CompactFlash drive wont work

mia

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2002

I have a digi cam which takes a 32mb CompactFlash disk. Ive taken pictures
before and then removed the ComFlash from my cam and put it into the ComFlash
drive... have been able to download my pics with ease in the past.

Yesterday I wanted to do the same but i realise 2 things were not the same:
1)when i inserted the ComFlash into the drive, the green light did not flash
next to the drive, and even when restarting the pc no lights flashed EXCEPT
the SD/MMC drive light!
2)When clicking to go into 'My Computer'... under the section 'devices with
removable storage' it only lists 'DVD-RAM drive (D:)' .... but my pc has
drives (E:) (F:) (G:) (H:) (I:)... in the past i remember these being listed
but now..nothing.

What do you think is happening? I have wondered wether a wire has come out
of a socket or something at the back but this isnt possible otherwise the
whole box wouldnt work without electricity!! but now Im worried... do you
think the drive panel has broken? i can only use my 'DVD/CD drive (D:)' right
now!

please help!

If you are using a USB device for your Compact, check the USB connector
cord and see if it is plugged into a USB port on your computer.

"Mia" wrote:

> I have a digi cam which takes a 32mb CompactFlash disk. Ive taken pictures
> before and then removed the ComFlash from my cam and put it into the ComFlash
> drive... have been able to download my pics with ease in the past.
>
> Yesterday I wanted to do the same but i realise 2 things were not the same:
> 1)when i inserted the ComFlash into the drive, the green light did not flash
> next to the drive, and even when restarting the pc no lights flashed EXCEPT
> the SD/MMC drive light!
> 2)When clicking to go into 'My Computer'... under the section 'devices with
> removable storage' it only lists 'DVD-RAM drive (D:)' .... but my pc has
> drives (E:) (F:) (G:) (H:) (I:)... in the past i remember these being listed
> but now..nothing.
>
> What do you think is happening? I have wondered wether a wire has come out
> of a socket or something at the back but this isnt possible otherwise the
> whole box wouldnt work without electricity!! but now Im worried... do you
> think the drive panel has broken? i can only use my 'DVD/CD drive (D:)' right
> now!
>
> please help!

mia

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2002

yes i do HAVE a USB cord and i used it to download my pictures as an
alternative way of downloading them. but what im worried about is WHY can i
not download them using the CompactFlash drive? im trying to fix this
problem. but yeh thanks i did i with the USB cable

"3O-I-C" wrote:

> If you are using a USB device for your Compact, check the USB connector
> cord and see if it is plugged into a USB port on your computer.
>
> "Mia" wrote:
>
> > I have a digi cam which takes a 32mb CompactFlash disk. Ive taken pictures
> > before and then removed the ComFlash from my cam and put it into the ComFlash
> > drive... have been able to download my pics with ease in the past.
> >
> > Yesterday I wanted to do the same but i realise 2 things were not the same:
> > 1)when i inserted the ComFlash into the drive, the green light did not flash
> > next to the drive, and even when restarting the pc no lights flashed EXCEPT
> > the SD/MMC drive light!
> > 2)When clicking to go into 'My Computer'... under the section 'devices with
> > removable storage' it only lists 'DVD-RAM drive (D:)' .... but my pc has
> > drives (E:) (F:) (G:) (H:) (I:)... in the past i remember these being listed
> > but now..nothing.
> >
> > What do you think is happening? I have wondered wether a wire has come out
> > of a socket or something at the back but this isnt possible otherwise the
> > whole box wouldnt work without electricity!! but now Im worried... do you
> > think the drive panel has broken? i can only use my 'DVD/CD drive (D:)' right
> > now!
> >
> > please help!

Take a look at the below HP support site which talks about this issue:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07
910

Once in the above site, scroll down to the "Memory card does not appear in
My Computer or Windows Explorer" sub-heading.

--
HTH
Venkatesh
"Mia" <Mia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a digi cam which takes a 32mb CompactFlash disk. Ive taken pictures
> before and then removed the ComFlash from my cam and put it into the
ComFlash
> drive... have been able to download my pics with ease in the past.
>
> Yesterday I wanted to do the same but i realise 2 things were not the
same:
> 1)when i inserted the ComFlash into the drive, the green light did not
flash
> next to the drive, and even when restarting the pc no lights flashed
EXCEPT
> the SD/MMC drive light!
> 2)When clicking to go into 'My Computer'... under the section 'devices
with
> removable storage' it only lists 'DVD-RAM drive (D:)' .... but my pc has
> drives (E:) (F:) (G:) (H:) (I:)... in the past i remember these being
listed
> but now..nothing.
>
> What do you think is happening? I have wondered wether a wire has come out
> of a socket or something at the back but this isnt possible otherwise the
> whole box wouldnt work without electricity!! but now Im worried... do you
> think the drive panel has broken? i can only use my 'DVD/CD drive (D:)'
right
> now!
>
> please help!

mia

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2002

thanks man ill try that out and see what happens...ive done most of what it
says already common sense really but hasent helped....my only chance now is
to open the side panel, but im a bit iffy about doing that stuff so may just
ask PC world to sort it :D