PC slow to boot since installing wireless NW card

I've had to install a wireless network card to my desktop PC to allow
connection to my wireless router and what used to take less than a
minute can take up to five minutes to allow me to work. First it takes a
couple of minutes showing the Windows XP screen which eventually goes
black and then the log on screen finally appears into which I type my
password and there is another delay whilst the password field catches up
with the keyboard. When my desktop finally appears, (up to two minutes
later) the icons then take about a minute to show themselves, crawling
slowly into view. I have installed the latest drivers for this card from
the manufacturers web site without improvement. I have tried to start it
in safe mode and time the files as they are loading and it seems that
Mup.sys (is this file necessary, something to do with Novell servers?)
could have a bearing on the problem as it refuse to load or seems so as
I get fed up and reboot the system.
Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated

Mike H

Mike, try a different PCI slot.
"Mike Hyndman" <mike@tmphyndman.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> I've had to install a wireless network card to my desktop PC to allow
> connection to my wireless router and what used to take less than a
> minute can take up to five minutes to allow me to work. First it takes a
> couple of minutes showing the Windows XP screen which eventually goes
> black and then the log on screen finally appears into which I type my
> password and there is another delay whilst the password field catches up
> with the keyboard. When my desktop finally appears, (up to two minutes
> later) the icons then take about a minute to show themselves, crawling
> slowly into view. I have installed the latest drivers for this card from
> the manufacturers web site without improvement. I have tried to start it
> in safe mode and time the files as they are loading and it seems that
> Mup.sys (is this file necessary, something to do with Novell servers?)
> could have a bearing on the problem as it refuse to load or seems so as
> I get fed up and reboot the system.
> Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated
>
> Mike H

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 21:48:57 GMT, "Rich Barry" <rbarry@socal.rr.com>
wrote:
Rich,
Many thanks, but I have since removed the card and gone back to a lan
connection to the router and the problem is still there. This wasn't an
issue prior to the installation of the card, it's as if there is some
driver loading issue or incompatability to blame. Its a PITA!
> Mike, try a different PCI slot.

I've uninstalled the drivers for the card and the PC is back to
performing as it did.
When I originally installed the card, I used the drivers that came with
it, then downloaded the latest drivers from the web site and installed
them. I have just installed the updated driver only, followed by the
card and it appears (SO FAR) to be working as it should. Possible that
there was some conflict between the two versions of driver causing the
delay in booting?regards
Mike H

TRENDING THREADS