Programs That Don't Work After SP2

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
<b>Sparky853</b> posted this article in another thread ... but it deserves it's own thread so people don't miss it, hopefully.

<A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=842242" target="_new"><b>Some programs seem to stop working after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2</b></A>

That's " Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 842242"

<b> ...more people are driven insane through religious hysteria than by drinking alcohol - W.C. Fields </b>

juice

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2001
Thanks Jake - here is my two cents:

Per CA

eTrust Antivirus

Windows XP SP2 introduced a Windows Firewall component. By default the firewall is set to block ports that eTrust Antivirus needs. We would recommend to perform the following:

For eAV 6.0, 7.0 and 7.1 installations, please run the AVEnablePorts.exe utility. The utility can be downloaded from ftp://ftp.ca.com/pub/inoculan/AVEnablePorts.exe.

Windows XP SP2 also removed the Anonymous Access in the Remote Procedure Call (RPC).

For eAV 7.1 installation, this is not affected.

For eAV 6.0 installation, please apply fix QO58103.

For eAV 7.0 installation, please apply fix QO58101.

Remote Install for Etrust per "Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 842242"

Needed so that a Windows Server 2003 eTrust 7.0 server can remotely install the client eTrust software on Windows XP SP2-based computers. Resolved by setting the following to 0 and then rebooting: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\RPC\RestrictRemoteClients (DWORD value)

:cool: <font color=blue> I know nothing that is why i am here at THG!</font color=blue>