Sign in with
Your question

360 or PC or Upgrade PC*$REWARD$*

Last response: in Video Games
July 30, 2009 5:31:50 AM

Please note I'm not rich. I can't use $1337.00 a year for whatever I want.
---------------------------------
===========
Pros

Lots of my friends use it

Don't have to constantly upgrade hardware.

No hackers
==========
Cons

I hate the analog stick because mouse to me is more precise.

Gotta pay for DLCS

No Mods

Dev's pay more attention to their PC games well some games.... for ex. TF2
==========
-------------------------------

PC.
============
Pros.

Lot's of fun mods.

Don't have to pay for DLC

Dev's pay more attention to PC games, for ex. TF2

Mouse is more Precise.
============
Cons

WAY TO MANY HACKERS

Can't afford to pay for new hardware every year
============
----------------------------

1. 360 or http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/build_a_500_p... Give me a reason for your answer.

2. Neither? I should upgrade my PC? Give me a reason for your answer.

I have a:
AMD Anthlon 3800+ 64 x2 dual core Processor
Nvidia 512 mb
3 gb ram.
350 watts or 300 i belive.
it's a HP a1700n model.

3. What can I upgrade with $250, $510, $210, and $470.00

ANSWER the question completley for a chance to win :D 

More about : 360 upgrade reward

July 30, 2009 8:44:30 AM

Well you want to play games do you, in the end it’s all about the games. They will really make your decision no matter how the system costs you. After all what’s the point in getting a unit no matter how cheap, if you’re just going to get fed up with the content?

At the moment for online games I would say the PC fairs better where RTS and FPS is concerned, but I must admit that I’m liking Killzone 2 on the PS3 for online but for a handful of games it’s not really worth it unless you want it for a cool HD Media Centre.

The Xbox in all honesty has not had much happening with it in the last handful of months that I can take any point of reference too, just Resi 5 and the usual sequels. That’s not to say there won’t be something better round the corner coming out. But again this all depends on what type of games you like to play.

In the long run in my opinion games on the PC will cost you a fair bit less and will be a fair bit more varied than on the Box. But then the 360 is cheap and it has a fair good selection behind its belt.

PC BUILDING

On another note you can upgrade your PC to a good standard if the 3GB of RAM you have just now in your PC is in the DDR2 format by simply buying these components:

CPU: Intel Core2Duo Q6600
Motherboard: any motherboard that has a P35 chipset or equivalent or higher spec’ed 775 socket.
GPU: I’m still playing everything at 1680x1050 in high specs with an 8800GTX so anything above that will be fine.

And if you get all that and find out that your system does not run stable you will need a higher spec Power Supply Unit, anything about 700w should do fine for a fair few years. Also worth checking is the size of your case, make sure it’s big enough to house the GPU and motherboard you will be buying.
July 30, 2009 9:26:36 AM

wait for the Xbox 360+ or whatever they're going to call the Natal box since it comes out next year according to numerous sources including THQ.
Related resources
July 30, 2009 12:32:33 PM

cafuddled said:
Well you want to play games do you, in the end it’s all about the games. They will really make your decision no matter how the system costs you. After all what’s the point in getting a unit no matter how cheap, if you’re just going to get fed up with the content?

At the moment for online games I would say the PC fairs better where RTS and FPS is concerned, but I must admit that I’m liking Killzone 2 on the PS3 for online but for a handful of games it’s not really worth it unless you want it for a cool HD Media Centre.

The Xbox in all honesty has not had much happening with it in the last handful of months that I can take any point of reference too, just Resi 5 and the usual sequels. That’s not to say there won’t be something better round the corner coming out. But again this all depends on what type of games you like to play.

In the long run in my opinion games on the PC will cost you a fair bit less and will be a fair bit more varied than on the Box. But then the 360 is cheap and it has a fair good selection behind its belt.

PC BUILDING

On another note you can upgrade your PC to a good standard if the 3GB of RAM you have just now in your PC is in the DDR2 format by simply buying these components:

CPU: Intel Core2Duo Q6600
Motherboard: any motherboard that has a P35 chipset or equivalent or higher spec’ed 775 socket.
GPU: I’m still playing everything at 1680x1050 in high specs with an 8800GTX so anything above that will be fine.

And if you get all that and find out that your system does not run stable you will need a higher spec Power Supply Unit, anything about 700w should do fine for a fair few years. Also worth checking is the size of your case, make sure it’s big enough to house the GPU and motherboard you will be buying.

Can you give me links and a over all price. If you have time can you do this.
Im in a bit of a rush since im on vacation in Taiwan and now I just got back from shopping, and now I have to go to the night market :\
July 30, 2009 3:18:08 PM

If you are planning a upgrade look at tom's for the cpu and gpu comparison that meet your budget.
Go to newegg and look at the cpu/ motherboard combos.
If your memory matches the new motherboard (DDR2 etc..) you should not need memory.
Determine the video card you want.
Also, you might need to get a new PSU. If you are not going SLI you can get a good one for around $50+.
Look for the free shipping and high reviews on the products you select.

And as mentioned before make sure your case is big enough to hold your parts.
July 31, 2009 1:34:27 AM

Anyway to check if it is big enough? Still taking answers guys.
July 31, 2009 2:12:10 AM

skov said:
Anyway to check if it is big enough? Still taking answers guys.

You should probably build from scratch. Why do you have different money amounts? Choose one.
July 31, 2009 2:49:01 AM

bluzman32 said:
You should probably build from scratch. Why do you have different money amounts? Choose one.

If I get $510.00 I can get that PC from maximum PC. $250.00 I was thinking of using it as a upgrade and the rest for MMO payments. $210 is for upgrade and rest as mmo payments. 470 is for a new pc.
July 31, 2009 2:59:42 AM

I am not going to build a pc for you b/c I am not all that familiar with parts on the cheaper end of the spectrum, and also there are many threads like this, just search the forum to find example builds.

Something to keep in mind is that you will probably need to include an OS cost in your system build if you are starting new or are changing motherboards. You have very little left to build a decent system now.

If you do decide to use this amount of money, you will probably regret your choices and end up upgrading again in the near future, and end up spending more than if you had just built with good parts.

I'd suggest saving up some more, maybe $700, or $600 with an OS, then building then.
July 31, 2009 3:41:52 AM

A friend of mine works for Shuttle so he says he can provide me with a os.
August 11, 2009 3:50:50 PM

OH your in taiwan! Me too, my parents are going to be staying in canada for good. so we are selling our house here, for. 600,000 CAD
my dad bought me the following parts because it was so cheap here. so i really think you should buy your stuff here aswell.

i7 920 - 290$ Cad
Coolermaster ultimate 1100w psu - 190$ Cad
G9x - 100$ Cad
steelseries 7g keyboard - 120$ Cad
DFI Lanparty x58 UT - 300$ Cad
G.Skill 3x2gb Trident DDR3 2000mhz - 100$ Cad

and some other things, but the point is that once you go back to your country you won't have the chance to buy cheap computer parts for a while.
August 19, 2009 9:10:39 AM

I went Taipei Computex like one week ago. I saw everything like intel, nvidia, asus, ati, and everything but they didn't sell the graphics cards alone or processors. they were just selling pre built pc's
September 5, 2009 10:44:21 PM

Seriously if that is all you have to spend, get the XBox. Nothing worse than a great game with a $hitty vid card. You'll get used to the stick. I have both, they're different fo sho
!