galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:3epb61tqnin38qjrfc2brg89qi5q32so6k@4ax.com,
sf <sf@gEEmail.com> had this to say:

> Newish to XP... I used the MVP HOSTS file manager on my old Win98
> computer and thought it was great.
> http://www.mvps.org/PracticallyNerded/SoftMain.htm
> Is this an appropriate app to install on XP too? I use Firefox, but
> the rest of the family uses IE.
>
> TIA

Sure but keep in mind that the hosts file is actually a very personal thing
and there might be sites in there that are blocked that you want to go to or
there might be sites that you think should be added. Perhaps using that and
this in tandem will give you better results?

Ray Marron's Hostess Page:
http://accs-net.com/hostess/

Galen

sf

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 03:36:12 -0400, Galen wrote:

> In news:3epb61tqnin38qjrfc2brg89qi5q32so6k@4ax.com,
> sf <sf@gEEmail.com> had this to say:

> > Newish to XP... I used the MVP HOSTS file manager on my old Win98
> > computer and thought it was great.
> > http://www.mvps.org/PracticallyNerded/SoftMain.htm
> > Is this an appropriate app to install on XP too? I use Firefox, but
> > the rest of the family uses IE.
> >
> > TIA
>
> Sure but keep in mind that the hosts file is actually a very personal thing
> and there might be sites in there that are blocked that you want to go to or
> there might be sites that you think should be added. Perhaps using that and
> this in tandem will give you better results?
>
> Ray Marron's Hostess Page:
> http://accs-net.com/hostess/

Thanks Galen.... I have another question, but you have to speak
s l o w l y to me so I can understand the concept.
;)

What are the differences (for the user) between the two programs and
why would http://accs-net.com/hosts be a better choice with XP Pro?

TIA

An often updated HOSTS file here...
Also good info.

Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:3epb61tqnin38qjrfc2brg89qi5q32so6k@4ax.com,
sf <sf@gEEmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> Newish to XP... I used the MVP HOSTS file manager on my old Win98
> computer and thought it was great.
> http://www.mvps.org/PracticallyNerded/SoftMain.htm
> Is this an appropriate app to install on XP too? I use Firefox, but
> the rest of the family uses IE.
>
> TIA

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:15vd61lkjefnpk7jugqhlf3ababir0ao2j@4ax.com,
sf <sf@gEEmail.com> had this to say:

> Thanks Galen.... I have another question, but you have to speak
> s l o w l y to me so I can understand the concept.
> ;)
>
> What are the differences (for the user) between the two programs and
> why would http://accs-net.com/hosts be a better choice with XP Pro?
>
> TIA

Hey SF, I told you in the 98 group I'd look for you over here. <g> It's a
better choice for ALL OSes because it not only allows you to use the MVP
list BUT to configure it to make it 'your own' as you find sites you want to
add, delete, or turn it off or even manage it. The application's small,
easy, and free. Why is it better? Because it allows you a greater degree of
control and the hosts file is a very personal thing. Some of the sites on
said list you may never visit at all and yet there are some that you visit
that you'd certainly not want to visit again and this enables you to add
them quickly, merge other lists, and IIRC check for duplicates.

Slowly? The list you get from the first site is arbitrary and doesn't know
you or what you're likely to run into. It doesn't know what you like,
dislike, want, and don't want. It doesn't give you a simple way to edit and
control them. This application uses no resources (unless you opt to drag a
shortcut to the startup folder which I've done in the past for use if you're
going to use it often) and does all that and more. It's handy. It's free. It
allows YOU the ultimate choice of what will and will not be blocked by your
hosts file as well as a quick and easy way (though I've a handy batch file
kicking about somewhere) to disable your hosts file and then re-enable it.

Oh, and I've used it in beta form and the newer version. Why? Because I
care... <g>

Galen

TRENDING THREADS