Dialup and user switching disconnects

Hi all,

I gave my 2 nieces (who live far away from me) a new computer last
weekend and have received an email from them saying that they are
getting disconnected when they try to switch users while connected to
the internet via dialup.

I've spent enough time searching for info on this that I now have a
headache so am resorting to your help. Both are set up with
Administrator accounts on XP Home SP2

I came across Mark Salloway's site which tells of a registry entry to create
http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/dialup.php

but I do NOT want these girls (16 and 12) delving into the registry and
I don't know that I am confident enough to make a registry entry myself
and I won't see them for months anyway.

I thought that internet connections were meant to remain open with user
switching but obviously I got that wrong.

Can anyone help me with a reasonably safe solution to this problem?
Thanks in advance
miskairal

You may want to ask someone you trust to create the Registry key, you attach
it to an email, have the girls click | Install | Merge into the Registry

"miskairal" <mehiding@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I gave my 2 nieces (who live far away from me) a new computer last weekend
> and have received an email from them saying that they are getting
> disconnected when they try to switch users while connected to the internet
> via dialup.
>
> I've spent enough time searching for info on this that I now have a
> headache so am resorting to your help. Both are set up with Administrator
> accounts on XP Home SP2
>
> I came across Mark Salloway's site which tells of a registry entry to
> create
> http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/dialup.php
>
> but I do NOT want these girls (16 and 12) delving into the registry and I
> don't know that I am confident enough to make a registry entry myself and
> I won't see them for months anyway.
>
> I thought that internet connections were meant to remain open with user
> switching but obviously I got that wrong.
>
> Can anyone help me with a reasonably safe solution to this problem?
> Thanks in advance
> miskairal

Behavior of RAS Connections With the Fast User Switching Feature:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=289669

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

Computer Teachers wrote:
> You may want to ask someone you trust to create the Registry key, you attach
> it to an email, have the girls click | Install | Merge into the Registry

Thatnks but I don't know anyone with any computer knowledge. I found an
exe file at kellys korner on this page
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_modem.htm
down a way under "Fast User Switching and Internet Connection"
It's called KeepRAS.exe
Would this do what you suggested do you know?

> "miskairal" <mehiding@invalid.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I gave my 2 nieces (who live far away from me) a new computer last weekend
>>and have received an email from them saying that they are getting
>>disconnected when they try to switch users while connected to the internet
>>via dialup.
>>
>>I've spent enough time searching for info on this that I now have a
>>headache so am resorting to your help. Both are set up with Administrator
>>accounts on XP Home SP2
>>
>>I came across Mark Salloway's site which tells of a registry entry to
>>create
>>http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/dialup.php
>>
>>but I do NOT want these girls (16 and 12) delving into the registry and I
>>don't know that I am confident enough to make a registry entry myself and
>>I won't see them for months anyway.
>>
>>I thought that internet connections were meant to remain open with user
>>switching but obviously I got that wrong.
>>
>>Can anyone help me with a reasonably safe solution to this problem?
>>Thanks in advance
>>miskairal

Have them download and run KeepRAS.exe one time, from Kellys Korner. That should
make the changes needed to keep them connected as long as they are using Fast User
Switching.

Perhaps this page will help a bit:
http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=713181
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
> Behavior of RAS Connections With the Fast User Switching Feature:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=289669

Thankyou Ramesh but the dialup is set to Save password for anyone. On
one occasion only they got the prompt and were able to keep the
connection open if I understand them correctly. The article you have
kindly directed me to says that the initiator will be prompted to stay
connected when switching, however, it doesn't explain what happens after
the first instance ie. what happens when the 2nd person is finished and
the 1st logs back in.

This page
tells you how to keep a connection open when logging off. Does this mean
when logging off to switch users or proper logging off? They are
switching users by going to Start, Log Off, Switch User.

glee wrote:
> Have them download and run KeepRAS.exe one time, from Kellys Korner. That should
> make the changes needed to keep them connected as long as they are using Fast User
> Switching.
>
> Perhaps this page will help a bit:
> http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=713181

OK and thankyou very much for your help.

>> Does this mean when logging off to switch users or proper logging off?

I guess it should apply in both cases.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
>> Behavior of RAS Connections With the Fast User Switching Feature:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=289669
>>

> Thankyou Ramesh but the dialup is set to Save password for anyone. On one
> occasion only they got the prompt and were able to keep the connection
> open if I understand them correctly. The article you have kindly directed
> me to says that the initiator will be prompted to stay connected when
> switching, however, it doesn't explain what happens after the first
> instance ie. what happens when the 2nd person is finished and the 1st logs
> back in.
>
> This page
> tells you how to keep a connection open when logging off. Does this mean
> when logging off to switch users or proper logging off? They are switching
> users by going to Start, Log Off, Switch User.

I have been tearing my hair out about this same problem. We have been running
XP for 3 years now and have successfully shared a dialup internet connection
among 4 users .
A fortnight ago I installed a new PC with XP SP2 and am constantly
disconnected when logging off - even though the prompt appears "Do you wish
to close the connection"and I reply "NO". The only way to keep the connection
is to switch user, but this is not always desired and we are so used to it
working from the old system we always forget.
It seems to me that this is a bug with SP2. Can anyone advise about this?