Changing motherboards and saving my RAID

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I am thinking about upgrading from a Soyo KY333 to a Soyo KT400... how hard will it be to change motherboards and keep the data intact on my RAID? I have about 50 GB of DVDs that I have ripped, yet I have not figured out how to copy them to CD-Rs yet, and I would hate to lose them...

After the motherboard change, it I go into the Highpoint bios, will it recognise the old 2 HDD RAID? Will it be that simple?

My OS is installed on a different HDD.

<font color=red><b>To reign is worth ambition though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav'n.</b></font color=red>
John Milton, <i>Paradise Lost</i>, II 262-263

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
It would be from a SY-KT333 to a SY-KT400, and most of the drivers would be exactly the same...

<font color=red><b>To reign is worth ambition though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav'n.</b></font color=red>
John Milton, <i>Paradise Lost</i>, II 262-263

pat

Expert
I had a raid array on my Soyo dragon+ (promise ATA RAID chip) and I wanted to upgrage to a faster mobo/cpu. So....after some rechearch, I decided to choose the Soltek (www.soltek.com.tw)sl-75frn2-rl, which has a promise RAID chip too. The Soltek board has 2 SATA RAID connector and 1 parallel ATA RAID connector. I had to buy a serial to parallel ATA converter to put one of my HD(IDE channel 0 of my raid array) in the first SATA connector and the other drive in the parallel connector. When I started for the first time, it recongnize the array without problem and start to load windows XP, but hang after a while. I was sure it was to happen, because it was a completely different chipset(from VIA KT266A to nforce2) and in my case, I already moved everything I wanted to keep on another partition on my RAID array, so it didnt matter that I had to reformat. Fact is, it is faster for me to reinstall WinXP (37 minutes) than trying to debug for hours an installation.

So now, everything works graet with my new mobo ans old array...

I guess that if it is 2 Promise, you wont have to loose your RAID array. Oh...a DVD burner is quite affordable now and great for movie back-up...take my word!

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!