HP Proliant DL380 G3 slow shutdown

Hi,

I've a Proliant DL380 G3 rackmounted server running on dual Xeon processor,
2GB RAM and 4x36GB HD configured in RAID 5 and running Win Server 2003. My
problem is, whenever I tried to shutdown the system, it takes ages ..
exceeding 15 minutes each time. The system was setup by HP engineer during
the installation and I don't think it was that slow. I know that RAID 5
will slow down the shutdown process, but when it exceeds 15 minutes ..
there should be something wrong with it .. BTW, the server has Trend Micro
Server Protect running if that a matter. TIA for any advice given.

On the seventh day, WiraOne wrote...

> Hi,
>
> I've a Proliant DL380 G3 rackmounted server running on dual Xeon processor,
> 2GB RAM and 4x36GB HD configured in RAID 5 and running Win Server 2003. My
> problem is, whenever I tried to shutdown the system, it takes ages ..
> exceeding 15 minutes each time. The system was setup by HP engineer during
> the installation and I don't think it was that slow. I know that RAID 5
> will slow down the shutdown process, but when it exceeds 15 minutes ..
> there should be something wrong with it .. BTW, the server has Trend Micro
> Server Protect running if that a matter. TIA for any advice given.

Do you have Exchange Server 2003 (its beta version) running by any chance?
That may be the root cause of your problem. Upgrading to the full retail
version will cure these symptoms.

If not, there are some registry hacks available to decrease the timeout for
hanging services to shutdown. Just do a google search.

Spock, your're going to love it here. They all talk just the way
you do. - Harry Mudd, "Star Trek, (I, Mudd)"

Christian Dürrhauer <cduerr@geog.fu-berlin.de> wrote in message news:<1dt057gkvgqnx.dlg@73137.user.dfncis.de>...
> On the seventh day, WiraOne wrote...
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've a Proliant DL380 G3 rackmounted server running on dual Xeon processor,
> > 2GB RAM and 4x36GB HD configured in RAID 5 and running Win Server 2003. My
> > problem is, whenever I tried to shutdown the system, it takes ages ..
> > exceeding 15 minutes each time. The system was setup by HP engineer during
> > the installation and I don't think it was that slow. I know that RAID 5
> > will slow down the shutdown process, but when it exceeds 15 minutes ..
> > there should be something wrong with it .. BTW, the server has Trend Micro
> > Server Protect running if that a matter. TIA for any advice given.
>
> Do you have Exchange Server 2003 (its beta version) running by any chance?
> That may be the root cause of your problem. Upgrading to the full retail
> version will cure these symptoms.
>
> If not, there are some registry hacks available to decrease the timeout for
> hanging services to shutdown. Just do a google search.

Thank you for your reply. Nope, for now .. it is just aplain Win
Server 2003 with Server Protect running. I'll check for those registry
hacks and see if that may help. BTW, I'm getting black empty screen
after the last Win shutdown prompt .. and this is where it took so
long .. I was told by the HP engineer that the RAID 5 is syncing and
that why it took so long .. but I'm not convinced enough since RAID 5
will give may be extra 5-10% slowness at most compared to the normal
operation.

On 5 Sep 2004 16:12:28 -0700, wiraone wrote:

>Christian D rrhauer <cduerr@geog.fu-berlin.de> wrote in message news:<1dt057gkvgqnx.dlg@73137.user.dfncis.de>...
>> On the seventh day, WiraOne wrote...
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I've a Proliant DL380 G3 rackmounted server running on dual Xeon processor,
>> > 2GB RAM and 4x36GB HD configured in RAID 5 and running Win Server 2003. My
>> > problem is, whenever I tried to shutdown the system, it takes ages ..
>> > exceeding 15 minutes each time. The system was setup by HP engineer during
>> > the installation and I don't think it was that slow. I know that RAID 5
>> > will slow down the shutdown process, but when it exceeds 15 minutes ..
>> > there should be something wrong with it .. BTW, the server has Trend Micro
>> > Server Protect running if that a matter. TIA for any advice given.
>>
>> Do you have Exchange Server 2003 (its beta version) running by any chance?
>> That may be the root cause of your problem. Upgrading to the full retail
>> version will cure these symptoms.
>>
>> If not, there are some registry hacks available to decrease the timeout for
>> hanging services to shutdown. Just do a google search.
>
>Thank you for your reply. Nope, for now .. it is just aplain Win
>Server 2003 with Server Protect running. I'll check for those registry
>hacks and see if that may help. BTW, I'm getting black empty screen
>after the last Win shutdown prompt .. and this is where it took so
>long .. I was told by the HP engineer that the RAID 5 is syncing and
>that why it took so long .. but I'm not convinced enough since RAID 5
>will give may be extra 5-10% slowness at most compared to the normal
>operation.

Perhaps one of your hard drives is getting ready to fail. Do you have an
alarm
for any of them in Insight Manager? Do you get an error message when you
power
the server on?

Defective hard drives can cause erratic timeout problems. These only show
when the RAID controller is trying to access some bad blocks.

Aidan Grey