracts with that much fine print. (And believe me, I've
    >> seen 'em.)
    >
    > I don't remember exactly how much fine print Verizon's wireless contract
    > has, but it sure seemed, to me, to be very one sided. And, the contract
    > disclaims responsibility and liability for the company more than
    > anything else, as I recall.

    Yeah, lots of contracts do. I ignore such disclaimers because they won't
    typically hold up in court if the company does something heinously wrong.

    > I have had a Verizon (Bell Atlantic) land line since the 60's. Somehow,
    > over the years, customer service has changed. For instance,
    > appointments to run a second line not kept, trouble tickets closed
    > before the "trouble" is fixed, and, don't get me started on the six or
    > seven times I was stood up when I had appointments with Verizon in
    > relation to having dsl installed through another provider. Because of
    > the above problems, now that VOIP is available, I am dropping Verizon
    > and will use VOIP as a backup to our cell phones - at a fraction of the
    > price for Verizon land lines.

    Well, Verizon's landline division is like the landline divisions of all
    telcos. All landline providers stink to high heaven. SBC's landline division,
    as I've mentioned here many times, tried to screw me out of close to $200 in
    fees for services they did not provide, and as a result I won't do business
    with Cingular. I suspect Cingular's customer service is FAR better than the
    landline provider's customer service, and probably far better than that of
    BellSouth (the other company that co-owns Cingular), but due to my horrible
    experiences with one of the parent companies, it will be a cold day in Hell
    before I get service from Cingular.

    NEVER, and I mean NEVER combine your bills with Verizon. There's virtually
    no advantage for you AT ALL. Most promotions exclude combined billing, and
    you will be bounced from VZ to VZW and so on if there's ever a
    problem...those are some of the problems you WILL face if you combine.

    "Horseface" <mammy-joe-gentry@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I'm new to this. It says I did 17 downloads. I thought Get It Now only
    > costed air time, no fees for getting free samples and stuff. I guess each
    > game and ring tone group I used costed me money. Hmmm!
    >
    > Horseface

    You didn't read ANY of the screens on your phone? Anytime I've bought GIN
    software it always tells me one or two times the price and I have to press
    "ok" to agree to paying it.

    It's NOT fine print, it's a screen you have to go though to even start the
    download.

    -Wes

    "Tron" <tron2001@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > NEVER, and I mean NEVER combine your bills with Verizon. There's
    > virtually no advantage for you AT ALL. Most promotions exclude
    > combined billing, and you will be bounced from VZ to VZW and so on if
    > there's ever a problem...those are some of the problems you WILL face
    > if you combine.

    And NEVER give them direct access to ANY of your money account numbers
    (credit cards, bank account drafting, debit cards).....NEVER.

    Pay your bills MANUALLY with your check, through the mails.....That makes
    it mail fraud, by the way.

    Larry

    Verizon throw you a bone? You mean like a benefit or help you out? Your
    kidding right?

    7pm start nights
    Fridays included in weekend
    Roll over minutes
    Extra hundred free minutes for good standing customers

    Tell me people, does Verizon REFUSE to give any of these benefits out
    because right now and only right now they have a good network? Don't burn
    your bridges you cross over Verizon...you won't have the best network
    forever...so start giving some benefits to customer's or eventually when
    other network surpass your network quality they won't go running right away.
    O yea, they'll have to pay your high early termination fee. People, PLEASE
    DO NOT TELL ME YOU WOULD NOT LIKE SOME OF EVEN ONE OF THESE BENEFITS. Why
    the hell don't you complain and request them like I have for years only to
    get nothing in return besides non english speaking customer service and
    incompetent service! Hey, if you don't expect more for your money, then
    you're an idiot.

    "Tom" <tom@cox.net> wrote in message news:PM_Dc.17609$WI2.6015@lakeread05...
> [...]
    > days in the cycle left, my wife lost over a hundred minutes of usage
    > when I added a family share line for myself. In fact, had my wife used
    > a greater percentage of minutes, she would have been charged for going
    > over her minutes even though she was still under her monthly usage
    > amount. I hope I have explained the above correctly; I am still having
    > trouble wrapping my head around the fact that by increasing our plan, we
    > lost minutes.
    >
    > I realize Verizon has the "best network", but damn, does everything have
    > to be in their favor? Would it kill Verizon to throw it's customers a
    > bone now and then? As usual, I will do what is best for me and my
    > circumstances; if something better comes along, I will take advantage of
    it.

    > I enjoy reading this newsgroup, and have gotten a lot of good

    The bottom line, cable companies have much better procedures and policies
    then cellular companies anyday! No early termination fee because there's no
    contracts! Good promotions all the time, free cable box (worth $400)
    included in most packages. Too broad of technologies, but I really would
    like to see some policies in the cable company used on a cellular company.
    One reason it won't happen is that the cellular companies management teams
    are much more greedy and only out for a quick buck while they can take
    advantage. Hey, all of our roll over minutes and 7pm start nights is going
    in some one's pocket making it fatter and fatter. But you like that.

    "Evan Platt" <evan@TheObvious.espphotography.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 22:34:52 -0400, "Killer Madness"
    > <killermike@qwerty.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Well, you must have not read the contract with the cable company since
    you
    > >have so many problems with them.
    >
    > First off, you quoted my ENTIRE message, so I have no clue what you
    > are referring to - I moved out of my apartment, closed my cable
    > account, someone else moved in, and the cable company started billing
    > me. Tell me how that is MY fault. Tell me how that is in the contract.
    >
    > >Put it this way, a contract is NOT required with the cable company and
    those new digital cable boxes that customer's
    > >abuse on a daily basis cost about $400 each.
    >
    > You contradict yourself. You said I signed a contract, but a contract
    > isn't required. Which is it?
    > --
    > To reply, remove TheObvious from my e-mail address.

    Problem with Verizon...no way! You're kidding!?

    "Tron" <tron2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > NEVER, and I mean NEVER combine your bills with Verizon. There's
    virtually
    > no advantage for you AT ALL. Most promotions exclude combined billing,
    and
    > you will be bounced from VZ to VZW and so on if there's ever a
    > problem...those are some of the problems you WILL face if you combine.
    >

    > "Horseface" <mammy-joe-gentry@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > I'm new to this. It says I did 17 downloads. I thought Get It Now only
    > > costed air time, no fees for getting free samples and stuff. I guess
    each
    > > game and ring tone group I used costed me money. Hmmm!
    > >
    > > Horseface

    It says I have to pay if I push the access the web button. It did tell me I
    had to pay when I downloaded four ring tones. It did NOT tell me I had to
    pay to access the screens to browse ring tones in other groups than
    Modtones.

    Horseface

    "Wesley Frater" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
    > You didn't read ANY of the screens on your phone? Anytime I've bought GIN
    > software it always tells me one or two times the price and I have to press
    > "ok" to agree to paying it.
    >
    > It's NOT fine print, it's a screen you have to go though to even start the
    > download.
    >
    > -Wes
    >
    > "Horseface" <mammy-joe-gentry@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > I'm new to this. It says I did 17 downloads. I thought Get It Now only
    > > costed air time, no fees for getting free samples and stuff. I guess
    each
    > > game and ring tone group I used costed me money. Hmmm!
    > >
    > > Horseface

    Horseface <mammy-joe-gentry@comcast.net> wrote:
    > It says I have to pay if I push the access the web button. It did tell me I
    > had to pay when I downloaded four ring tones. It did NOT tell me I had to
    > pay to access the screens to browse ring tones in other groups than
    > Modtones.

    On my Kyocera 3035, when I chose to download a GetItNow! application, I'd
    be given one or more options (usually X number of uses, or a monthly
    subscription or whatever) with the price clearly displayed on the phone.
    I couldn't use Modtones with the monophonic 3035 but I could use Ringster
    and I was given the option of buying a specific number of ringers (one at
    a time or in a package). No fine print. Everything was pretty clear.

    Well, you did, and now you have to pay. Period.

    Have a good day.

    In article <rhrEc.35966$904.6702@fe35.usenetserver.com>,
    "Killer Madness" <killermo@cnet.com> wrote:

    > The bottom line, cable companies have much better procedures and policies
    > then cellular companies anyday! No early termination fee because there's no
    > contracts! Good promotions all the time, free cable box (worth $400)
    > included in most packages. Too broad of technologies, but I really would
    > like to see some policies in the cable company used on a cellular company.
    > One reason it won't happen is that the cellular companies management teams
    > are much more greedy and only out for a quick buck while they can take
    > advantage. Hey, all of our roll over minutes and 7pm start nights is going
    > in some one's pocket making it fatter and fatter. But you like that.

    You work for a cable company, and you have the BALLS to talk about
    greed, and only being out for a quick buck?

    "And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but
    considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?"

    Don't quote me on this, but I think he *was* talking to a Cox Cable Rep
    at the time...

    Fred

    --
    "Light moves faster than sound. That's why some
    folks appear bright until you hear them speak..."

    In article <gdrEc.35894$904.13989@fe35.usenetserver.com>,
    "Killer Madness" <killermo@cnet.com> wrote:

    > DO NOT TELL ME YOU WOULD NOT LIKE SOME OF EVEN ONE OF THESE BENEFITS.

    Yeah, and people in Hell want ice-water...

    --
    "Light moves faster than sound. That's why some
    folks appear bright until you hear them speak..."

    Yeah, I bought 5 uses of Modtones. So I can browse Modtones all I want. I
    had to pay to look at Ringster tones and see that I didn't want any. I
    still had to pay to look at the tones. It's stupid.

    Horseface

    In article <rDLEc.7293$MB3.5869@attbi_s04>,
    "Horseface" <mammy-joe-gentry@comcast.net> wrote:

    > Yeah, I bought 5 uses of Modtones. So I can browse Modtones all I want. I
    > had to pay to look at Ringster tones and see that I didn't want any. I
    > still had to pay to look at the tones. It's stupid.
    >
    > Horseface

    Why not just connect to their website and check out the tones that way?

    In fact, Modtones lets you set up a Wish List on-line that you can
    access on your phone.

    Fred

    --

    On 1 Jul 2004 00:40:16 -0500, FPP <fredp@mail.com> wrote:

    >Yeah, and people in Hell want ice-water...
    Guess that I've been wrong all these years. I was told that they
    wanted cold beer.
    --
    E-mail: kevjay@attglobal.net

Verizon Games Internet Service Providers