Sending instant message using the dos prompt window

Is there a way to send a message to a user on my network using the dos prompt
so that message instanly pops up on their screen rather than sending an email?

HOW TO: Use Windows Messenger Instant Messaging
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307887

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Spr99ace" wrote:

| Is there a way to send a message to a user on my network using the dos prompt
| so that message instanly pops up on their screen rather than sending an email?

That is NOT what he is asking!

He wants to send a popup to another computer on HIS network. That requires
the messenger service to be enabled. It is now off by default with SP2. For
"your" future reference it is called the Net Send command and is used within
the command prompt window.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> HOW TO: Use Windows Messenger Instant Messaging
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307887
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Spr99ace" wrote:
>
> | Is there a way to send a message to a user on my network using the dos
> prompt
> | so that message instanly pops up on their screen rather than sending an
> email?

What you want to do requires the messenger service to be enabled. It is now
off by default with SP2. It is called the Net Send command and is used
within the command prompt window to pop up a message window on another
computer connected to your local network.

Hope this helps!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

Spr99ace wrote:
> Is there a way to send a message to a user on my network using the dos prompt
> so that message instanly pops up on their screen rather than sending an email?

From the command prompt, "net send [username] Your Message." It'll
even work if you use Start > Run > "net send [username] Your Message."

For more options and the correct syntax, at the command prompt type
"net send /?"

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Yes there is....by using the NET SEND command....here is what you do:

First you must put systems in same network as you know.

step1 : start --> run --> (type) services.msc --> (press) ok

step2 : find for 'messenger' services (you can press 'm' as well to find it)

step3 : double click it ! change status form disabled to automatic if it is 'disabled'.

step4 : press start button & finish the process.

step5 : open your command prompt

step6 : type the following "net send ComputerNameHere some messages overhere"

step7 : Enter to send

Hope this helps.....please not the net send command does not work on vista.

Eric Ndung'u Murugami

jesscen

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010