VERIZON NYC MARKET SERVICE

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
June 25, 2004 8:57:37 AM

Could it be that with Verizon taking on so many customers their
service is no longer up to par. When I joined Verizon from Sprint they
had close to 27 million customers. To date they have close to 40
million. I am having more dropped calls, and shotty service when in a
call. And I shoule mention this is all happening in my home market of
NYC. (not Roaming). This is happening with more frequency. Am I the
only one noticing the drop in service recently. I want to stick with
Verizon but if they can't handle all the new cusotmers coming in then
they are going to conitnue to have service issues.

Any thoughts? opinions? Thanks in advance
June 25, 2004 4:24:12 PM

In article <87e0800a.0406250357.6e00688f@posting.google.com>, EENYC1
@AOL.COM says...
> Could it be that with Verizon taking on so many customers their
> service is no longer up to par. When I joined Verizon from Sprint they
> had close to 27 million customers. To date they have close to 40
> million. I am having more dropped calls, and shotty service when in a
> call. And I shoule mention this is all happening in my home market of
> NYC. (not Roaming). This is happening with more frequency. Am I the
> only one noticing the drop in service recently. I want to stick with
> Verizon but if they can't handle all the new cusotmers coming in then
> they are going to conitnue to have service issues.
>
> Any thoughts? opinions? Thanks in advance

Absolutely a major problem.

I've been with them since 1998 and I use similar locations most of the
time. There has been a decrease in service quality both in terms of
dropped calls and in terms of call quality.

My biggest difficulties are when I'm facing the Hudson River and picking
up the major cell sites in NJ even though I'm in NY.

But overall service has deteriorated to some degree.

I think the best thing we can do is flood technical support (not
customer support), with a demand that trouble tickets be opened wherever
there is a consistently bad area. You have to be precise about which
area you're talking about and they can check their records and see which
cell sites are responding poorly based upon your calls. In other words,
if you can tell them I was on such and such a street at such and such a
time and I dropped 3 calls in a row....they can check their records to
see which cell site you were accessing during those three dropped calls.

Ask whoever you know to open trouble tickets. Put flyers up in the
neighborhood where the difficulty is occurring, etc.

Louise
Anonymous
June 25, 2004 6:33:16 PM

> I am having more dropped calls, and shotty service when in a call.

Yesterday I had a dropped call when I had five bars of signal strength! (In
Queens)
reply address bot resistant and human safe
June 25, 2004 7:29:23 PM

"FELIX" <EENYC1@AOL.COM> wrote in message
> Could it be that with Verizon taking on so many customers
their
> service is no longer up to par. When I joined Verizon from
Sprint they
> had close to 27 million customers. To date they have close
to 40
> million. I am having more dropped calls, and shotty
service when in a
> call. And I shoule mention this is all happening in my
home market of
> NYC. (not Roaming). This is happening with more frequency.
Am I the
> only one noticing the drop in service recently. I want to
stick with
> Verizon but if they can't handle all the new cusotmers
coming in then
> they are going to conitnue to have service issues.
>
> Any thoughts? opinions? Thanks in advance

I been wondering about how much band width the new phones
with all the bells and whistles will be eating up. I haven't
had any interest in the new features - I just want to send
and receive phone calls - so I haven't looked into how the
technology has changed.

Web access, sending data and photos plus the increase in
text messaging has to be using a lot more system resources.

The marketoids seem to have taken many lessons from the PC
world: "Just sell it - maybe it will get fixed later"!
Cellular users have been lured into becoming unpaid Beta
testers!
--
Chas. verktyg@aol.spamski.com (Drop spamski to E-mail
me)

* * Chas wrote:
> I been wondering about how much band width the new phones
> with all the bells and whistles will be eating up. I haven't
> had any interest in the new features - I just want to send
> and receive phone calls - so I haven't looked into how the
> technology has changed.

The voice stuff uses the same bandwidth.

In CDMA data traffic has a lower priority than voice and will
back off so there won't be much of an effect.

> The marketoids seem to have taken many lessons from the PC
> world: "Just sell it - maybe it will get fixed later"!
> Cellular users have been lured into becoming unpaid Beta
> testers!

The big problem is that deploying and maintaining a cellular
infrastructure is VERY expensive. You could try to build one
and then hope to get customers to pay for it, or get loads of
customers and hope to build what they need. All the companies
do something in the middle these days.

But when significant events happen like the number portability
it can lead to changes that are outside what was expected. I
don't think Verizon had planned on getting as many customers
as they did.

Then there are the issues in putting up new towers. It seems
like everyone wants a cell phone, but enough people object when
the company tries to put in towers. (Personally I don't see why
people whine so much about it. Not wanting a rubbish dump near
you I can understand, but a cell tower is not a big deal.)

On the phone side, most of the phone companies behave like they
are hardware companies. The think they haven't realised yet
is that they are actually software companies that also happen
to supply hardware with their software. One day they may get
it.

Roger
Anonymous
June 25, 2004 8:26:28 PM

In article <87e0800a.0406250357.6e00688f@posting.google.com>, EENYC1@AOL.COM
says...
>Could it be that with Verizon taking on so many customers their
>service is no longer up to par. When I joined Verizon from Sprint they
>had close to 27 million customers. To date they have close to 40
>million. I am having more dropped calls, and shotty service when in a
>call. And I shoule mention this is all happening in my home market of
>NYC. (not Roaming). This is happening with more frequency. Am I the
>only one noticing the drop in service recently. I want to stick with
>Verizon but if they can't handle all the new cusotmers coming in then
>they are going to conitnue to have service issues.
>Any thoughts? opinions? Thanks in advance

I too switched from Sprint to Verizon. I don't use my phone much, but for me
Verizon service in NYC is superior to Sprint. For me the Sprint service was so
bad that anything had to be better. Outside of NYC, I found Sprint service to
be quite good. I would have at least a couple of bars of signal strength when
friends with other services would have none. So far I have no regrets about
switching service.
--------------
Alex
Anonymous
June 25, 2004 10:23:53 PM

In article <MIWCc.10$4h7.56705@twister.nyc.rr.com>,
SmartyPants <schmartypantz@(remove_this)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I am having more dropped calls, and shotty service when in a call.
>
>Yesterday I had a dropped call when I had five bars of signal strength! (In
>Queens)

This is the sort of thing which would be nice to have on a FAQ. Having
a bunch of "bars" is no indication of how well your phone can hold a
call. If too many people are active in your cell, or if you are picking
up too many sites, your call will drop due to interference. The "signal
strength" in a party may be high, but you may not be able to carry on
a conversation with someone.
June 26, 2004 1:27:58 AM

In article <MIWCc.10$4h7.56705@twister.nyc.rr.com>, "SmartyPants"
<schmartypantz@(remove_this)yahoo.com> says...
> > I am having more dropped calls, and shotty service when in a call.
>
> Yesterday I had a dropped call when I had five bars of signal strength! (In
> Queens)
> reply address bot resistant and human safe

That has become a common occurrence for me. The drops almost don't seem
related to signal strength and I gather that would make sense if you're
looking at congested cell sites.

Louise
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 1:52:19 AM

In article <boduq1-o4i.ln1@home.rogerbinns.com>,
Roger Binns <rogerb@rogerbinns.com> wrote:
>Then there are the issues in putting up new towers. It seems
>like everyone wants a cell phone, but enough people object when
>the company tries to put in towers. (Personally I don't see why
>people whine so much about it. Not wanting a rubbish dump near
>you I can understand, but a cell tower is not a big deal.)

Oh, but we don't want all that radiation from a cell tower. We will
all die from cancer after we have children with two heads. Besides,
they would ruin the ambience of the neighborhood.

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 1:52:20 AM

CharlesH wrote:
> Oh, but we don't want all that radiation from a cell tower. We will
> all die from cancer after we have children with two heads. Besides,
> they would ruin the ambience of the neighborhood.
>
> :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

But the same people who are concerned about the radiation sit in
front of computers and TV screens, use electronic appliances,
fly and often have a cell phone. I guess it is just the usual
problem that most people have zero understanding of risks and
probabilities.

I had a friend who lives in Manhatten that actually has some or
all of a cell tower in her apartment (I never did ask exactly
how much - it just occupies part of her apartment). The cell
company pays her handsomely to rent the space.

Roger
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 2:53:23 AM

Welcome to my world! Hahaha, read the last 20 posts from me!

"FELIX" <EENYC1@AOL.COM> wrote in message
> Could it be that with Verizon taking on so many customers their
> service is no longer up to par. When I joined Verizon from Sprint they
> had close to 27 million customers. To date they have close to 40
> million. I am having more dropped calls, and shotty service when in a
> call. And I shoule mention this is all happening in my home market of
> NYC. (not Roaming). This is happening with more frequency. Am I the
> only one noticing the drop in service recently. I want to stick with
> Verizon but if they can't handle all the new cusotmers coming in then
> they are going to conitnue to have service issues.
>
> Any thoughts? opinions? Thanks in advance
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 4:01:46 AM

Just a small but very significant correction. "The Corporation" was
not made by Michael Moore (whatever you think of him and his physical
shape).

http://www.thecorporation.tv/

> Ahhhh. a Michael (big FAT liar) Moore fan.
> Sure explains quite a bit....

That is an ad-hominem fallacy:

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/ad-hominem.htm...

> Oh, do you have any idea what a shareholder / corporation actually is?
> There are quite a few Verizon shareholders, not "a few"....

Technically there are only two shareholders in Verizon Wireless -
Verizon and Vodaphone. Verizon itself has a wide diversity of
shareholders, and none with a major holding:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/mh?s=VZ

Customer service in most companies is run as a "loss" center
and the company does try to minimize the expenses. They
face a wide variety of customers calling in ranging from
the complete idiots through to people who know what they
are doing. Unfortunately it is very difficult to distinguish
the two. In general the solution used is to have levels
of service to try and filter things, as well as various
forms of scripting to remove any form of discretion from
the process.

This AskTog column discusses it very well:

http://www.asktog.com/columns/053CallCenters.html

Roger
June 26, 2004 5:33:13 AM

In article <hhmuq1-4ek.ln1@home.rogerbinns.com>, rogerb@rogerbinns.com
says...
> CharlesH wrote:
> > Oh, but we don't want all that radiation from a cell tower. We will
> > all die from cancer after we have children with two heads. Besides,
> > they would ruin the ambience of the neighborhood.
> >
> > :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
>
> But the same people who are concerned about the radiation sit in
> front of computers and TV screens, use electronic appliances,
> fly and often have a cell phone. I guess it is just the usual
> problem that most people have zero understanding of risks and
> probabilities.
>
> I had a friend who lives in Manhatten that actually has some or
> all of a cell tower in her apartment (I never did ask exactly
> how much - it just occupies part of her apartment). The cell
> company pays her handsomely to rent the space.
>
> Roger

WOW - how big are they actually?

How did she get the owner/landlord/co-op board etc. to let her do this?
-
Certainly would solve the problem :-)

Louise
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 5:33:14 AM

Louise wrote:
> WOW - how big are they actually?

I don't believe the antenna is very big, but it requires some
other equipment to hook it into the phone network, as well
as batteries as power backup and that sort of thing.

> How did she get the owner/landlord/co-op board etc. to let her do this?

She owned the place. I don't know more details than that.

Roger
June 26, 2004 12:54:08 PM

Roger Binns wrote:
>>Ahhhh. a Michael (big FAT liar) Moore fan.
>>Sure explains quite a bit....
>

> That is an ad-hominem fallacy:

What the hell is an ad=hominem fallacy?

The suggestion that Moore is both fat and a liar is
an objective observation.
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 2:19:21 AM

Wait, you just said the big problem deploying and maintaining a cellular
network is VERY expensive? Well, since Verizon doesn't give any benefits or
out of the normal services like other cellular companies do, I'm sure this
company has plenty of money to take care of it's technical departments. And
since Verizon is terribly greeedy, they have plenty of cash on hand to do
with what they please...even send their fraudulent executives on very
expensive vacations.

"Roger Binns" <rogerb@rogerbinns.com> wrote in message
> * * Chas wrote:
> > I been wondering about how much band width the new phones
> > with all the bells and whistles will be eating up. I haven't
> > had any interest in the new features - I just want to send
> > and receive phone calls - so I haven't looked into how the
> > technology has changed.
>
> The voice stuff uses the same bandwidth.
>
> In CDMA data traffic has a lower priority than voice and will
> back off so there won't be much of an effect.
>
> > The marketoids seem to have taken many lessons from the PC
> > world: "Just sell it - maybe it will get fixed later"!
> > Cellular users have been lured into becoming unpaid Beta
> > testers!
>
> The big problem is that deploying and maintaining a cellular
> infrastructure is VERY expensive. You could try to build one
> and then hope to get customers to pay for it, or get loads of
> customers and hope to build what they need. All the companies
> do something in the middle these days.
>
> But when significant events happen like the number portability
> it can lead to changes that are outside what was expected. I
> don't think Verizon had planned on getting as many customers
> as they did.
>
> Then there are the issues in putting up new towers. It seems
> like everyone wants a cell phone, but enough people object when
> the company tries to put in towers. (Personally I don't see why
> people whine so much about it. Not wanting a rubbish dump near
> you I can understand, but a cell tower is not a big deal.)
>
> On the phone side, most of the phone companies behave like they
> are hardware companies. The think they haven't realised yet
> is that they are actually software companies that also happen
> to supply hardware with their software. One day they may get
> it.
>
> Roger

Anonymous
June 28, 2004 2:19:22 AM

Killer Madness wrote:
> Wait, you just said the big problem deploying and maintaining a cellular
> network is VERY expensive? Well, since Verizon doesn't give any benefits or
> out of the normal services like other cellular companies do, I'm sure this
> company has plenty of money

Actually they have the lowest average revenue per user. The best I can
figure it, VZW's plans are more expensive so people are very careful about
going over minutes or using any additional services. Customers of the other
carriers must be doing something to end up spending more on average, such as
being less wary about going over minutes and using other services.

> to take care of it's technical departments. And
> since Verizon is terribly greeedy, they have plenty of cash on hand to do
> with what they please...even send their fraudulent executives on very
> expensive vacations.

Well, fraudulent executives get outed/shamed/put on trial/jailed. If you
are aware of fraudulent activity I am sure many journalists as well as
law enforcement would be interested to hear about it.

BTW Nextel is the only carrier that makes a profit IIRC so the other
carriers do not have spare cash. In fact they have to figure out
how to increase prices and decrease spending in order to stem the
losses.

Roger
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 1:43:24 PM

Roger Binns wrote:
> Killer Madness wrote:
>> Wait, you just said the big problem deploying and maintaining a
>> cellular network is VERY expensive? Well, since Verizon doesn't give
>> any benefits or out of the normal services like other cellular
>> companies do, I'm sure this company has plenty of money
>
> Actually they have the lowest average revenue per user. The best I
> can figure it, VZW's plans are more expensive so people are very
> careful about going over minutes or using any additional services.
> Customers of the other carriers must be doing something to end up
> spending more on average, such as being less wary about going over
> minutes and using other services.
>
>> to take care of it's technical departments. And
>> since Verizon is terribly greeedy, they have plenty of cash on hand
>> to do with what they please...even send their fraudulent executives
>> on very expensive vacations.
>
> Well, fraudulent executives get outed/shamed/put on trial/jailed. If
> you are aware of fraudulent activity I am sure many journalists as
> well as
> law enforcement would be interested to hear about it.
>
> BTW Nextel is the only carrier that makes a profit IIRC so the other
> carriers do not have spare cash. In fact they have to figure out
> how to increase prices and decrease spending in order to stem the
> losses.

Please Roger, can you be a bit more emotional? and not so
factual? I think Killer may be upset about something he hasn't
shared with us and has an axe to grind. Maybe simply looking
for attention/recognition but he said that wasn't the case.

1) He listed all those things that make his life idilic and are the reason
he doesn't really care what people here say about him or his posts
(suddenly prolific) or if they even read them.

2) First post was about the lousy VZW equipment selection and
how they are using obsolete technology that will have to be scraped
soon to bring it up to date. Then he said that he switched to AT&T
after years with VZW. I guess he willingly paid for lousy VZW service
and equipment for years or was extorted into it.

3) Surely he is only posting to point out that there are better
alternatives to VZW just in case this newsgroup is the single
source of information in your life.

4) Did you know he has a job with the cable company?

-Quick
!