PS3 Component --> VGA: Will it Work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDDX416

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Alright, so I have a PS3, a non-HDCP monitor, and a car to fix up and college to attend. Consequently, no new display for me. My 360 works marvelously on this LG Flatron, but unfortunately I'm running out of luck on the PS3. So far I have yet to get any successful image (the console does work, as I have a TV I've hooked it to in the mean time). I attempted HDMI->DVI because of some success stories, but no luck. I tried building a Component to VGA cable, but no luck (however, I'm very new to building cables and I used components from old electronics I had lying around, so there was a decent amount of experimental error).

So I'm down to pretty much my final option before the either the PS3 collects dust, or my car keeps its primer headlight cover. This final option is...

Standard PS3 Component cables --> Component coupler (as such: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040107&p_id=3002&seq=1&format=2) --> Component to VGA adapter (as such: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10235&cs_id=1023503&p_id=2170&seq=1&format=2)

With any luck, this will allow me to play the PS3 on the monitor. I don't give a darn about getting 1080i or anything like that. 720p is as close to HD as I like, and I can live with 480i if I have to. I don't watch BluRays or HD DVD's. I only play games and experiment with Linux (well, as soon as I get the display working).

Now, here's the reason I'm asking this rather than just ordering the cables: I sent an e-mail to LG asking if my monitor had the ability to run component via the VGA port, and they said no. I'm slightly inclined to believe them, but I'm also very inclined to disbelieve them as the past has taught me to take "support" lines with a grain of salt. However, when I was at Radio Shack about a week ago trying to gather components for the failed cable build (ended up not buying the new components for this reason), the local expert said component to VGA would not work without the $100 converter box. This seems highly rediculous to me because I can just spring another $50 and get a new monitor, rather than having a box that will be useless for about every display I buy after this monitor dies.

Now, what makes me think it might work? I've read a bunch of "success stories" online, one using the exact cable and coupler linked above. However, it may have only worked because their monitor supported it or something, I don't know. So does anyone have some expertise on this? Does this have enough chance of working to warrant a try, or is it physically impossible?

The monitor I'm using is an LG Flatron L1932TQ.

Thanks!

Dame

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
In short, no it wont work since VGA is effectively RGB (separate Red Green and Blue signals along with luminence (brightness) and sync signals). Compoenet video is not RGB - don't let the colours of the wires mislead you.

The three wires for component video may be coloured Red, Green and Blue, but they do not carry the discreet colours in this way. Component cables carry Luma (brightness) down the Green cable, and Red and Blue colour components down the Red and Blue cables. Green is calculated by figuring the difference between the Red and Blue signals. Component video is essentially a better version of SVHS which carries Lima and Colour in two separate wires. Component provides twice the number of wires for colour information and thus can provide higher quality since there isn't as much ,multiplexing or signals (this is when several signals are sent down a single wire which then have to be separated by the display device).

I suspect the $100 box that Radio Shack were talking about processes the component signal, recovers the Green, and Sync signals and sends the resulting Colour, Brightness and Sync info to the VGA port.

Hope this helps, sorry to bear bad news :-(.

First off, every signal you send to a PC LCD must be 'p', either 480p, 720p, or 1080p, as PC LCD's have long used progressive signals instead of interlaced ones (1080i is usually supported though). Try HDMI->DVI again, as that should work (its the same signal), and make sure you are using a supported output signal.

Other then that, the converter should work fine; Theres even an offical VGA cable that was made: http://www.amazon.com/Wii-PS3-VGA-HDTV-Cable-Nintendo/dp/B0015MISAG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1248291450&sr=8-1

Just remember to set a proper output first.

Dame

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Um I'm not sure if he has a DVI input, he only mentions VGA (Analogue) which means a HDMI to DVI wont work since the signal in that case is digital.

MDDX416

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Thanks for the help so far guys!

Dame: Sorry, I do have a DVI input. I neglected to say it outright in my original post since I was, at the time, asking mainly about the VGA connection. But yes, I have VGA and DVI inputs (no others).

gamerk316: Well, my idea when I last tried the DVI->HDMI cable was to change the output settings and such myself, rather than having the system choose it. However, how do I tell it what to output before it changes screens? Right now, I'll go into the Display settings menu, click on HDMI for the output, and it will tell me about the 30 second reset and all that. If I hit Change (the only option available), it switches to the HDMI output without asking me about supported resolutions. Now, when I used an HDMI->HDMI cable for a time (had the use of an HDTV for a bit, so borrowed a cable as well), I remember it asking me about outputs after it changed to the HDMI display, but I can't remember the button clicks needed to tell it 480p or 720p. So any tips on getting the output switched?

Also, I have thought about that VGA cable several times, but I just can't seem to find many people that give it a good report. If I could pick it up locally at Best Buy or something, it would be worth the try because I could simply return it (it's how I've been experimenting with this displays now), but on Amazon it can't be returned without a heavy loss. So at the moment it's a bit of a last resort.

EDIT: How about this. I ran into Best Buy last night to see if I could find any other options, and lo-and-behold, I find an employee who actually plays with this stuff himself. He said one thing to try, though whether it will work or not is flimsy (but with the 30 day refund, it's worth a shot), is to use an HDMI cable and run it to a female HDMI to male DVI adapter. He said the HDMI->DVI cable I was using from them already was actually designed with HDCP in mind, so perhaps using a standard HDMI cable would confuse the system a bit.

But, would it perhaps help me with changing the output settings? I do have the ability to run HDMI to another screen at the moment, but I won't be able to take this screen with me in a few weeks (which is why I'm looking for the monitor solution). So what if I hook up the PS3 to that screen via the HDMI cable, set the output settings to 480p or 720p (since I'll be able to see the screen full time) and then swap it to the monitor via the HDMI->DVI adapter I mentioned above? As long as I don't do a hard reboot of the system and reset the video settings on accident, I'm good. Like I said, the possibility of it working is rather flimsy and most likely with render no result, but I have 30 days to experiment with it, so I'm good to go :) (lol, they're going to be sick of me at Best Buy though. I've already bought and returned around 7 or so items in my testing, and I've got more to come.) Granted, if the power ever goes out at college, I'm done lol.

Dame

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Cool in that case the HDMI to DVI cable should work without issue, and this is the route you need to go down. Forget about the analogue outputs of the PS3 they won't hook directly to your monitor.

I'm afraid I'm not too well versed in the PS3 so not sure about your resolution switch question - sorry I can't offer more help but alas my knowledge is in the technicalities of the video itself not the configuration of consoles. I'm sure someone of here will be able to help though, it sounds like a pretty common connection requirement.

MDDX416

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Not a problem :) After college, I should (I hope) know more about the technical side than I do now, considering I'm heading for Electrical Engineering with maybe some Computer Engineering classes thrown in if I can get away with it. Right now though, I'm running with the randomness I can find on the internet and my own common sense (though we all know that common sense doesn't always apply to computers and electronics...), so any time I can find a technically versed guy is great.

Hmmm...I'm wondering why it doesn't give you the option to change res. What size is your screen? The PS3 might be detecting that your screen is too small for 720p, and is automatically switching to the only compatable resolution (480p in this case).

HDMI-DVI should work with no isses whatsoever, HDCP or no. As for VGA, you'll be limited to 480p, but I know the cable itself works (I use it for my Wii, as thats the only way to hook it to a moniter). Remember though, the analog outputs wont plug into your moniter, so you still need to route them somewhere so you can get sound.

MDDX416

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
The screen I'm using is a 19" standard (not widescreen). From what I've read/heard, it should have enough resolution ability to go 720p. However, I do know that this monitor is "maximized for 1280x1024". Also, when I change to the digital input on the monitor and look through the menu, it says the displayed resolution is 640x480 (when there's no picture from the HDMI->DVI cable, but the screen is recognizing it *indicator light goes on and screen flickers before turning "backlit black"*). I'm not sure if I can change that or if it's stuck that way, but it could be part of the problem.

MDDX416

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Alright, I just attempted the following:

I purchased the HDMI cable and the female HDMI to male DVI adapter, plugged the adapter into my monitor and the HDMI cable between my PS3 and an HDMI compatible TV I have access to for a bit. I jumped into settings and set it to 720p, turned off the system, and hooked it up to the monitor. When I turned the system on, the monitor did the usual: Recognized the PS3 with no issue, but still gave a blank screen. I checked the resolution in the menu, however, and it was set at 1280x1024 (too low for 720p, if I'm remembering correctly).

Next, I tried 480p, but ended up with the same issue. This time, however, the monitor resolution was changed to 640x480, which is most definitely too low for 480p if I remember correctly.

Note that I did not do any settings changes to the monitor itself. The resolution change was automatic.

The cable setup not working honestly doesn't make any sense, considering 480p and 720p are not "high bandwidth digital" connections, right? However, the monitor changing resolutions could be a major issue. Is there anything I can do to ratify this?

wroxtar

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
In very short.
If I were you,

I would get a nice component cable for SONY PS3, most probably the official ps3 component cables from sony. Others work fine too.

Then I would look for a solution to this on youtube, just to see if someone has posted something.

And voila, I would have come up with this video:

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/mJj1E0FWXMc&hl=en&fs=1&[/flash]

After looking at that. I would have looked at the cheapest option available.

And then after lot of searching and researching, I would have no other option but to place an
order for the most wonderful thing ever made in the field of gaming for people like us who cannot
afford an HDTV - An XCM MEGA COOL VGA BOX!

Yes, I have already looked around the internet a lot for a solution to the issue you are having and
was left with nothing but this.

I recently placed an order for an XCM MEGA COOL VGA BOX from play-asia. And I am sure I have made
the right decision. Looking at that video, I know I can't be wrong.

All the best mate.

640x480 = 480p. 1280x720 = 720p. 1920x1080 = 1080p. See a theme yet?

You ARE telling the PS3 to output via HDMI, right? Thats really the only thing I can think of at this point...

MDDX416

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Ah, yes I do see a theme. Sorry, still new to displays. Usually work with just the computers.

And yes, I am telling the PS3 to use HDMI. I hooked the PS3 to the TV via HDMI, set it up to 720p and 480p (seperate times, of course), shut off the PS3 via the controller (avoiding video reset), and swapped to the monitor (and I did swap the monitor input to digital).

Hm...unless the moniter has a seperate mode for HDMI (mine has Analog, Digital, and HDMI, for instance), then I guess the HDMI method won't work, leaving component->VGA as your only option.

You can still get 720p, but I'm not sure about the sharpness. Component->VGA connectors do exist though, but make sure you still have a way to connect the Red/White RCA sound jacks to your sound system.

jayohen1

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
Hey guys, sorry to revive an old post and I know it's been asked before. Will the generic ps3/wii cable work on an non-hdcp 19" LCD? (Acer 1916W - 1440x900 native and only has a VGA) to display a ps3? I don't care for HD quality, just .. LCD quality I suppose which is much better than my old school TV. My screen does support 1280x720. People keep mentioning HDMI converters and component cables and what not, but again I don't really care for true HD quality. In that case, will: http://www.buy.com/prod/wii-ps3-vga-hdtv-av-cable/q/listingid/50583461/loc/101/211959023.html work since I'm not aiming for HD quality? I used an RCA splitter with computer speakers for audio with my 360 (RROD ftl) so that isn't an issue. So will that single ps3/wii vga cable work or do I need a component -> VGA? (kind of confused about that set route)

Thanks

G

I have an IPS Dell Ultrasharp monitor and am wondering if the XCM 1080p Mega-Cool VGA Box works?

The product's description only said that it is applicable for TFT and CRT monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.