Stability on WinXP, Mobo or Software?

navi

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2003
I am a experienced PC builder and up until recently have had no real troubles. My system (Asus A7N8X, XP2100, winXP, 512DDR 2100) crashed after about four weeks of use and I could not get it to reboot. I tried to re-format with a clean hard drive and that worked for another week, but then it did the same thing. I was so fustrated I took it to a tech and they said it was the motherboard, so I bought a new mobo (same ASUS board) and upgraded processor (XP2500 Barton). It was great for about two more weeks and did the same thing again. I am not overclocking, and have swapped everything but my memory. Once it crahes it will not boot to bios or anything, even if no HD is connected. It will however if I reformat the drive on a diff. computer. I thought it had to be my version of winXP, but I have used it perfectly on my last 4 systems and tested it on my friends new P4 2.4. I have tried to clear the cmos, even UN-mounted the board to see if it was grounding.

I am terribly fustrated and would love for some help or suggestions. I've spent way to much time with this for no success.

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH! I'm going crazy over this.

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
What kind of memory are you using? Also at what speed? I have the Asus A7N8X Deluxe with 512 MB of Corsair DDR400. I had to manually set the memory timings. Here is my whole system: <A HREF="http://www16.brinkster.com/davemar14/main" target="_new">http://www16.brinkster.com/davemar14/main</A>

navi

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2003
I am still using my old Crucial PC2100 512MB (2 x 256). I was saving to get some new memory for DDR400, but having to buy a new mobo set me back. I didn't adjust any of my memory settings, they all seemed correct. Could this be part of my problem? Is it Ok to use my PC2100 on this board? I couldn't find anywhere that said I shouldn't.

navi

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2003
UPDATE: I have everything running after I updated the bios, but things still seem off. Windows update does not offer any downloads and when I shutdown, I get a blue screen, which then reboots my system and I have to power button it off. Still worried to start working on it if it's gonna be unreliable.

endyen

Splendid
The blue screen sounds like a windows shutdown error. Do you have service pack 1? It was supposed to fix this. You may have to do a reload to get rid of the error. As far as your ram goes I have heard of issues with crucial on the a7n boards. You may be ok if you up the ram voltage a little. Good luck.

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
its your ram im almost certain. i have the same board and ive noticed it seems very picky about ram in dual channel mode. try with just one stick in and see if it cures your problems.

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
I think I found your problem. When you had your Athlon XP 2100+ that had a 266 MHz. Frontside Bus. Now that you have an Athlon XP 2500+ that runs on a 333 MHz. Frontside Bus. In order for the RAM and CPU to work properly you will need to run DDR 333 (2700) RAM.