Sign in with
Your question

PC Won't Pwr Up unless battery removed & replaced

Last response: in Motherboards
June 21, 2003 3:14:10 AM

This is a new install of a Intel D865PERL mobo. It runs fine, unless I turn it off. Then, it won't power back on unless I remove the battery, wait a few minutes and replace the battery. Then, it powers up fine. Very repeatable.

I've tried different RAM and video card. No difference. I have the latest BIOS from Intel. I've taken everything out except a stick of RAM and an old PCI video card. None of the standoffs seem to be out of place. If it's a grounding issue, I can't find it.

Here's what's in it now:
- Intel D865PERLK Mobo
- P4 3.06 GHz with 800 MHz FSB
- Two 512MB sticks of Corsair DDR3200 XMS
- ATI Radeon 9800 Pro w/ 256 MB of DDR-2
- 120 GB Serial ATA Seagate HD
- 120 GB Maxtor ATA HD
- CDR 52x24x52 LiteOn
- Sound Blaster Audigy with external box
- SuperFlower 420W Power Supply
- Zalman CNPS7000 CPU Cooler
- WinXP Pro

Ideas? Thanks.

---There may be more than one way to do it, but why would anyone want to remove the fur from a feline?---
June 21, 2003 4:11:49 AM

You may have to change a new battery. It's possible that new mobo shipped with low power/dead battery.

It is morally wrong to allow suckers to keep their money
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>
June 21, 2003 7:39:23 AM

You mean that you have to reset the bios every time you boot? Check the bios. If nothing else seems wrong, relax the timing on your ram.
Related resources
June 21, 2003 2:29:08 PM

Heya Tuesday;

I need more information to help you, When you say "it runs fine, unless i turn it off" what does that mean? Can you get into your BIOS, does it boot to the OS, without any kind of information like this i cant really help, please elaborate.

XeeN
June 21, 2003 3:11:33 PM

Thanks everyone, but I think I've got it figured out. My case wires for the front panel connection pins on the mobo are not cabled exactly as my mobo needs. One of the pins has three pin holes when two is called for. This cause me to shift my power switch cable over by one pin. So, the whole time, it was my power switch could not switch to an ON state.

I've sucessfully powered up and down several times now, and the power switch and reset switch seem to be working properly now. Not my first stupid mistake, but I'm just happy it's not something really bad.

---There may be more than one way to do it, but why would anyone want to remove the fur from a feline?---
June 21, 2003 3:14:51 PM

Oh, and Crashman, this one might be a good one for the FAQ, since the problem and resolution are so specific. I did a goggle, and found quite a few similar problems.

!