Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Irongirl (longish)

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 9:21:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

The last thread about Ironman (in agd) reminded me that I had started an
Ironman project a few months ago. She was born after I had read about a
German Ironman team which made it to Guardian. Their basic rule it that
going back to town is only allowed for proceeding to the next act, which
implies a lot of restrictions similar to 'classic' Ironman play. I was
curious how far one can get following their rules in solo play.

The decision which char to play was an easy one: it had to be a Dragon
Talon Assassin. Why? Well, see below ...

A good thing of solo Ironman is that you don't need much preparation. No
muling over of starting gear, no thinking about 'should I really put
that Ravenclaw in stash in order to shoot enchanted arrows once lvl 15
is reached'. You only have to find a decent name for your char. I named
her Irongirl-II (one of my other Assassins is called Irongirl, she is a
Tiger Strike/Dragon Tail build I had started as an Ironman project too.
She couldn't beat normal Duriel, I converted her to a fully twinked char
and had a lot of fun with her afterwards).

So let's leave the camp and only come back after Andariel is dead. The
early stages of Act 1 normal are not much different from solo untwinked
play. Except that you don't pick up any gold because you don't have a
use for it. And TP scrolls are left on the ground too. Actually I
decided to hold a single TP scroll in the inventory though. When playing
solo, you don't have party members that guard you char in case of an
urgent interruption like doorbell, phone call, whatever. I allowed
myself to TP to safety in those situations. Of course, any interaction
with NPCs or stash access or even to go back via waypoint was still
forbidden.

Things worth to mention early on: I had some luck with item drops. First
was the belt from the Death's Disguise set. Although it has just two
rows, the cannot be frozen might be usefull at some point. Because it
has only 12 durability I directly moved it into the inventory. Second
nice drop: a Felloak. 60% lightning and 20% fire resists, yeah!

After having cleared the Den of Evil, I realized the first implication
to the 'don't go to town' rule: I was not allowed to get the quest
reward. Methinks this is a bit stupid. But I had decided to play after
this rule, I had to live with it.

Neither the next quest could be completed. No merc on my side after
having killed Bloodraven :( . Not to speak of Cain's rescue, you have to
talk to Ashara to be able to activate the Cairnstones. At that point I
realized that no less than 5 quests in Act 1 will remain unfinished ...

Bad luck in Jail and Catacombs: Not a single Tome of ID scrolls dropped
for me. I had expected to gather at least one. Maybe I will allow myself
to buy one later one. For now, their is no need, as all ID scrolls are
consumed immediately anyway.

For compensation, I found some a pair of chain boots with self repair
(woot! 6-12 kick damage!) and the third gem shrine already. Which means:
I was the proud owner of a flawless skull at this early stage of the
game! With the next gem shrine, I will have mana and life leech!

Why putting a PSkull in a weapon that will break anyway you might ask
(Ironman play does not allow repairs). The not so well known answer: the
left hand claw in dual claw mode doesn't lose any durability. The plan
is to have a claw with self repair in the right hand and a claw socketed
with PSkulls in the left hand. Weapon damage doesn't matter (DT gets the
damage from the boots) so this plan can come true easily.

Without major incidents, Irongirl-II made her way to Andariel. Even the
end fight was easier than expected (only 2 healing potions consumed).

More trouble in Act 2. Mainly due to the hordes of non leechable
skeletons. I had to use Cobra Strike all the time. Which of course only
makes sense if their are leechable critters among the skellies. If not,
you can only drink mana potions or fall back to normal attack. Which
isn't very effective with Katars. Another problems were the Beetles. I
had to switch to the Felloak/2 chipped diamond shield setup several
times before running out of healing potions.

Another gem shrine resulted in my first PSkull (I'm always a bit scared
when I drop all the gems on the ground in order to get the right one
from the shrine, I might lose all in case of a game crash). Without much
thinking, I placed it into the 2 socket Wrist Blade I had collected in
Act 1. It would have been a better idea to try to cube a claw with the 3
chippy recipe hoping for 2 sockets and good extra mods. I should have
started that right from the beginning, due to the limited space
(remember, no Stash access) I had left quite a few chipped gems on the
ground early on ...

The 4% mana leech amulett found in the Claw Viper temple speeded things
up quite a bit (7% ml in total now). I could use Dragon Talon nearly all
the time. Not enough leech to keep Cloak of Shadows active though. But
that's what the Shadow Warrior is for. Just don't forget to assign CoS
to the right click even if you don't use it yourself.

After a scary fight with Fangskin (thanks to Felloak with max lightning
resists), the Palace and especially the Arcaine Sanctuary went by
smoothly. Clearing all the false Tombs was a bit tedious (BTW I played
with full clear visiting each and every area leaving nothing alive). The
Shadow Warrior tends to fight in the doorway which is a bit dangerous
here. But without the Warrior, it's not much easier either. Retreats and
sometimes even recasting the Warrior has to do it.

Anyway, at least I ended up with level 24 before entering Duriel's
chamber. That was the point where all my previous solo Ironman projects
had failed (except once when I played a Skellimancer), mainly because of
huge attack rating problems. But the higher level this time (I had not
played with full clear before) and the fact that Dragon Talon gives
nearly 300% AR bonus at slvl 12 required only 2 normal rejuvs to send
Duriel into oblivion.

Stay tuned ...

---
Hannes

More about : irongirl longish

June 13, 2005 9:21:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

> Anyway, at least I ended up with level 24 before entering Duriel's
> chamber. That was the point where all my previous solo Ironman projects
> had failed (except once when I played a Skellimancer), mainly because of
> huge attack rating problems. But the higher level this time (I had not
> played with full clear before) and the fact that Dragon Talon gives nearly
> 300% AR bonus at slvl 12 required only 2 normal rejuvs to send Duriel into
> oblivion.
>
> Stay tuned ...

Nicely done. Looking forward to the next installment 8D

--
In a World Full of Insanity
Here I Stand.
Sliver
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 9:21:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Hannes Brunner wrote:

<edit story>

> Stay tuned ...
>
> ---
> Hannes

As always, a very interesting and inspiring read. I thoroughly enjoy
your stories, even if I don't always reply.

I read the Ironman thread in AGD with interest. It certainly seems like
a challenging way to play, and I commend your pursuit. Much luck to
Irongirl-II, and I am indeed "staying tuned" . . .

Jill
Related resources
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 11:36:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 17:21:24 +0200, Hannes Brunner wrote:

> Stay tuned ...

Hehe, you make me want to install D2 again! :p  (Backed up my characters,
but let the online ones expire.) WoW doesn't offer the same potential for
addiction ...

M.
--
ClamWin, an open source antivirus software for Windows:
http://www.clamwin.com/
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 2:05:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

Michael Vondung schrieb:
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 17:21:24 +0200, Hannes Brunner wrote:
>
>>Stay tuned ...
>
> Hehe, you make me want to install D2 again! :p  (Backed up my characters,
> but let the online ones expire.) WoW doesn't offer the same potential for
> addiction ...

I haven't tried WoW yet. I have to say I don't like the concept of
monthly fees much. Not that I don't want to pay at all, it's more the
point that if I do, it will force me into play even if I'm not really in
the mood to do so. The solo Ironman stuff gives me the freedom to play
whenever I like.

---
Hannes
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 5:58:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:05:15 +0200, Hannes Brunner wrote:

> I haven't tried WoW yet. I have to say I don't like the concept of
> monthly fees much.

I'm not a huge fan of monthly fees, or of the outlook of losing everything
as soon as I stop paying, but WoW atcually does offer a fair bit of value
for the money ... that is, until you've been at level sixty (max level) for
a while. Then, rather suddenly, it becomes very slow and very uneventful,
unless you're into PvP, which I am not.

D2 is also the much faster game that offers *far* more freedom to build
viable niche characters. WoW does have classes and different skills, but
you have relatively few alternative ways in which you can place your skill
points. If you build a character that's even slightly off the mainstream,
no party will take you with them or you face incredible tedium. The former
is the killer, too. The end-game content, the "really cool stuff", requires
a party of 40 people. Try to find dates and times that work for 40 decent
people, even if you manage to find 40 quality players. Realistically, that
means you get to do a dungeon crawl of that scale once a week, and only
with apporpriate pre-scheduling. 40 randomly picked people won't even kill
the first boss monster in the end-game instance/dungeon of Molten Core.

In D2, you can just start up a new character and have her at level 40-50
after a day of play, and you can slash monsters to your hearts content,
really fast and short-whiled. Not so in WoW. It takes much longer to get a
character off the ground, and you do the same quests with every new
character. You kill 20+ monsters in D2 in the time you kill one in WoW, and
that one monster will drop much worse (usually not at all, just gold). In
D2, I had numerous characters and each was a new, exciting journey,
especially in HC untwinked. In WoW, I can't bring myself to even level a
second character to 60. To people who know me from my D2 days, this says a
lot about the longetivity WoW. It seems that many WoW players lose interest
after 3-4 months, and I have to say it's the same for me, though I
certainly played more than a "casual" player, so this might be more like
6-8 months for someone with more discipline. :) 

I don't want to knock down WoW, it's really a good game of its type. But
it's not a D2 successor. It doesn't have the same "feel", nor the freedom
or the vast number of options, and items are not as randomized as I prefer
them to be. It's more of a "play through once" game for me, and the forced
party-requirement at the high levels makes it a much more time-consuming
affair. When I play WoW, I know I'll be there for four or five hours
minimum, no breaks, no "okay, enough, don't feel like it anymore tonight",
unless you let down four to thirty-nine people who relay on you. (Okay,
maybe I shouldn't have played a healer!). For these 40-people raids, I need
to put aside half a day, something like from 3pm to 11pm where I can be
interrupted, or it's not worth it. Especially in the summer, I can't really
make such massive time committments easily. So, D2 is faster-paced yet
shorter-termed. You don't have to play three months straight to discover
whether your skill choices are good (thougg you can reassign points in
WoW), and you have definite goals (Guardianship i.e.). In WoW the goals are
more item-oriented, but this is as fun as trying to get ten full elite sets
with the same character without being able to do solo non-stop boss runs.

If/when I pick up playing D2 again, it'll be definitely only SP/HC, not
realm play anymore. My need of "interaction" is satisfied for the months to
come. ;)  I'll keep my WoW subscription, as I like the people I met there
and it's a bit like a graphical chat room, but I miss the D2 action and the
pace. I miss my 1.09 nova sorc. :)  1.10 Hell really still isn't my thing,
since it's tedious and not fun.

But first I'll take a look at Dungeon Lords, which is released in Germany
in a couple of days. Depending on how that goes, I'll be back in D2 soon.
(Not like I ever stopped reading here.)

> it will force me into play even if I'm not really in
> the mood to do so. The solo Ironman stuff gives me the freedom to play
> whenever I like.

And that exactly is something you won't be able to do in WoW if you're at a
high level. At low and medium levels you can solo comfortably, but for the
really exciting stuff you need a party, and time.

Do keep posting your stories. I still love reading them! :) 

M.
--
ClamWin, an open source antivirus software for Windows:
http://www.clamwin.com/
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 5:02:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 17:21:24 +0200, Hannes Brunner <bruhan12@web.de>
wrote:

Good going, I'll look forward to reading more on this char, though the
German ironman rules have very little appeal for me (missing all those
quests and areas? Fuggeddaboutit!).

My current ironman project is JaneBlonde, furyzon. She's 21 in the
Arcane Sanc, and finding it hard to keep her pots and weapon dur up.
She has 10 skill points saved up for Valk and LF. I don't give her a
lot of hope of getting very far, especially once the LIs show up in
late NM, but figured I should try an ironman zon just for
completeness.

-- Roy L
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 11:41:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

Long ago, in the world without shrimp, Michael Vondung <mvondung@gmail.com>,
supreme ruler of bunnies, hopped and flopped and said:

>On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:05:15 +0200, Hannes Brunner wrote:

>> I haven't tried WoW yet. I have to say I don't like the concept of
>> monthly fees much.

>I'm not a huge fan of monthly fees, or of the outlook of losing everything
>as soon as I stop paying, but WoW atcually does offer a fair bit of value
>for the money ... that is, until you've been at level sixty (max level) for
>a while. Then, rather suddenly, it becomes very slow and very uneventful,
>unless you're into PvP, which I am not.

I have no interest in PvP, either, and I soon found I that I also had no
interest in the instanced dungeons. Once those are taken away, one basically
have lots of solo fedex quests and such, and grinding for trade goods to sell
at the auction house.

<SNIP thoughts in WoW>

In contrast, what I found is that I grew bored long before level 60. First
it was as I neared level 20. I was told things got better at level 20, so I
persevered until the mid twenties. Nothing much changed, but I pushed on
into the thirties anyway. I took a break, and came back, and have now pushed
to level 36 with one character, but what I've found is that my desire to play
the game is sated by a one hour session every week or so, and the push to get
a mount hasn't spurred me on (it's like not being able to use a pair of faster
run boots until the end of nightmare difficulty in D2, which I find kind of
odd). So I agree with you - the addictive quality that D2 has simply isn't
there in WoW for me.

The scenery is nice though. :-)

>If/when I pick up playing D2 again, it'll be definitely only SP/HC, not
>realm play anymore. My need of "interaction" is satisfied for the months to
>come. ;)  I'll keep my WoW subscription, as I like the people I met there
>and it's a bit like a graphical chat room, but I miss the D2 action and the
>pace. I miss my 1.09 nova sorc. :)  1.10 Hell really still isn't my thing,
>since it's tedious and not fun.

That's a shame. I've been reading your posts for years and we've never had a
game together.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 2:42:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

royls@telus.net schrieb:
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 17:21:24 +0200, Hannes Brunner <bruhan12@web.de>
> wrote:
>
> Good going, I'll look forward to reading more on this char, though the
> German ironman rules have very little appeal for me (missing all those
> quests and areas? Fuggeddaboutit!).

For areas, it's only Tristram and the way down to Nihlathak. But I
agree, not completing quests is against the concept of the game.
Probably this will be my only Ironman played after these rules.

> My current ironman project is JaneBlonde, furyzon. She's 21 in the
> Arcane Sanc, and finding it hard to keep her pots and weapon dur up.
> She has 10 skill points saved up for Valk and LF. I don't give her a
> lot of hope of getting very far, especially once the LIs show up in
> late NM, but figured I should try an ironman zon just for
> completeness.

You already found javs with replenish quantity? I don't think one can
pick up enough javs to use LF most of the time.

---
Hannes
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 10:17:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 10:42:40 +0200, Hannes Brunner <bruhan12@web.de>
wrote:

>royls@telus.net schrieb:
>>
>> My current ironman project is JaneBlonde, furyzon. She's 21 in the
>> Arcane Sanc, and finding it hard to keep her pots and weapon dur up.
>> She has 10 skill points saved up for Valk and LF. I don't give her a
>> lot of hope of getting very far, especially once the LIs show up in
>> late NM, but figured I should try an ironman zon just for
>> completeness.
>
>You already found javs with replenish quantity? I don't think one can
>pick up enough javs to use LF most of the time.

You just use all your chips to reroll the highest-base-item blue javs
you find until they roll replenish, and then when the javs run out,
switch to Charged Strike with a spear while they replenish.

Late News: JaneBlonde could not put enough pots together to defeat
Duriel at 24 (she never got a replenish hp item, and had generally
lousy drops -- when she died, some of her gear was still plain
vanilla, and the rest quite mediocre: Berserker hat, Nagelring, rare
studded leather and chain gloves, the rest blues and whites). I guess
if she had taken some of her 10 saved skill points in CS, Plague Jav
or whatever, she'd have done better against the Bug. I still think a
furyzon with a maxed valk has ironman possibilities, and would like to
see how one fares once she hits 30. But getting to 30 might be a bit
of a task, as it means soloing Duriel and Diablo without the valk.

-- Roy L
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 1:59:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

royls@telus.net schrieb:
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 10:42:40 +0200, Hannes Brunner <bruhan12@web.de>
> wrote:
>
>>royls@telus.net schrieb:
>>
>>>My current ironman project is JaneBlonde, furyzon. She's 21 in the
>>>Arcane Sanc, and finding it hard to keep her pots and weapon dur up.
>>>She has 10 skill points saved up for Valk and LF. I don't give her a
>>>lot of hope of getting very far, especially once the LIs show up in
>>>late NM, but figured I should try an ironman zon just for
>>>completeness.
>>
>>You already found javs with replenish quantity? I don't think one can
>>pick up enough javs to use LF most of the time.
>
> You just use all your chips to reroll the highest-base-item blue javs
> you find until they roll replenish, and then when the javs run out,
> switch to Charged Strike with a spear while they replenish.
>
> Late News: JaneBlonde could not put enough pots together to defeat
> Duriel at 24 (she never got a replenish hp item, and had generally
> lousy drops -- when she died, some of her gear was still plain
> vanilla, and the rest quite mediocre: Berserker hat, Nagelring, rare
> studded leather and chain gloves, the rest blues and whites). I guess
> if she had taken some of her 10 saved skill points in CS, Plague Jav
> or whatever, she'd have done better against the Bug. I still think a
> furyzon with a maxed valk has ironman possibilities, and would like to
> see how one fares once she hits 30. But getting to 30 might be a bit
> of a task, as it means soloing Duriel and Diablo without the valk.

What about a pure Javazon? Poison/Plague Javelin and LF?

---
Hannes
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 11:03:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 09:59:59 +0200, Hannes Brunner <bruhan12@web.de>
wrote:

>royls@telus.net schrieb:
>> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 10:42:40 +0200, Hannes Brunner <bruhan12@web.de>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>royls@telus.net schrieb:
>>>
>>>>My current ironman project is JaneBlonde, furyzon. She's 21 in the
>>>>Arcane Sanc, and finding it hard to keep her pots and weapon dur up.
>>>>She has 10 skill points saved up for Valk and LF. I don't give her a
>>>>lot of hope of getting very far, especially once the LIs show up in
>>>>late NM, but figured I should try an ironman zon just for
>>>>completeness.
>>>
>>>You already found javs with replenish quantity? I don't think one can
>>>pick up enough javs to use LF most of the time.
>>
>> You just use all your chips to reroll the highest-base-item blue javs
>> you find until they roll replenish, and then when the javs run out,
>> switch to Charged Strike with a spear while they replenish.
>>
>> Late News: JaneBlonde could not put enough pots together to defeat
>> Duriel at 24 (she never got a replenish hp item, and had generally
>> lousy drops -- when she died, some of her gear was still plain
>> vanilla, and the rest quite mediocre: Berserker hat, Nagelring, rare
>> studded leather and chain gloves, the rest blues and whites). I guess
>> if she had taken some of her 10 saved skill points in CS, Plague Jav
>> or whatever, she'd have done better against the Bug. I still think a
>> furyzon with a maxed valk has ironman possibilities, and would like to
>> see how one fares once she hits 30. But getting to 30 might be a bit
>> of a task, as it means soloing Duriel and Diablo without the valk.
>
>What about a pure Javazon? Poison/Plague Javelin and LF?

The Valk is too valuable to give up, IMO, and obviously LF doesn't
kick in until 30, either. The question is, how to get past Dury at 23
and Diablo at 28 with no LF and no Valk? My guess would be to invest
skill points in either CS or PJ, but which one? It might depend on
gear: if you get some FRW boots, a level 5 PJ might do the job against
Dury, but if like JaneBlonde you never find any, pumping CS might be
better, as you will be using it for boss kills eventually anyway.

-- Roy L
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 11:24:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

Long ago, in the world without shrimp, royls@telus.net, supreme ruler of
bunnies, hopped and flopped and said:

>The Valk is too valuable to give up, IMO, and obviously LF doesn't
>kick in until 30, either. The question is, how to get past Dury at 23
>and Diablo at 28 with no LF and no Valk? My guess would be to invest
>skill points in either CS or PJ, but which one? It might depend on
>gear: if you get some FRW boots, a level 5 PJ might do the job against
>Dury, but if like JaneBlonde you never find any, pumping CS might be
>better, as you will be using it for boss kills eventually anyway.

If I was making an ironman javazon, I'd pump up Charged Strike first, hands
down.

I've been reading the ironman threads with interest, and once my assassin
takes the big dirt nap, I'll try the javazon next.
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 9:29:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 17:21:24 +0200, Hannes Brunner wrote:

> The last thread about Ironman (in agd) reminded me that I had started an
> Ironman project a few months ago. She was born after I had read about a
> German Ironman team which made it to Guardian. Their basic rule it that
> going back to town is only allowed for proceeding to the next act, which
> implies a lot of restrictions similar to 'classic' Ironman play. I was
> curious how far one can get following their rules in solo play.
>
> The decision which char to play was an easy one: it had to be a Dragon
> Talon Assassin. Why? Well, see below ...

Hi, I haven't been playing Diablo or reading the groups lately, and
just came across this interesting write up.


> I was the proud owner of a flawless skull at this early stage of the
> game! With the next gem shrine, I will have mana and life leech!
>
> Why putting a PSkull in a weapon that will break anyway you might ask
> (Ironman play does not allow repairs). The not so well known answer: the
> left hand claw in dual claw mode doesn't lose any durability. The plan
> is to have a claw with self repair in the right hand and a claw socketed
> with PSkulls in the left hand. Weapon damage doesn't matter (DT gets the
> damage from the boots) so this plan can come true easily.

But I've read and always understood that leech and other attack
based effects don't transfer from the off-hand claw for kicks?
Have you confirmed that this really works?
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 1:35:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

Last2Know schrieb:
>>Why putting a PSkull in a weapon that will break anyway you might ask
>>(Ironman play does not allow repairs). The not so well known answer: the
>>left hand claw in dual claw mode doesn't lose any durability. The plan
>>is to have a claw with self repair in the right hand and a claw socketed
>>with PSkulls in the left hand. Weapon damage doesn't matter (DT gets the
>>damage from the boots) so this plan can come true easily.
>
> But I've read and always understood that leech and other attack
> based effects don't transfer from the off-hand claw for kicks?
> Have you confirmed that this really works?

Yes you are right. I needed to complete the trip through normal first
until I realized that my plan isn't working. I had the claw with the
PSkull in the off-hand claw all the time and it was completely useless
*g*. All the mana leech I monitored was caused by the 4% ml amulett.

---
Hannes
!