recently upgraded to XP home service pk 2, i have marked my files shared with
my other computer yet I can't access them from the other computer. I looked
to see if the simple sharing option in tools/view was there and it's not
there.

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:37:02 -0700, myownname
<myownname@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>recently upgraded to XP home service pk 2, i have marked my files shared with
>my other computer yet I can't access them from the other computer. I looked
>to see if the simple sharing option in tools/view was there and it's not
>there.

Just guessing here.. Probably not the problem but good info anyway:

If the other computer is not a Windows XP computer, like it is a Windows
98 or 98 SE computer, you need to find on your XP "boss of the network"
computer, the place where it makes a file for you (cannot remember how,
something to do with setting up a network, probably in control
panel\networks...) - this file fits on as floppy if you have one on each
(otherwise use a CD) - and install it on the other machine. This file
tells the old computer about the name of your network and stuff..

...D.

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:37:02 -0700, myownname wrote:

> recently upgraded to XP home service pk 2, i have marked my files shared with
> my other computer yet I can't access them from the other computer. I looked
> to see if the simple sharing option in tools/view was there and it's not
> there.

XP Home uses only simple file sharing so there is no option to turn it off
in Tools> Folder Options> View.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Both computers are using the same OS, XP, and the simple file share option is
not on the list on either computer. I can access the other computer from my
network but the other computer can't access my files. What I am trying to
find is a way around this, even creating a shortcut (my files are marked
shared) on the other desktop denies access

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:37:02 -0700, myownname wrote:
>
> > recently upgraded to XP home service pk 2, i have marked my files shared with
> > my other computer yet I can't access them from the other computer. I looked
> > to see if the simple sharing option in tools/view was there and it's not
> > there.
>
> XP Home uses only simple file sharing so there is no option to turn it off
> in Tools> Folder Options> View.
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Are the files in the "Shared Documents" folder on the XP machine?
MH
>recently upgraded to XP home service pk 2, i have marked my files shared with
>my other computer yet I can't access them from the other computer. I looked
>to see if the simple sharing option in tools/view was there and it's not
>there.

Some files are but not the ones we had shared through the network previously
with WINME and I can access the other computer but they can't access me and
we are both using XP

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 16:28:42 -0500, Sharon F wrote:

> XP Home uses only simple file sharing so there is no option to turn it off
> in Tools> Folder Options> View.

When I first read your post I thought you were updating XP to SP2. Shares
for the most part would be preserved with possible one or two that needed
to be re-established. On second reading and from things you've said in
subsequent posts, it looks like you may have updated a different operating
system to XP SP2?

If you upgraded from another Windows version, is NTFS or FAT32 being used?
On both machines? NTFS is needed to assign shares and permissions.

The following link goes to an excellent article on setting up shares with
XP. There is a link at the end of the introduction for performing this task
using Simple File Sharing (intro is about 3 paragraphs long).

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/whole.htm

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Hi Sharon, thank you for your reply, FAT32 is what we both have, at least I
have some type of answer, dh doesn't want to change that to NFTS.