Device Manager reports 2 CPUs

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

I have a 3-month-old HP Pavilion a450n desktop computer running Windows
XP SP1.

Device Manager reports two CPUs instead of one, like this:

[machine name]
ACPI Multiprocessor PC
Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz

Is this a symptom of Intel's "hyperthreading," or is my machine very
confused about its own brain?

Thanks,
- Bob

Sunny_12

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
I never had that problem before. But, I use to have the same processor as you, and just a hint for graphics card upgrades, if you are going to get any powerful graphics card, your cpu WILL bottleneck the graphics card. I had the EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT and DAMN the cpu was limiting my graphics card.

Just to let you know and for informational purposes, I'm selling a good quality graphics card, visit http://cgi.ebay.com/XFX-NVIDIA-GeForce-8400-GS-Graphics-Card-L-K-SAVE_W0QQitemZ260469612515QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCC_Video_TV_Cards?hash=item3ca532dfe3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14