Street Figher 4(Steam version) crashing

griffed88

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
I got Street Fighter 4 off of steam the day it came out and it worked great. Now, anytime i start a match (online or off) it goes to black screen and I have to ctrl-alt-del out. I can get to the character select screen but once the match starts the screen goes black and the game is "not responding."

I have an ASUS G50VT-X5 laptop with the 9800m GS 512mb. I currently have it hooked up to a 22in monitor at 1680x1050. All my other games work fine.

I tried unplugging my 22in monitor to see if it was a problem with dual monitors but it still went black. I haven't been able to find much online about this problem. Also, i updated my drivers and that didn't seem to have any effect. Any help would be great, thanks!

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Wow... really constructive comment there bpogdowz... also for the record the graphics have been upgraded in the PC version so it's not 'just a console port'.

Anyway... onto something a little more constructive.

First, in Steam, right click on SF4, hit Properties, and then under Local Files click on Verify Integrity of Game Cache. This will rule out any file corruption causing issues.

Second, use a program like SpeedFan to check your temperatures while gaming, overheating graphics card might cause the crash.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
actually, im pretty sure SF4 is a pc game, ported to console. (which is the way it should be done.)

lots of people are complaining about SF4 not working on steam. you are in the WRONG forum. go to the steam forum. =P

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
apparently i cant edit my comment, so...

i might remember that steam forum thread. if i recall (and i may very well could be confusing my steam games here) disabling the steam overlay fixes the SF4 problem.

griffed88

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
yeah i figured i would be in the wrong forum lol. but i saw alot of other people posting crashing problems for other games so i thought i'd give it a shot.

Thanks alot for the help, ill try your suggestions when I get home and confirm whether or not it works for me.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
sry, i would have edited that if i could. it was kind of rude.

there really is no wrong question here at toms. theres a large user base here, and someone really might have your answer.

i just meant, you'll find better results for that specific question in the steam forum.

good luck!

*edit* my edit is working now. it wasnt before. its hit and miss. sometimes my edit doesnt work. its not uncommon, you can find a thread about it in the toms forums. ;p

griffed88

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Well i disabled the overlay but it didnt change anything. But what worked for me was just putting on the default settings and running it in windowed mode. I think itll run in full screen too. I read that lowering AA helps as well. Thanks for all the help!

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
interesting.

was your game resolution (and color settings) the same as your desktop resolution when things werent working?

i only ask, because if it works in a window, that may be because it isnt messing with your desktop resolution. which, running in fullscreen, with a different resolution, would.

always run your games at your desktop resolution. ^^