xp professional total failure

Good morning,

By error i clicked on the backup system on my computer and it started
restoring files which I no longer wanted and showing them on the desktop. I
started to delete them from the desktop when suddenly the computer froze. Th
e only option I had was to turn off from power switch. I switched on and
win.pro came up on the screen but when it reached the point were welcome
appears the screen went black and a message no signal appeared. None of my
accessories would work.S0 switched off again this time as before no signal
appeared followed by a black screen with options on it the usual safe mode
normal mode etc. however the pointers on my keyboard would not function (usb)
so i hadto accept normal start up, however again the windows xp logo
appeared and appeared to load but then message came up no signal. I then
decided to plug in my serial spare keyboard which did all ow me to move keys
up and down so I opted for safe mode but once more just got the same results
I tried every every configuration posiible and tried f8 setups but to no
avail. At this point in time my desktop comp is sitting there and I am
writing this on laptop. Any suggestions. Thanks.

Thanks Will, (Will Denny)

For quick reply i have gone to website you suggested and will print it off
for future use. Unfortunately My windows xpp is an upgrade from windows
Millenium done by a comp repairman who has since gone out of business. The
millenium was preinstalled by tiny computers 3 years ago but their restore
disks never worked. They then went out of business. It looks like another
trip to the repair shop is required.

Regds

Snadger

Hi

Try a 'Repair' install of XP. The following article by Michael Stevens will
help you:

"How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"snadger" <snadger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Good morning,
>
> By error i clicked on the backup system on my computer and it started
> restoring files which I no longer wanted and showing them on the desktop.
> started to delete them from the desktop when suddenly the computer froze.
> Th
> e only option I had was to turn off from power switch. I switched on and
> win.pro came up on the screen but when it reached the point were welcome
> appears the screen went black and a message no signal appeared. None of my
> accessories would work.S0 switched off again this time as before no signal
> appeared followed by a black screen with options on it the usual safe mode
> normal mode etc. however the pointers on my keyboard would not function
> (usb)
> so i hadto accept normal start up, however again the windows xp logo
> appeared and appeared to load but then message came up no signal. I then
> decided to plug in my serial spare keyboard which did all ow me to move
> keys
> up and down so I opted for safe mode but once more just got the same
> results
> I tried every every configuration posiible and tried f8 setups but to no
> avail. At this point in time my desktop comp is sitting there and I am
> writing this on laptop. Any suggestions. Thanks.

Hi

Either another trip to the repair shop you can purchase a retail version XP
CD. See if the following helps regarding the purchase of an XP CD:

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/homeusers/default.mspx

--

> Thanks Will, (Will Denny)
>
> For quick reply i have gone to website you suggested and will print it off
> for future use. Unfortunately My windows xpp is an upgrade from windows
> Millenium done by a comp repairman who has since gone out of business. The
> millenium was preinstalled by tiny computers 3 years ago but their restore
> disks never worked. They then went out of business. It looks like
> another
> trip to the repair shop is required.
>
> Regds
>
> Snadger

It would not be a bad idea to borrow a copy of Win 98 or ME from an
acquaintance for the purpose of performing a Repair Install of Windows. You
should not have to buy a new OS under these circumstances.

"snadger" <snadger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Will, (Will Denny)
>
> For quick reply i have gone to website you suggested and will print it off
> for future use. Unfortunately My windows xpp is an upgrade from windows
> Millenium done by a comp repairman who has since gone out of business. The
> millenium was preinstalled by tiny computers 3 years ago but their restore
> disks never worked. They then went out of business. It looks like
another
> trip to the repair shop is required.
>
> Regds
>
> Snadger

"snadger" <snadger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Will, (Will Denny)
>
> For quick reply i have gone to website you suggested and will print it off
> for future use. Unfortunately My windows xpp is an upgrade from windows
> Millenium done by a comp repairman who has since gone out of business. The
> millenium was preinstalled by tiny computers 3 years ago but their restore
> disks never worked. They then went out of business. It looks like
> another
> trip to the repair shop is required.
>
> Regds
>
> Snadger

Are you saying you didn't get the XP disk? If you got it, it will do the
repair install just fine. If you need to do a clean install, you'd need a
qualifying version of previous software, however.

> "D.Currie" wrote:
>
>> Thanks D. Currrie all I have is the XPPupgrade disk.

You can do a repair install with that.

TRENDING THREADS