Sign in with
Your question

Left 4 dead suddenly stops

Last response: in Video Games
July 24, 2009 8:17:18 PM

I'm playing Left 4 Dead for a while. But the problem is it suddenly stops without any notice and desktop appears. Sometimes it happens after covering 2nd stage and sometimes after 3rd stage. There is no error message no freezing state just desktop appears. Something like desktop is emerging from the game.

I found on the net that it requires 7.5 GB space whereas the dvd of Left of dead that I have got contains 4.39 GB.

I can play call of duty 5 easily.

I'm using ATI Radeon 4890, 2 GB Ram and Core 2 Quad 9400, XP SP 2.
July 27, 2009 9:14:13 AM

Off the top of my head..
Check your application event logs. Make sure your drivers are up to date. Make sure you have enough free hard drive space (if you dont have enough space for the pagefile it will crash while buffering game data back and forth.), L4D will patch after installing so will be bigger than the disk version, also another 2GB ram wouldnt hurt either.
:) 
m
l
July 28, 2009 4:49:15 AM

Defragged your drive lately,,??? Sometimes when a game crashes it is a fragmention issue..Fallout 3 is great for just that..
For what it is worth I have 2g of ram and I do not have a swapfile..:) 
m
l
Related resources
July 30, 2009 10:36:58 AM

nahid08 said:
I'm playing Left 4 Dead for a while. But the problem is it suddenly stops without any notice and desktop appears. Sometimes it happens after covering 2nd stage and sometimes after 3rd stage. There is no error message no freezing state just desktop appears. Something like desktop is emerging from the game.

I found on the net that it requires 7.5 GB space whereas the dvd of Left of dead that I have got contains 4.39 GB.

I can play call of duty 5 easily.

I'm using ATI Radeon 4890, 2 GB Ram and Core 2 Quad 9400, XP SP 2.

That DVD is using compressed data. Even on Steam downloading it is only about 4GB because of the compression VALVe uses.

Try doing a cache verification of the game files. To do that go to Steam then right click on L4D, go to Properties, then Local Content and click it. It should check the game files and make sure they are all there and corruption free.

Then try the game and see if it works.
m
l
July 30, 2009 3:19:53 PM

It's called a memory leak. Wait for a patch.
m
l
!