firewall woes

when logged on as an adminstrator, I can turn on the firwall, and
have to do so every time I turn the machine on. When I log on as a
user, it is OFF, and I can't turn it on (insufficient privelegdes).
This makes no sense. How do I keep the firewall turned on by
default, but allow both admins and users to temproarily disable it?

- elmar
9 answers Last reply
More about firewall woes

    You can make user have the right of the adminstrator by GROUP PLOICY!

    In article <D61AF1C4-3295-4858-B7A7-49D281E2C274@microsoft.com>,
    andylee@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > You can make user have the right of the adminstrator by GROUP PLOICY!

    That defeats the entire reason to have user accounts and to disable
    administrator accounts (security). How can I keep the firewall
    enabled for users, please?

    On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 22:04:19 GMT, jankin wrote:

    > when logged on as an adminstrator, I can turn on the firwall, and
    > have to do so every time I turn the machine on. When I log on as a
    > user, it is OFF, and I can't turn it on (insufficient privelegdes).
    > This makes no sense. How do I keep the firewall turned on by
    > default, but allow both admins and users to temproarily disable it?

    Once set by an administrator account, a firewall should stay on regardless
    of who's logged on. What firewall are you using? Is there another user on
    this system that would turn off the firewall and then log off without
    turning it back on again?

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    In article <ea4RoO6QFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
    sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org says...
    > On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 22:04:19 GMT, jankin wrote:
    >
    > > when logged on as an adminstrator, I can turn on the firwall, and
    > > have to do so every time I turn the machine on. When I log on as a
    > > user, it is OFF, and I can't turn it on (insufficient privelegdes).
    > > This makes no sense. How do I keep the firewall turned on by
    > > default, but allow both admins and users to temproarily disable it?
    >
    > Once set by an administrator account, a firewall should stay on regardless
    > of who's logged on. What firewall are you using? Is there another user on
    > this system that would turn off the firewall and then log off without
    > turning it back on again?

    It wont' stay seyt - I am the only user (I am setting up this
    machine, so I have both admin accounts and user accounts). I turen
    the firewall on, and then log ogg, and logon to the user, and the
    firewall is OFF again.

    - elmar

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:09:39 GMT, jankin wrote:

    > It wont' stay seyt - I am the only user (I am setting up this
    > machine, so I have both admin accounts and user accounts). I turen
    > the firewall on, and then log ogg, and logon to the user, and the
    > firewall is OFF again.
    >
    > - elmar

    Set the firewall from the admin account. Just for grins, log off and then
    log on to the administrator account again. Once that is successful, then
    try logging on with a limited user account.

    This is XP's firewall, isn't it? Or is it a different one? The installation
    of some software firewalls will turn off XP's firewall. If they do not
    communicate correctly with the security center in SP2, it may appear that
    the firewall is off when it isn't.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    In article <utGQrBKRFHA.996@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
    sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org says...
    > Set the firewall from the admin account. Just for grins, log off and then
    > log on to the administrator account again. Once that is successful, then
    > try logging on with a limited user account.

    Just for grins (as you say), I did this. I logged on as admin, and
    the firewall was OFF. I hit "manage firewall" from the security
    center, and turned it on. Then I logged off. I immediately logged
    back on again, and hit the startbar icon for the security center as
    soon as it appeared (partway through booting the desktop). The
    firewall came up labelled ON, then immediately switched to OFF! Now
    riddle me this one, Mr. Holmes!

    > This is XP's firewall, isn't it?

    Yes - this is the built-in firewall with default settings. I don't
    even have another one resident on the machine, although I'm seriously
    considering it, based on how this one is (mis-)behaving.

    - elmar

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 20:16:48 GMT, jankin wrote:

    > Just for grins (as you say), I did this. I logged on as admin, and
    > the firewall was OFF. I hit "manage firewall" from the security
    > center, and turned it on. Then I logged off. I immediately logged
    > back on again, and hit the startbar icon for the security center as
    > soon as it appeared (partway through booting the desktop). The
    > firewall came up labelled ON, then immediately switched to OFF! Now
    > riddle me this one, Mr. Holmes!

    Okay, this is what I was wondering -- whether the setting would "stick" for
    your account at all. Worry about other accounts later. That the firewall
    tried to run is a good sign. That it was then turned off, is not.

    Not limited to the following but damage to system files or malware could be
    causing this. Are other settings not sticking for your account? If no, this
    is a common symptom seen with corrupt or infested accounts. Check the
    system thoroughly for virus or other malware. Clean if found.

    Determine if this is limited to your account only: Create a new account
    with administrator status. Log on to it. Try setting the firewall. Restart
    and log on again to see if the firewall remains in place. If the firewall
    still fails, you'll need to look further:

    How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316434

    Troubleshooting Windows Firewall settings in Windows XP Service Pack 2
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357/

    Temporary help: MVP Kelly Theriot has a script that corrects registry
    entries that enable/disable the saving of a user's settings. After a system
    is cleaned of malware, the registry settings may still need fixing and
    that's what her .REG file does:
    "Windows XP Doesn't Save User Settings" (line 30, left hand side)

    > Yes - this is the built-in firewall with default settings. I don't
    > even have another one resident on the machine, although I'm seriously
    > considering it, based on how this one is (mis-)behaving.

    Whether installing a new firewall will help might depend on why it's not
    working. On the other hand, a nice plus to a third party firewall is that
    it monitors outgoing traffic as well as incoming. XP's firewall monitors
    incoming only.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    In article <ulX6TXSRFHA.2252@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>,
    sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org says...
    > Not limited to the following but damage to system files or malware could be
    > causing this. Are other settings not sticking for your account?

    Yes - desktop setting, etc. are all sticking and staying unique for
    each user.

    > If no, this
    > is a common symptom seen with corrupt or infested accounts. Check the
    > system thoroughly for virus or other malware. Clean if found.

    Adaware, spybot and norton (all with latest updates) all pass the
    system as clean.

    > Determine if this is limited to your account only: Create a new account
    > with administrator status. Log on to it. Try setting the firewall. Restart
    > and log on again to see if the firewall remains in place.

    Note that the default "Administrator" account is disabled (that's
    just too easy of a name to leave hanging out there). I create a
    differently named admin account to run the machine. I have just
    created a new administrator (temp), logged on with it (default xp
    interface appears), firewall is off. I enable it, then logoff.
    relogon as temp and the firewall is OFF! So it still fails.

    > If the firewall
    > still fails, you'll need to look further:

    OK - I guess I'm off to these:

    > How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316434
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows Firewall settings in Windows XP Service Pack 2
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357/
    >
    > Temporary help: MVP Kelly Theriot has a script that corrects registry
    > entries that enable/disable the saving of a user's settings. After a system
    > is cleaned of malware, the registry settings may still need fixing and
    > that's what her .REG file does:
    > "Windows XP Doesn't Save User Settings" (line 30, left hand side)
    >
    > > Yes - this is the built-in firewall with default settings. I don't
    > > even have another one resident on the machine, although I'm seriously
    > > considering it, based on how this one is (mis-)behaving.
    >
    > Whether installing a new firewall will help might depend on why it's not
    > working. On the other hand, a nice plus to a third party firewall is that
    > it monitors outgoing traffic as well as incoming. XP's firewall monitors
    > incoming only.

    hmmm - good arguement. Part of it is my geekish desire that dang it
    it SHOULD work. Then and only then can I evaluate it.

    - elmar

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 20:47:56 GMT, jankin wrote:

    > hmmm - good arguement. Part of it is my geekish desire that dang it
    > it SHOULD work. Then and only then can I evaluate it.

    Same here. It's disturbing that it isn't. The firewall can be disabled by
    installing other firewalls. By malware. And of course anything trying to
    run with related files that are damaged won't work. When the files related
    to just one function are AWOL/damaged, it usually circles back to malware
    or third party firewall again.

    The firewall article I posted a link to touches only briefly on problems
    with the firewall working at all (and couldn't find any more t-shooting
    articles on the subject) which tends to indicate that this is not a common
    problem.

    The only other variables left are: permissions and policies (which is one
    of the reasons to try a new account) and some other damage to the system or
    registry (difficult to track down unspecific errors that leave no specific
    error information).

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User