KarNac

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2003
I know some people won't agree but I am starting to build a few home computers with the Integrated GeForce4 MX GPU with the AGP slot of course. Most of my customers are NOT hardcore gamers, so I thought I could keep the price down. I have recently ordered the Soltek SL-75MRN-L and the Asus A7N8X-VM. I wish THG would compare the new Nforce IGP boards, but no luck. I need the boards to have USB 2.0 and the AGP 8X slot for future expansion. I know there are cheaper boards out there, like the Sapphire with ATI, and Asus A7N266-VM. I would like to hear YOUR opinion on IGP boards, Thank You!

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
I don't think its a bad decision. If you are not using the computer for gaming than it is ok. In the future if you plan to play games like Half Life 2 and Doom III you will need to buy a new graphics card. Also keep in mind that the integrated graphics works off the CPU. So you will lose a slight bit in performance. Here is my system:<A HREF="http://www16.brinkster.com/davemar14/main" target="_new">http://www16.brinkster.com/davemar14/main</A>

endyen

Splendid
Normally I would say Asus but the soltek has the nvidia apu does it not. Still the realtek isn't too bad. Most people undervalue the igp due to past performance. As long as you add a little extra ram the game playing is not terrible. Basic games will run fine. You might even be able to play RTCW and there are a lot of SIM fans out there. There is a need go for it. When your costomers want some decent graphics you can sell them a Radeon.

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
The best mobo that you can buy with IGP is the Epox 8RGA+ mobo....it is not only a great mobo but also a superb overclocking mobo. You can get one for only 99 bucks at newegg.com.....I can play counterstrike at 1600*1200 with 16bit color and it runs very smooth until there is alot of action on the screen and then I gets a little jerky but not bad...overall im very impressed with the integrated graphics....this motherboard also has nvidia soundstorm integrated audio just like the asus a7n8x!

<A HREF="http://dnadesignz.kicks-ass.net" target="_new"><b><font color=green>MY SYSTEM</b></font color=green></A>

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
it is not only a great mobo but also a superb overclocking mobo
No offence here but I can't think of people who get a machine not for gaming purpose would go into overclocking. Why are they overclock if they don't play game? To be able to type faster in M$ Word?

It is morally wrong to allow suckers to keep their money
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

KarNac

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2003
Thanks people for your input, but we went a little off track. The computers being built are for the home user and that do little gaming. I do not plan on overclocking unless requested by the customer. But of course, if they want a system overclocked, I will not be using intergrated graphics board. But I do understand why Epox was mentioned, if the individual wants a low price system but wants the ability to turn it up and add a radeon card for example in the future. Also here is the Soltek link to the SL-85MRN-L>
http://www.soltek.com.tw/English/product/75mrn-l.htm
Thanks for taking your time and replying to my post!

Hardcore AMD!

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
THK....the ability to overclock a motherboard to extreme limits says alot about the motherboard and its stability, which is the question at hand.....I could care less if it is going to be used for overclocking or not but it does speak alot about quality of the components. BTW its still the best igp mobo available right now.

<A HREF="http://dnadesignz.kicks-ass.net" target="_new"><b><font color=green>MY SYSTEM</b></font color=green></A>

Noxious26

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2003
I have a Soltek SL-75MRN-L myself and I'm more than happy with it. I am not a hard core gamer myself (haven't run anything beyond Diablo 2) so I'm sure your customers would be happy. Soltek seems to offer a good board at a good price, but you still don't see them recommended often in forum discussions and I don't really understand why. Brand preference I suppose.

On the topic of the nForce2 IGP, everything that I have heard and read about it basically tells you to forget everything you knew about on board graphics prior to nForce2. The performance greatly outstrips previous mobos with on board graphics. When I bought my board a month ago I read an article (can't remember where) that showed that the IGP worked as well (or better than) as an nForce2 board without onboard graphics and with a GeForce 4 MX video card. So basically you're saving yourself the cost of a video card. I would recommend having atleast 512MB of RAM because your IGP is going to use this RAM (as much as allocated) instead of having it's own RAM like a video card does. This isn't a big issue in my mind, as I think most if not all systems should have atleast 512MB RAM anyways.

deadkenny

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
Why does the integrated video run off the CPU, any more than an AGP video card? The onboard does use system memory and will 'steal' some memory bandwidth. But with dual channel the Athlon can't use all of the memory bandwidth that's available anyway, so the video just ends up using bandwidth that not being utilized.

That (upgrade) which does not destroy you(r system's stability), makes it stronger. Nietzche

deadkenny

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
Sounds like a good plan. What amounts to a 'bargain' system but with excellent upgrade potential. Have you considered the MSI K7N2G-L?

That (upgrade) which does not destroy you(r system's stability), makes it stronger. Nietzche

pat

Expert
I have the 75frn2-rl, without integrated video, and it is a very good board. I plan to do the same as you, and this would be my favorite board to built from for not too much gamer system, based on the experience with mine. And I think that dual channel with integrated video make a good difference in speed, so I will use 2 sticks instead of one if peoples wants to play some game anyway.

good luck

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!