Computer seizes up

My computer seems to seize up quite a lot since I installed Xp and I recently
saw an advert for software which counteracts my problem but cannot find it
now. Has anyone had a similar problem and found software that sorts out the
problem?
--
dianej
12 answers Last reply

    in order to solve your problem in a more effective way could you expand on
    "seize up". Does it just freeze? slow down? What do you do in order to course
    this problem etc.

    "dianej" wrote:

    > My computer seems to seize up quite a lot since I installed Xp and I recently
    > saw an advert for software which counteracts my problem but cannot find it
    > now. Has anyone had a similar problem and found software that sorts out the
    > problem?
    > --
    > dianej

    Hi there - thanks for responding. My computer freezes sometimes at start-up,
    sometimes when I am on the internet. There doesn't seem to be a particular
    reason.

    "tiiim" wrote:

    > in order to solve your problem in a more effective way could you expand on
    > "seize up". Does it just freeze? slow down? What do you do in order to course
    > this problem etc.
    >
    > "dianej" wrote:
    >
    > > My computer seems to seize up quite a lot since I installed Xp and I recently
    > > saw an advert for software which counteracts my problem but cannot find it
    > > now. Has anyone had a similar problem and found software that sorts out the
    > > problem?
    > > --
    > > dianej

    is it a freezes up like you cant move anything or a very bad slow down? if
    you leave it does it resume itself?

    "dianej" wrote:

    > Hi there - thanks for responding. My computer freezes sometimes at start-up,
    > sometimes when I am on the internet. There doesn't seem to be a particular
    > reason.
    >

    > "tiiim" wrote:
    >
    > > in order to solve your problem in a more effective way could you expand on
    > > "seize up". Does it just freeze? slow down? What do you do in order to course
    > > this problem etc.
    > >
    > > "dianej" wrote:
    > >
    > > > My computer seems to seize up quite a lot since I installed Xp and I recently
    > > > saw an advert for software which counteracts my problem but cannot find it
    > > > now. Has anyone had a similar problem and found software that sorts out the
    > > > problem?
    > > > --
    > > > dianej

    That is correct, I cannot move anything and I have to close my computer down
    and re-start/re-boot it.

    "tiiim" wrote:

    > is it a freezes up like you cant move anything or a very bad slow down? if
    > you leave it does it resume itself?
    >

    > "dianej" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi there - thanks for responding. My computer freezes sometimes at start-up,
    > > sometimes when I am on the internet. There doesn't seem to be a particular
    > > reason.
    > >

    > > "tiiim" wrote:
    > >
    > > > in order to solve your problem in a more effective way could you expand on
    > > > "seize up". Does it just freeze? slow down? What do you do in order to course
    > > > this problem etc.

    Diane, additional software is not likely to solve your problem.
    Troubleshooting your system is what you need to do.
    Here are a few questions for starters:

    How much RAM memory do you have on your machine (in MB)?
    What is the speed of your CPU (in GHz)?
    To find this, look in Start - Control Panel - System - General Tab - lower
    right area of window

    What programs are you using when your computer seizes up?

    Look in the Task Manager under Processes to see what is using the CPU the
    most.
    Task Manager: ctrl-alt-del
    Click twice at the top of the CPU column to see the heavy CPU consumers.

    Do you have current Antivirus?
    Do you have current anti-Spyware?

    "dianej" <dianej@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My computer seems to seize up quite a lot since I installed Xp and I
    recently
    > saw an advert for software which counteracts my problem but cannot find it
    > now. Has anyone had a similar problem and found software that sorts out
    the
    > problem?
    > --
    > dianej

    '''need more info'''

    what is the spec of your pc?
    does it totally freeze, does ctrl/alt/del work
    does it freeze at random or when doing something in particular?
    was it a 'clean' install of xp or an os upgrade?

    need more info tbh
    :)

    --
    Tightscot

    Hi there - sorry I didn't reply before. My anti-virus and spyware software
    is working and completey up-to-date. My pc is an Athalon 1.20 Ghz and I have
    376 mB of RAM. Having checked my windows task manager, the heaviest
    consumers are my internet provider, avg and svchost.exe - although I'm not
    sure what that is.

    "T. Waters" wrote:

    > Diane, additional software is not likely to solve your problem.
    > Troubleshooting your system is what you need to do.
    > Here are a few questions for starters:
    >
    > How much RAM memory do you have on your machine (in MB)?
    > What is the speed of your CPU (in GHz)?
    > To find this, look in Start - Control Panel - System - General Tab - lower
    > right area of window
    >
    > What programs are you using when your computer seizes up?
    >
    > Look in the Task Manager under Processes to see what is using the CPU the
    > most.
    > Task Manager: ctrl-alt-del
    > Click twice at the top of the CPU column to see the heavy CPU consumers.
    >
    > Do you have current Antivirus?
    > Do you have current anti-Spyware?
    >
    > "dianej" <dianej@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My computer seems to seize up quite a lot since I installed Xp and I
    > recently
    > > saw an advert for software which counteracts my problem but cannot find it
    > > now. Has anyone had a similar problem and found software that sorts out
    > the
    > > problem?
    > > --
    > > dianej

    Yes, it was a clean install. There does not seem to be any particular
    pattern when it freezes; sometimes it freezes when I turn it on.

    "Tightscot" wrote:

    > '''need more info'''
    >
    > what is the spec of your pc?
    > does it totally freeze, does ctrl/alt/del work
    > does it freeze at random or when doing something in particular?
    > was it a 'clean' install of xp or an os upgrade?
    >
    > need more info tbh
    > :)
    >

    > --
    > Tightscot

    Well, your hardware is up to the job, certainly. There is a slight chance
    that it has an intermittent problem, so please be sure to keep removable
    backups (like CD's) of your important files, just in case of a hard drive
    failure.

    Did you do a clean install of XP or an Upgrade Install over another version
    of Windows?

    I am a bit surprised at the processes that are using the most of your CPU.
    My computer lists System Idle Process (in other words, unused CPU) in the
    high 90's most of the time, which is the norm. My ISP is pretty inactive
    most of the time, as is AVG most of the time except during a scan. svchost
    is OK if it is around 2%. Is your system Idle Process 98-99% most of the
    time?

    > Hi there - sorry I didn't reply before. My anti-virus and spyware
    software
    > is working and completey up-to-date. My pc is an Athalon 1.20 Ghz and I
    have
    > 376 mB of RAM. Having checked my windows task manager, the heaviest
    > consumers are my internet provider, avg and svchost.exe - although I'm not
    > sure what that is.
    >
    > "T. Waters" wrote:
    >
    > > Diane, additional software is not likely to solve your problem.
    > > Troubleshooting your system is what you need to do.
    > > Here are a few questions for starters:
    > >
    > > How much RAM memory do you have on your machine (in MB)?
    > > What is the speed of your CPU (in GHz)?
    > > To find this, look in Start - Control Panel - System - General Tab -
    lower
    > > right area of window
    > >
    > > What programs are you using when your computer seizes up?
    > >
    > > Look in the Task Manager under Processes to see what is using the CPU
    the
    > > most.
    > > Task Manager: ctrl-alt-del
    > > Click twice at the top of the CPU column to see the heavy CPU consumers.
    > >
    > > Do you have current Antivirus?
    > > Do you have current anti-Spyware?
    > >
    > > "dianej" <dianej@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > My computer seems to seize up quite a lot since I installed Xp and I
    > > recently
    > > > saw an advert for software which counteracts my problem but cannot
    find it
    > > > now. Has anyone had a similar problem and found software that sorts
    out
    > > the
    > > > problem?
    > > > --
    > > > dianej

    "dianej" <dianej@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi there - sorry I didn't reply before. My anti-virus and spyware
    > software
    > is working and completey up-to-date. My pc is an Athalon 1.20 Ghz and I
    > have
    > 376 mB of RAM. Having checked my windows task manager, the heaviest
    > consumers are my internet provider, avg and svchost.exe - although I'm not
    > sure what that is.

    Go to: http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    Download "Hijack This!" [freeware]

    Unzip, double-click "HijackThis.exe" and Press "Scan".

    When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log"
    button.
    Click: "Save Log" (generates: "hijackthis.log")

    Next, go to the below location:
    http://forums.spywareinfo.com/

    Sign in, go to the "Malware Removal" section.
    Press "New Topic" and post a description of your symptoms. If they need to
    see your log they will ask for it.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Thanks for your help. Having used computers for a long time now, I know the
    benefits of back-ups and I do them regularly.

    "dianej" wrote:

    > My computer seems to seize up quite a lot since I installed Xp and I recently
    > saw an advert for software which counteracts my problem but cannot find it
    > now. Has anyone had a similar problem and found software that sorts out the
    > problem?
    > --
    > dianej

    Many thanks Frank - I will certainly try your suggestions.

    "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > "dianej" <dianej@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi there - sorry I didn't reply before. My anti-virus and spyware
    > > software
    > > is working and completey up-to-date. My pc is an Athalon 1.20 Ghz and I
    > > have
    > > 376 mB of RAM. Having checked my windows task manager, the heaviest
    > > consumers are my internet provider, avg and svchost.exe - although I'm not
    > > sure what that is.
    >
    > Go to: http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    > Download "Hijack This!" [freeware]
    >
    > Unzip, double-click "HijackThis.exe" and Press "Scan".
    >
    > When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log"
    > button.
    > Click: "Save Log" (generates: "hijackthis.log")
    >
    > Next, go to the below location:
    > http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
    >
    > Sign in, go to the "Malware Removal" section.
    > Press "New Topic" and post a description of your symptoms. If they need to
    > see your log they will ask for it.
    >
    > --
    > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    > http://www.fjsmjs.com