Sign in with
Your question

World of Warcraft Black Screen Crashes

Last response: in Video Games
July 12, 2009 8:57:34 PM

Just installed a new GTX 285 (evga) and I'm getting black screen crashes during gameplay usually within 15 mins. The monitor loses signal. Tower lights and fans still working but a hard reboot is required. My old GTX+ 9800 worked with no problems for 1 year. Before that I had 2 GTS 8800's sli'd with no problems. This problem only occurs playing world of warcraft and only after I installed the new GTX 285. Bioshock, Fallout 3, Crysis and COD all work fine. Thousands of posts regarding this issue but no solution. Wow blames nvidia and nvidia (evga) blames wow.

Things i've tried:
New Drivers
Old Drivers
New power supply (corsair 750w model# CMPSU-750TX)
Turned down video settings/resolution
Removed SB Audigy and used onboard sound
Increased VC fan speed.
Checked fans/GPU and CPU temps
Increased memory voltage
Downclocked the VC (decreased crash frequency - the only thing that helped)
Updated motherboard chipset driver (nforce)
Replaced power strip/Direct from wall outlet
RMA'd the card (i'm on the third one)
Tried 2nd PCIE slot
Updated Direct X
Swapped VC into 2 other systems (one of which was a fresh XP install)
Closed background programs
Checked the event viewer for clues
Removed mods/deleted cache/wtf folders
System File Checker
Wow repair.exe
Windowed mode

I'm at my wits end. Anyone else having this issue?

My Specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 (3.33 Ghz)
Asus P5N32-E SLI Motherboard (680i chipset)
2 G Corsair CM2X1024-6400C4 Memory (2.1 voltage) 4-4-4-12
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB sata
EVGA GTX 285 sc edition (01G-P3-1285-AR)(underclocked to stock settings 648/1476/1242)
Win XP Pro SP3 w/ all updates
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 14, 2009 3:49:16 AM

i have seen the issue on the WoW tech forum and the cards in question are always evga 200 series. I have also read threads about this issue in other games with the same evga cards.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 28, 2009 11:28:15 PM

i am having the exact same problem and I'm using an 8800 gts on an evga 680i SLI mobo. I've had the black screen where my monitor is on standby and my computer is still running twice now and its weird cause upon restarting (manually) it either immediately does it again, or doesn't revert to it for the entire day of play. Sometimes it does it on startup from an entire day of being turned off so I know its not the heat. I've done several possible fixes like the first post and its still no good. Today I got another issue that came up regarding the game freezing and looping different noises. I havent changed anything in my system for over a year now and this problem only occurred after installing 3.2.2
Related resources
November 16, 2009 12:35:34 PM

I am having the same problem since installing Windows 7 - Have a 9800GTX+ which was working fine untill new Windows install
December 6, 2009 12:24:56 AM

Windows 7 with bfg gtx 285 oc only crashes in wow. I have worked with nvidia and had bfg rma replace the card. Nvidia's resolution after 30 different attempts was to underclock the video card with ntune. As others have posted it doesn't resolve the issue but reduces the number of occurances.

Things I have noticed:

If you press ctrl+alt+delete when the screen freezes Windows 7 will reload the driver.

If you let it go on for too long it will eventually perform a memory dump and you find a tdr driver fault error.

Sometimes it will cause the screen to speckle dots all over. Commonly assosciated with the driver trying to write to memory that it shouldn't and also bad video memory. But since i have had the card replace already i doubt that is the issue.

I am now (after 3 months) with nvidia tech support II on this issue.

If anyone knows anything please post!
December 6, 2009 1:45:24 AM

Nvidia and evga blame wow and wow blames them. I replaced my 9800 gtx+ with an ati
4850 and never had another crash
December 9, 2009 7:26:53 AM

Having the same prob with Wow / nvidia 285 on win7 64 bit too ...

I get the freezes and the speckled screen.......

anyone found out a workaround ???
!