Jun 14, 2009
System Specs:
GA-MA780G-UD3H Mobo
PII 710 triple core @3.1ghz
4gb OCZ 1066mhz ram
XFX 4870x2
Seasonic 650w PSU

I bought the game retail.

I have not been able to find any official response, but LOTS of complaints over the interwebs regarding the PC version of this game. There are several critical bugs being reported, from game controllers, DVD not found timeouts, sound issues, to general crashes. There is also a large amount of people reporting no problems at all. There appears to be no hardware trend amongst those with my issue:

"Prototype has encountered a problem and needs to close" At random intervals. Anywhere from 5mins to 1 hour into playing the game (High graphics, High shadows, 1920 x1080 res, steady and smooth 60+ FPS)

My PC far excedes the requirements for the game. I have stress tested, as well as game tested all my other installed titles since I installed Prototype (Ghostbusters, Crysis, HAWX, Fallout3, Far Cry 2, WoW, EQ2,) and I have confirmed that everything is running as it should be, with zero other issues.

In my attempt to get this game working, I have reinstalled all my drivers (properly with driver sweeper), returned my CPU to stock speed, lowered settings, modified/turned off sound settings, turned on/off Vsync/AAx2x4. I have tried myriad other workarounds that have been suggested for other issues with zero success. I originally installed it with a NOCD crack, but reinstalled without it with no success.

If anyone here has had similar issues, or has found a workaround, please contribute. I am loving the game, but am seriously pissed off with these issues. I normally wouldn't condone piracy, but if you are interested in buying this game, be sure to download and test first to be sure that you won't be afflicted with these issues. I wish I had, as I would have bought the PS3 version instead, or at the least not supported Activision for publishing a broken game.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I don't have any game controllers connected, and am using mouse and keyboard for gameplay.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Oh, and sorry to add via bump:

My temps are solid: CPU doesnt break 52c underload, GPU maxes about 80c, so I am pretty sure there isn't an isolated heat issue when playing Prototype.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
** Bump **

No patch from activision yet, nor an announcement of one. Still can't play the friggin game. Anyone have any suggestions? (aside from taking it back... the store I picked it up from has a VERY strict no return policy on computer games, and trade in value is only 1/4 of what I paid :( )

Activision lured me back with this game, just to have me put them back on the sh!tlist again. /angry sigh

jassao

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
to me it's driver related... but I'd personally try with just 1 4870, disabling the crossfire via CCC, just to see what happens...you can max it with just 1 4870

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
I first had this issue before I got my x2, when it was just single 4870 512mb. I didn't mention it because it the new VC had no effect on the games reliability.