Where is explanation of Security Settings (IE Internet Opt..

Where can I find an explanation of each of the Security
Settings for IE Internet Options?

Not only what they do ("disable or enable mixed content";
well duh!), but also what end-user features I lose by
disabling them and what risks I incur by enabling them.

For example, even when I know (vaguely) what "meta
refresh" and "mixed content" are, it is unclear to me
what are the full ramifications of enabling or disabling
them -- especially "mixed content". And it is not clear
what the "low", "medium" and "high" Java safety levels do.

But those are just examples. I am not looking for the
answer to those questions per se. I have a couple dozen
others ;-).

I am looking for, hopefully, one place that explains all
this. In fact, it would be ideal if it also covers other
Internet Options, notably Advanced.

If this is explained in the WinXP "Inside and Out" book,
I would appreciate a pointer. I have not found the
answer there myself.
6 answers Last reply
More about where explanation security settings internet

    In internet options,click on each icon,1 @ a time,select,default setting
    for each.For detailed info try search at microsoft.

    Andrew E. wrote:
    > In internet options,click on each icon,1 @ a time,
    > select,default setting for each.

    I do not know what you mean. There are no icons in
    Internet Options, at least not under (custom) Security
    Settings. (The icons under the Security tab select a
    zone.) I presume you mean: right-click each Security
    Settings options. But that simply shows the same
    uselsss boilerplate for each security setting, namely:
    "Specifies how you want to handle potentially risk
    actions ...".

    (In case I forgot to mention it, I am using XP Pro SP2
    and IE6.)

    > For detailed info try search at microsoft.

    Please give me a concrete example. As an example, I
    searched for ''"internet options" security'', and I
    found nothing that obviously explained the pros and
    cons of enabling and disabling the security settings.
    Perhaps I am not "searching at microsoft" correctly.

    I had done a google search first. I also searched for
    various other key phrases, all to no avail.

    Galen wrote:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/security/setup.mspx

    Thanks. I had actually seen that when I "searched microsoft",
    per the previous suggestion. But I did not page down far
    enough to see the explanation of custom settings. Klunk!

    Thanks again.

    In news:1114039735.060148.207670@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com,
    joeu2004@hotmail.com <joeu2004@hotmail.com> had this to say:

    > Please give me a concrete example. As an example, I
    > searched for ''"internet options" security'', and I
    > found nothing that obviously explained the pros and
    > cons of enabling and disabling the security settings.
    > Perhaps I am not "searching at microsoft" correctly.
    >
    > I had done a google search first. I also searched for
    > various other key phrases, all to no avail.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/security/setup.mspx

    Galen

    In news:1114059203.429237.99530@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com,
    joeu2004@hotmail.com <joeu2004@hotmail.com> had this to say:

    > Galen wrote:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/security/setup.mspx
    >
    > Thanks. I had actually seen that when I "searched microsoft",
    > per the previous suggestion. But I did not page down far
    > enough to see the explanation of custom settings. Klunk!
    >
    > Thanks again.

    No worries and missing stuff on your own is half the fun ;)

    Galen

    Working with Internet Explorer 6 Security Settings
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/security/settings.asp

    Use Security and Privacy Features in Internet Explorer 6
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/security/ie6.asp

    Setting Up Security Zones
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/security/setup.asp

    A Description of the Changes to the Security Settings of the Web Content
    Zones in Internet Explorer 6
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=300443
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    joeu2004@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Where can I find an explanation of each of the Security
    > Settings for IE Internet Options?
    >
    > Not only what they do ("disable or enable mixed content";
    > well duh!), but also what end-user features I lose by
    > disabling them and what risks I incur by enabling them.
    >
    > For example, even when I know (vaguely) what "meta
    > refresh" and "mixed content" are, it is unclear to me
    > what are the full ramifications of enabling or disabling
    > them -- especially "mixed content". And it is not clear
    > what the "low", "medium" and "high" Java safety levels do.
    >
    > But those are just examples. I am not looking for the
    > answer to those questions per se. I have a couple dozen
    > others ;-).
    >
    > I am looking for, hopefully, one place that explains all
    > this. In fact, it would be ideal if it also covers other
    > Internet Options, notably Advanced.
    >
    > If this is explained in the WinXP "Inside and Out" book,
    > I would appreciate a pointer. I have not found the
    > answer there myself.

Internet Explorer Internet Windows XP