Why the hate for Crysis???

wrazor

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
This aint about fps, but about liking the game. Almost everybody just bashes crysis on the basis that its just *** and only a benchmark tool. Personally I thought it was well designed and very fun. Worthy of the reviews from critics. Ppl just say COD4>>>>crysis, ofcourse its a question of opinion, but calling crysis poorly designed and boring is just confusing to me. At the worst the game can be called mediocre. How is it really a bad game is what I am wondering. Havent plyed too many fps but I think cryisis and dead space were quite fun. COD4 is good too but i rate the other 2 higher. Am I missing something here?

OK, I dont own it, havnt even played it, but heres a few reasons Ive heard
When it gets to the aliens, its boring and repetitive. The HW that makes this game shine, which would make the game muvh more appeasable to many users is way over head for most, and really diminishes what the possibilities there could have been. You just cant take that out the equation. The game play from most people I know say its ok, some love it, some ...meh, but again, take away the eye candy, andeventually you are taking away from the game.
Also, theres a certain amount of pride for some gamers and their rigs, and when a game isnt totally conquered by their rigs, a lil resentment creeps in

I like Crysis. I played it through about 5 times and go back every once in a while to play different parts. A few days ago after putting together an sli rig as a matter of fact. .... Until I got hardware that could play the game I was a little irked but not to the point I detested it. For those of you who can't play the game, try DX9. It doesn't look as good but it seems to be a little more playable that way..... ??? maybe it's me. The aliens thing mentioned above...... only the part where you gotta go through all that liquid. That, IMO, totally blows and if it weren't for the story line, totally unnecessary. and on a personal note...... only thing I didn't like was having to go through the flying part. Freakin controls didn't seem to work right for me.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
This topic is a little dated seeing as Crysis has been out almost two years. From today's perspective it's a lot easier to get a more realistic view of what Crysis is and isn't, especially if you include Warhead and Crysis Wars. As far as game play, it's a so-so game with a fairly weak/short storyline especially near the end of the original. Personally I find the mechanics of the game to be fun enough to keep me interested for a little while but there's not enough to keep me playing it long term.

But Crysis was never really about the gameplay. Since long before it was release it was touted almost exclusively for it's supposed breakthrough graphics and physics. It was never really expected to be the next great game in terms of gameplay. But the hype for the graphics/physics was so much - combined with the delays - that the game could never live up to the hype. No game could ever live up to the amount of pre-release hype which Crysis had.

There's a varied opinion of exactly how good the graphics and physics are and it's dependent both on system specs and personal taste. Personally I love the way Crysis looks. But realistically the game was doomed to fail to meet the expectations of many. Crysis really isn't a bad game and the complete package looking back almost two years later is certainly worth the price for Maximum Edition. $40 for all the content you get, decent gameplay and a game that still looks a lot better than almost anything else and it's hard to say "Crysis sucks" - but some people are still left with the bad taste in their mouths from 2 years ago.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006

I mean dated as in there isn't really much Crysis hate anymore. Most of the "haters" were the result of over hype and a lackluster release. By now most people are over it (the hype and letdown) and the game is pretty much just judged based on it's merits. Some like it, some don't. There's no questioning it being a demanding game to run but people will still argue over how great it looks because that's just personal taste.

I think most people hated it because they learned the hardware they've been using for so long just suddenly became "old" and not "worthy" so to speak.

As far as FPS games are concerned, Crysis follows the same disappointments FarCry did, and that is the injection of the Trigens in FarCry and the Aliens in Crysis, up until those points each game was very satisfying IMO.

I've lost count of my playing of Crysis and the more you play and use the suit the more the game grows on you, that suit is a very important part of the game play, personally could Crysis have been a better game? Sure!

But it is what it is, and I still like it and play it, but I still play FarCry.

When you get in that section, if you back yourself against a wall you can tear up those aliens, because your gunfire won't move you around.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006

There were also a lot of people who upgraded their systems to the latest and greatest at that time and were disappointed that they still couldn't get great performance at the highest settings.

shrex

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
Crysis even on medium settings looks great and runs great on a modest system, but people wanted to be able to put everything to max and play at 1920x1080 @60fps

even at medium settings its better than most other games graphically. (Dead space was just awful graphically)

look at what the consoles achieved using a combination of low, medium and high settings, it seemed like people didnt want to compromise.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/16/cryengine-3-equal-to-cryengine-2-medium-settings-reveals-comp/

DeeTee_uk

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
To be honest, I don't think most people do hate it. At least, I don't. I was a little disappointed by it, but that was only because I thought it was a little short, and the gameplay went down the pan when the aliens arrived. And I speak from the position of someone who still liked Far Cry after the Trigens turned up in that. As for the multiplayer, I've just never gotten into it. But will I buy their next game? Very likely.

randomizer

Champion

Or better yet: Grab them, switch to strength mode, throw them. Throwing anything in Strength mode kills it instantly.

thesupermedium

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
I think Crysis is fun if you play for like an hour, but no more. It's cool to have super powers, to destory the KPA and Aliens, but the weapons are too repetitive. It's a good game... If you mod it right. Warhead is much better i think.