Lost my SharedDocs Folder

April 17, 2005 1:03:11 PM

Somehow, I have managed to have lost my SharedDocs folder. I'm on a small
LAN, so I do need it. (I must have done a good job of it because it isn't
in the Recycle Bin either)

How can I get it back??
Thx
Haz

More about : lost shareddocs folder

Anonymous
April 17, 2005 2:43:03 PM

Lost from where?

Do you have TweakUI installed?
[+] My Computer | Check ? Files stored on this computer |
Apply | OK
-----

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Documents
or
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents

is the Shared Documents folder. It gets it's name from the desktop.ini
file.

The desktop.ini file may be missing or messed up.

Detailed instructions here on how to fix or create a desktop.ini file for
the Shared Documents folder...
http://computers.douglasthrift.net/winxpfaq.html#faq3

-----

See the WORKAROUND here...
Shared Documents Folders Are Missing From My Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319825

The My Computer Icon Displays the My Documents Folders of Another User
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;286727

My Documents folder missing in My Computer
http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak1846.aspx

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uD%23ppa1QFHA.2972@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Haz <a_burkhardt@dcwis.com> hunted and pecked:
> Somehow, I have managed to have lost my SharedDocs folder. I'm on a small
> LAN, so I do need it. (I must have done a good job of it because it isn't
> in the Recycle Bin either)
>
> How can I get it back??
> Thx
> Haz
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 6:14:01 PM

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:
> Lost from where?
>
> Do you have TweakUI installed?
> [+] My Computer | Check ? Files stored on this computer |
> Apply | OK
> -----
>
> %ALLUSERSPROFILE%Documents
> or
> C:D ocuments and SettingsAll UsersDocuments
>
> is the Shared Documents folder. It gets it's name from the
> desktop.ini
> file.
>
> The desktop.ini file may be missing or messed up.
>
> Detailed instructions here on how to fix or create a
> desktop.ini file for
> the Shared Documents folder...
> http://computers.douglasthrift.net/winxpfaq.html#faq3
>
> -----
>
> See the WORKAROUND here...
> Shared Documents Folders Are Missing From My Computer
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319825
>
> The My Computer Icon Displays the My Documents Folders of
> Another User
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;286727
>
> My Documents folder missing in My Computer
> http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak1846.aspx
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:uD%23ppa1QFHA.2972@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> Haz <a_burkhardt@dcwis.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Somehow, I have managed to have lost my SharedDocs folder.
> I'm on a small
> > LAN, so I do need it. (I must have done a good job of it
> because it isn't
> > in the Recycle Bin either)
> >
> > How can I get it back??
> > Thx
> > Haz

Hi Wes,

I was so happy to find your reply, because my shared documents seem to
be lost, and I’m not thrilled.

However, trying to put your suggestions into action, I stumble on the
fact that I cannot even get acces to the folder C:\Documents and
Settings\All Users\Documents.
Somehow I’m denied access!!

So (re-)placing a (new) desktop.ini seems out of the question.

(And does this mean I’ve somehow lost all that was in that folder
before?)

I sure hope you can help me.

Regards,
Nala King

PS This is my first time here so please forgive me if I’m not
communicating in a familiar fashion.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/New-Users-Lost-SharedDocs-...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1175280
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 8:23:51 PM

Yep,

I've got the same problem, lost the "Shared Documents" folder and have
only the "Documents" folder in "Documents and Settings\All
Users\Documents" and all attempts at accessing this folder results in
"Access Denied" message even though I am signed on as an Administrator.

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Bob

--
Bob423