windows 95

I got xp windows update.
I have a laptop with windows 95.
Whats the easiest and less costly way to update to xp?
6 answers Last reply
More about windows

    In news:04d101c5442f$906f4490$a501280a@phx.gbl,
    dave r <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > I got xp windows update.
    > I have a laptop with windows 95.
    > Whats the easiest and less costly way to update to xp?

    First of all note that you can not do an upgrade to WIndows XP
    over the top of WIndows 95. However you *can* use your Windows 95
    installation CD, if you have one, as proof of a previous
    qualifying version when you do a clean installation with your XP
    Upgrade CD.

    But if your laptop is a Windows 95-era machine, you may be in
    store for a host of problems doing this. Needed Windows XP
    drivers for your laptop may be hard to find, or even completely
    unavailable. Even if you get it working, running Windows XP on
    such an old machine is highly unlikely to provide perfromance
    you'd be happy with.

    So you're probably much better off either staying with Windows 95
    on this machine, or replacing it with a more modern laptop.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Get a new computer. Seriously, if your computer came with Windows 95 on it,
    the computer is woefully inadequate for Windows XP.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "dave r" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I got xp windows update.
    > I have a laptop with windows 95.
    > Whats the easiest and less costly way to update to xp?

    Richard is absolutely right. Besides, there's no upgrade path to XP from
    Windows 95.

    Modem Ani

    > Get a new computer. Seriously, if your computer came with Windows 95 on
    it,
    > the computer is woefully inadequate for Windows XP.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    >
    > If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    >

    > "dave r" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I got xp windows update.
    > > I have a laptop with windows 95.
    > > Whats the easiest and less costly way to update to xp?

    "dave r" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I got xp windows update.
    >I have a laptop with windows 95.
    >Whats the easiest and less costly way to update to xp?

    You cannot upgrade your installed Windows 95 to Windows XP.

    However, assuming that your hardware is fully adequate for Windows XP
    (the published requirements are overly optimistic, to put it mildly)
    the following steps will get you up and running with Windows XP.

    Notes:
    A. You will have to reinstall all of your application programs after
    Windows XP is installed.
    B. You will need to have your original Windows 95 installation CD
    available.

    Step 1 - Use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard on the Windows XP
    Upgrade CD to save your user data files and program configuration
    settings to another hard drive partition, a network drive, or a
    removable backup device (CDRW drive, tape, etc.) See MVP Gary
    Woodruff's article at http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

    Step 2 - Format the hard drive (C: partition if has more than one
    partition on it) or better yet delete the partition entirely with
    FDISK.

    Step 3 - Boot the computer with the Windows XP Upgade CD and install
    Windows XP. If you deleted the partition in step 2 then you can now
    create a new NTFS partition for installing Windows XP. If you just
    reforamtted C: then you can install Windows XP there and the partition
    will be FAT32. NTFS is better than FAT32 for many reasons, but the
    differences are not critical or essential in any way.

    Step 4 - During the Windows XP install process you will be asked to
    briefly insert your disk from the previous version of Windows, which
    in your case will be the Windows 95 install CD.

    Step 6 - When Windows XP is installed then you can reinstall your
    application programs from the original CDs

    Step 6 - Run the FASTW from within Windows XP to import the saved data
    files and configuration settings from Step 1.

    Good luck

    Step 2.
    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    In your case, these 2 "easiest" and "less costly" would be "oxymoron's".
    There will be an "easiest" way, go online to Dell or HP or drive to one of
    your favorite electronics stores, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc and pick out
    and buy a Laptop with XP (Home, Pro or Media Edition) that your budget will
    allow. The "less costly" - well depends on what you consider costly, money
    or sanity, but money wise, follow Ron or Ken's instructions and off you go.
    For the sanity, well go back to "easiest" method depicted above.

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

    http://www.google.com
    Google is your "Friend"

    "dave r" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I got xp windows update.
    > I have a laptop with windows 95.
    > Whats the easiest and less costly way to update to xp?

    Post your laptop specs here please.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "dave r" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I got xp windows update.
    > I have a laptop with windows 95.
    > Whats the easiest and less costly way to update to xp?

Windows XP Windows Update Microsoft Windows 95