windows xp from windows me

I want to go from Windows ME to XP Do I need to buy the upgrad of XP or the
full version, or is there a difference
6 answers Last reply
More about windows windows

    The upgrade version is what you want.
    With this version, it will be possible to do either a clean-install or an
    upgrade install, whichever you prefer.
    What distinguishes this version of XP is that it must detect a previous
    qualifying version of Windows in order to install.

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 15:26:02 -0700, silky wrote:

    > I want to go from Windows ME to XP Do I need to buy the upgrad of XP or the
    > full version, or is there a difference

    The upgrade version is all you need to go from ME to XP Home.
    --
    Tom Porterfield
    MS-MVP Windows

    Tom Porterfield Wrote:
    > On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 15:26:02 -0700, silky wrote:
    > -
    > I want to go from Windows ME to XP Do I need to buy the upgrad of XP
    > or the
    > full version, or is there a difference-
    >
    > The upgrade version is all you need to go from ME to XP Home.
    > --
    > Tom Porterfield
    > MS-MVP Windows
    > http://support.telop.org
    >
    > Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup only.

    The difference is that the FULL version allows for either clean
    installation OR upgrade, The upgrade version will not support a full
    clean install.

    --
    Paul Webster

    Hi Paul,

    The upgrade version of Windows XP WILL allow a clean install!
    During the install process you will be asked to insert the qualifying
    OS cd to satisfy the compliance check.

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 16:30:38 +0000, Paul Webster wrote:

    > The difference is that the FULL version allows for either clean
    > installation OR upgrade, The upgrade version will not support a full
    > clean install.

    Not true. You can use the upgrade version for a full clean install. At
    some point during the install it will need proof that you qualify for the
    upgrade. This can be done at the beginning of the install by starting the
    install from within a previous version of Windows, or it can be done during
    the install by inserting a previous version CD when prompted. The *only*
    difference between full retail and upgrade retail is that the upgrade will
    require you to show it a previous version at some point during the install.
    Both can do upgrade installs and both can do clean installs.
    --
    Tom Porterfield
    MS-MVP Windows

    there is a difference;

    The Upgrade requires you have a previous copy of Windows to upgrade from
    (obviously). The previous version doesn't need to be installed, you just
    need the disk handy (i.e. in your case a copy of the Windows ME CD).

    The full version is intended for "PC's without Windows" e.g. installing on a
    new hard drive, or if you don't have a previous version of Windows.

    "silky" <silky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I want to go from Windows ME to XP Do I need to buy the upgrad of XP or the
    > full version, or is there a difference

Windows Me Microsoft Windows XP