Lost My SharedDocs Folder

HaZ

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

Somehow, I have managed to have lost my SharedDocs folder. I'm on a small
LAN, so I do need it. (I must have done a good job of it because it isn't
in the Recycle Bin either)

How can I get it back??
Thx
Haz

Looks like lost from everywhere -

1) Not in Tweak/My Comp

2) C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents is empty

3) > http://computers.douglasthrift.net/winxpfaq.html#faq3 says to go to
desktop.ini file in Shared Docuement folder. I have no Shared Documenst
folder. I can put one in, but would it be 'functional'?

4) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319825 Microsoft
says contact them for the fix. Not yet. I don't see what mods they want
made to the registry - specifically "Replace the user name and user profile
environment variables with the literal values for each user who logs on to
the computer.

NOTE: In each user's My Documents folder and subfolders, open the
Desktop.ini files and modify the Owner value under the "DeleteOnCopy"
section to match the user name. "
5) What to do?

Haz

> Lost from where?
>
> Do you have TweakUI installed?
> [+] My Computer | Check ? Files stored on this computer |
> Apply | OK
> -----
>
> %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Documents
> or
> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents
>
> is the Shared Documents folder. It gets it's name from the desktop.ini
> file.
>
> The desktop.ini file may be missing or messed up.
>
> Detailed instructions here on how to fix or create a desktop.ini file for
> the Shared Documents folder...
> http://computers.douglasthrift.net/winxpfaq.html#faq3
>
> -----
>
> See the WORKAROUND here...
> Shared Documents Folders Are Missing From My Computer
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319825
>
> The My Computer Icon Displays the My Documents Folders of Another User
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;286727
>
> My Documents folder missing in My Computer
> http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak1846.aspx
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:uD%23ppa1QFHA.2972@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> Haz <a_burkhardt@dcwis.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Somehow, I have managed to have lost my SharedDocs folder. I'm on a
>> small
>> LAN, so I do need it. (I must have done a good job of it because it
>> isn't
>> in the Recycle Bin either)
>>
>> How can I get it back??
>> Thx
>> Haz

Run the "Undo" on line 197 of this web page:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.co­m/xp_tweaks.htm
Direct link:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/noshareddocumentsundo.reg

If that does not fix it, locate the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DocFolderPaths
Add the following registry value, and then quit Registry Editor:
Value name: user name
Data type: REG_SZ
Value data: user profile\My Documents

Replace the words "user name" and "user profile" with the literal values for each
user who logs on to the computer.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm