I bought my computer used with xp pro already on it and when i had to refomat
my computer i used the key that came with the disk which came with the
system. so now when i try to download the windows xp service pack 2 it tells
me failed because my product key is invailed without having to spend any
money because i just spent money on my computer how can i fix this problem.
--
Take care and be good and if you can't be good at least be good at
everything you try. lady_whitewolf35

lady_whitewolf35 wrote:
> I bought my computer used with xp pro already on it and when i had to refomat
> my computer i used the key that came with the disk which came with the
> system. so now when i try to download the windows xp service pack 2 it tells
> me failed because my product key is invailed without having to spend any
> money because i just spent money on my computer how can i fix this problem.

If you are trying to install a WinXP Service Pack and getting the
following:

The Product Key Used to Install Windows Is Invalid
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q326904

You need to purchase and use a _legitimate_ full retail copy of
WinXP Pro to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation,
using the new CD and Product Key.

Also, if a valid WinXP license was supposed to be included in the
transaction, don't forget to report whomever sold you the computer to
your local law enforcement agencies; you've been defrauded.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

lady_whitewolf35 wrote:
> I bought my computer used with xp pro already on it and when i had to
> refomat my computer i used the key that came with the disk which came
> with the system. so now when i try to download the windows xp service
> pack 2 it tells me failed because my product key is invailed without
> having to spend any money because i just spent money on my computer
> how can i fix this problem.

Well, it sounds to me like you got taken...
If you bought the computer "used", but from a reputable company - time to
contact them and see what you can do about it. Perhaps (although unlikely)
they gave you a known pirated key UNKNOWINGLY (to them). They may "make it
right".

Unable to install SP2:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/xpsp2/default.mspx

--
<- Shenan ->

See if this applies:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/invalpk.htm
If so, there are a few option on that link, some cost $.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar