Sim CIty 4 (is evil)

NeoBlademun

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2003
I don't know how many people here have tryed to run this on their system..but it trully is a monster. I think this should be the newwest benchmarking game in tests, because it is the devil. At one community forum, there are page after page of complaints about the system requirements of this game. It is a RAM monster to begin with, plus ineffcient codeing.

Of course, the problem at first is hard to notice. On a high end system problems don't crop up for awhile. However most people complain about things after250-300 K pop in your city. Of course its hard to meausre 'performance' to begin with. Frame rates can be quite high when your not scrolling and everything seems cool. try to move and the Fps drops to abysmal rates. Zooming in or out? Your in for a 30 second to 2 minute wait. Also the progression of "time" slows down as things begin to bog down.

Can anyone provide their own testimony on this Game. I myself was a victim of EAs marketing. The system specs seemed to indicate if I set things down I could play the game with my 800mhz Duron/128 Ram/32Mb TnT Pro vid card. WRONG! After 20 minutes I have to shut down the game because its slowed to a crawl. I ca't wait to have a new system so I can again tackle this thing now sitting quietly in my desk drawer.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
There is a thread on this already, but yeah, it's crazy. I can't play once my city gets to over 100 000 people even on my XP 1900+ and 512 MB DDR. I could probably do alright up to 250 000 people if I played at 640x480, low quality everything, but what's the point?

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

NeoBlademun

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2003
I wish this forum had a search feature so I could find that post. i really don't feel like sifting through pages of posts to get at it.

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Try playing Civ3 when it gets around the 1900's, the game is so slow you can go prepare dinner while the computer takes it's turn.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

NeoBlademun

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2003
Oh, eh heh, so it does. lol

I have played Civ 3 and it does get pretty bad if you go for all 14 (I think) civs on a large-huge map. If you do the regular 8 on hte normal map It runs just fine. I prefer the smaller maps anyway..fighting wars over jupiter sized planets isn't exactly easy. LoL

TRENDING THREADS