brning dvds

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Please help I have just downloaded a dvd from my computer i am wanting to
burn it on to my own dvd disc so i can watch it on telly but how do you do it
I have media windows series 10. Is there anything i need to be able to copy
it onto a disc
--
thank you very much for your help
5 answers Last reply
More about brning dvds
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    you need:
    a DVD R/RW or dual layer burner
    a DVD burning program like Roxio or Nero
    Be warned that Commercial Movies are usually larger a normal DVD
    r/rw..........hence Dual Layer DVD
    to the best of my knowledge XP only supports CD burning not DVD burning.
    I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong...please
    peterk

    --
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
    safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in
    sideways, chocolate in one hand, margarita in the other, body thoroughly
    used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"
    "shaaza" <shaaza@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:5C318500-85F1-4671-8552-F0E00A6161D3@microsoft.com...
    > Please help I have just downloaded a dvd from my computer i am wanting to
    > burn it on to my own dvd disc so i can watch it on telly but how do you do
    > it
    > I have media windows series 10. Is there anything i need to be able to
    > copy
    > it onto a disc
    > --
    > thank you very much for your help
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "peterk" wrote:

    > to the best of my knowledge XP only supports CD burning not DVD burning.
    > I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong...please
    > peterk

    That may explain the problem I'm having: I have a Sony DVD RW DW-D22A drive
    on my XP Pro SP2 machine. I've dragged and dropped files to CDs in the drive
    without problem. For the first time just today I bought a pack of Verbatim
    DVD+R 16x. When I attempt to drag and drop to the drive the following
    appears: "Windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this file. What
    do you want Windows to do?" Only cancel works. Alternately I also get this
    message: "File System Error 16389". Under Properties/Recording, Enable CD
    recording is checked, I have plenty of free space on the designated hard
    drive and I even adjusted the write speed from "Fastest" to "16x". If XP
    doesn't support DVD burning, guess I'll have to get an udate to my old Nero,
    or a new Nero or Roxio. Arrrrggghhhh!
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    peterk wrote:
    > to the best of my knowledge XP only supports CD burning not DVD
    > burning. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong...please

    fourdivines wrote:
    > That may explain the problem I'm having: I have a Sony DVD RW DW-D22A
    > drive on my XP Pro SP2 machine. I've dragged and dropped files to CDs
    > in the drive without problem. For the first time just today I bought
    > a pack of Verbatim DVD+R 16x. When I attempt to drag and drop to the
    > drive the following appears: "Windows encountered a problem when
    > trying to copy this file. What do you want Windows to do?" Only
    > cancel works. Alternately I also get this message: "File System Error
    > 16389". Under Properties/Recording, Enable CD recording is checked, I
    > have plenty of free space on the designated hard drive and I even
    > adjusted the write speed from "Fastest" to "16x". If XP doesn't
    > support DVD burning, guess I'll have to get an udate to my old Nero,
    > or a new Nero or Roxio. Arrrrggghhhh!

    Or something free...

    DeepBurner Free
    http://www.deepburner.com/

    CDBurnerXP Pro
    http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

    Another Option would be to search the web with Pricewatch.com or
    Dealsites.net and find deals on Nero and/or Roxio.

    --
    <- Shenan ->
    --
    The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
    yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
    responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
    getting into before you jump in with both feet.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > Or something free...
    >
    > DeepBurner Free
    > http://www.deepburner.com/
    >
    > CDBurnerXP Pro
    > http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

    Thanks for the pointers... and I'll keep your admonition in mind - I'm the
    one responsible for checking things out! You gave me a place to start.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    you need a dvd burner (hardware) and dvd burning program (software).
    Windows Media Player won't help you in this case (as it doesn't even PLAY
    DVD's without decoder s/ware or hardware).

    "shaaza" <shaaza@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:5C318500-85F1-4671-8552-F0E00A6161D3@microsoft.com...
    > Please help I have just downloaded a dvd from my computer i am wanting to
    > burn it on to my own dvd disc so i can watch it on telly but how do you do
    > it
    > I have media windows series 10. Is there anything i need to be able to
    > copy
    > it onto a disc
    > --
    > thank you very much for your help
Ask a new question

Read More

DVD Microsoft Windows XP