Carpal tunnel from gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninjaboi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
It seems as though i'm getting carpal tunnel...and I know carpal tunnel is a medical condition and does not truly relate to this website ( which is great :D ) but lots of people that play games, or even just sit and type on their computers get this condition. Right now its just a slight discomfort and a little pain in certain positions of my wrist, no tingling or sharp pains or constant overnight pains, so i'm glad I caught it early. Whats funny is that i remember reading somewhere that a mouse being held a lot ( like when playing most new games ) actually is much worse than keyboard overuse. Which is not I now believe this as because my Left hand ( the one I don't use for the mouse ) has no pain or discomfort. In fact its my weak hand too. But my right hand is beginning to show signs of early carpal tunnel, and I just wanted to ask "Is there any way I can reverse this injury in the very early stages? Its so minor I didnt think getting a cast brace or surgery is neccissary ( or likely for me to accept a needle in my arm and then surgury :cry: )

Let us know when you get that nickle sized permanent red spot on your wrist where it rests on the table. And let us know when your pinky finger gets a flat spot on the tip for constantly being pressed against the mouse. And let us know when the arthritis sets in on the third finger causing joint pain and swelling. Didn't post this to be funny neither.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
ive got the nickle size mark. it forms on that damn bump on the bottom outside part of the wrist (when your wrists face down.) its the worst. ^^ i dont have the flat pinky from my mouse.

sometimes my left middle finger huts from holding the "w" key for too long.

ac3144

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Hi,
I'm a final year medical student and I think I might be able to help you.

From what you describe, it doesn't sound like carpal tunnel syndrome very much, rather a repetitive strain injury. Carpal tunnel usually manifests as a tingling, pins and needles like sensation in the area from the thumb to the middle finger. It arises from compression of the median nerve in the flexor retinaculum on the underside of your wrist (where you can see your tendons stick out if you make a fist). You don't say how old you are, but I suspect you are not in the age group where this is usually seen (50+) nor a pregnant lady. It could be carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) but more likely to be repetitive strain injury (RSI)

Your injury sounds to me like localised inflammation at the insertions of tendons and ligaments into bone, which as you rightly say, could well be down to overuse/awkward hand and wrist position when using the mouse and keyboard. You could test whether the diagnosis is carpal tunnel using some simple tests.

1. Put your elbow on the table as if you are about to have an arm wrestle (use the arm that hurts). Keep your arm and elbow in that position then flop your hand over. Leave it like that for ten minutes; if your middle finger and digits to the thumb side begin to tingle, it's likely carpal tunnel. This is called Phalen's test.

2. This one is too complicated both to explain and perform to a non medic but if you would like to try it, google: Tinel's sign.

If both of these are negative, it's unlikey to be CTS.

Next you should take some simple Ibuprofen (if you are not asthmatic, and have not had any gastric bleeding problems) and stop using your computer for a couple of days. If this works then localised inflammation is very likely and refraining from the activity when you are experiencing pain will be the treatment (along with simple anti inflammatory medication; Ibuprofen).

Let me know how you get on and don't forget, It's much better to go and see a doctor in the flesh to rule out more serious musculoskeletal problems.

If you need any more help, post again.
Hope this helps
AC

jassao

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Sometimes you can't just not use the computer for a couple days, like in my case, I started to have the same symptoms you described.
Someone prescribed me Ibuprofen (as Ac3144 said), and the pain stopped.

but now I do some exercises every 1-2hrs with my wrists, and use a mousepad with gel wrist support.

no more pain, and I can still play games for 3-4hrs straight, and of course use the computer in my office all day long.

Captainhero

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
I get the same kinda things but in my left hand, w,s,a,d. I think from hovering my fingers over the buttons. I found cutting down on pron helps ;) I also adjusted my keyboard so it was tilted and ibruprofin gel sorts things. I also try not to play for too long at one time. No more 8 hour bf2 sessions!
I Like the post from ac3144, this is turning into a medical site lol! :)

bpogdowz

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Can you still make a fist? The only time I get pain in my keyboard hand was soreness from when Killing Floor first game out and I was playing it contsantly. My mouse hand is always messed up because I'm so hardcore.

Ninjaboi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009

Ya im able to make a fist no problem. It seems as though i just needed a while off the computer, which i did for 5 days, and the certain minor pain and discomfort is gone pretty much XD. YAY

Ninjaboi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009

Lol dont know what spankwire is, but ya I think its just overuse, not my form of typing. I went to school for this and had to learn the proper way to do everything, including keyboard use. They told us how to tell if you are too far from the computer, and such. ( Which is now that i think about it, they also mentioned to take breaks from the pc XD silly me ).

Ninjaboi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009

Thank you for the helpful reply! I used the first method to see if i had it for 15 minutes, no tingle/pain or anything. I went away from my computer for 5 days to calm down with it, and when i came back to play, no minor discomfort or pain :D sweet! Overuse was the problem. Thank you!

bpogdowz

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Hmm well when I was younger I did take a break for a week or two because I was getting pains from playing an MMO but my body has adapted to using a keyboard and mouse and I just think that I'm so strong that I will never get carpel tunnel syndrome. CTS is actually more associated with sewing back in the 1800's than keyboards and mice here in the 2000s. It's just unheard of but you can still get RSI if you're an idiot.

ac3144

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009

Hey no problem! Glad I could be of help. Pleased to hear you are all better now and back to gaming.
Cheers
AC

Status
Not open for further replies.